“Camino Real Polanco, Mexico City”

Camino Real Polanco Mexico
Ranked #69 of 313 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 10 December 2007

This hotel I return to every time I visit Mexico City. The area, Polanco, is a great location, a wealthy area of Mexico City. As I am on business when I go to Mexico City, Polanco is my area of choice to stay. This hotel won architectural awards when built, it is low-rise, has a distinctly Mexican feel about it and is so unlike the mass -produced high rise hotels which, if you stay in, you could be anywhere in the world , they get that "sameness" about them.
The Camino Real club floor includes a lovely breakfast looking out over the pool, as well as afternoon tea.
I have stayed here many times and always have a great stay. The restaurants in the hotel are fantastic, sophisticated, world class . Great to entertain clients. No wonder the contestants in this year's Miss Universe were staying at this hotel!
For a great Mexican restaurant in the area don't miss "Valentinas", fabulous Mole and mariachis included!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank LagunaMandy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed 29 November 2007

Let me start by saying that for $150 per night I should not be complaining; however, I absolutely cannot believe that this hotel is part of "The Leading Hotels of the World" group which is why I am writing this negative review as one expects certain standards from a LHW hotel.

I got a regular room with a balcony. The balcony was great; however, it overlooked a decorative pool that looked like it was abandoned for months full of leaves okay not big deal but not something you would expect from a LHW. What was really disgusting was the bright green carpeting in our room that looked 20 years old and not vacuumed around the edges. It was so gross I would not walk barefoot. The bedding was gross. The bathroom was marble and large, it was nice but I did not feel it was clean. Minus the bathroom and balcony the room was something you would expect to find in a run down hotel

I thought that I got a bad room because I paid only $150 but then I got to my friends room who got a suite and I was horrified. Aside from the bedding which was much nicer than in my room, the suite was even worse than the regular room I had. The carpet was bright purple, crumbs in the corner. Everything was completely outdated and it did not even have a balcony. The first word that comes to mind to describe this room would be skanky.

The service by the pool was terrible. The staff was friendly and meant well, but they were very slow and kept on messing up our orders both times we were there. I almost lost my appetite when I opened the menu to find a squashed bug ... nice.

What was great about this hotel is that they had many excellent restarants inside the hotel including Le Cirque, Bice, and the China Grill which had a good scene and very cool outdoor bar/lounge called Moon Bar. This was the best part of the hotel and perhaps the only reason I would stay again.

The location was not great as I felt trapped in the hotel, but taxi's are cheap. You must have the hotel call a radio taxi which is a third of the cost of a hotel taxi. The W hotel is much better and in a much better location in Polenco. The best restarant I've been to in Mexico City is Ivorie which is about a 5-10 miniute taxi from the hotel. The food is excellent, the decor is beautiful, the crowd is classy, and there is a great bar on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
6  Thank nycaroundtheworld
Reviewed 11 September 2007

I hate the feeling of being ripped off, and it was inescapable here. Impressed by what I had heard about staying in Polanco, and the famous Camino Real in particular, I booked the Executive Floor for two weekend nights on the hotel website, for a price in US dollars that included all taxes and fees. Use of the club lounge was included, but the food at breakfast was skimpy, the waiter surly on both mornings and the ambiance a bit down at the heels. My room was spacious, but again in need of a facelift. But the real surprise was at checkout, when the hotel's Mexico-peso 'equivalent' of my confirmed US-dollar rate turned out to be about ten per cent higher than the official exchange rate. When I asked about this, the smiling Executive Club receptionist told me that the hotel uses a double exchange rate, one when you book (lower) and one when you pay (higher). She said that "all the hotels in Polanco do this". Whatever. I won't stay there again.

Stayed: August 2007
5  Thank rco56
Reviewed 26 August 2007

So I've decided to write a review after my 28th of more than 50 night stay here at the Camino Real Mexico City in Polanco. Designed by one of Mexico more famous architects, Recardo Legorreta, in 1965, the hotel stands as a beautiful example of regional Mexican architecture. It is well kept.

So while the property itself is fantastic with some of the city's best restaurants, management is distinctly Mexican. With more than 700 rooms, service at best is anything but personal. You get the feeling that the staff doesn't really care about you or your needs since "this is the Camino Real Mexico" - as if that should be enough to impress me. Well I will tell you that the hotel is no where near the "Leading Hotels of the World" standards set outside of Mexico so there is no basis for such attitude.

The internet connection does not work properly for anyone. I say for anyone since I am with a group and we are all experiencing the same problems. For $169.00 pesos per night, I would expect it to work perfectly. In my tests (working around their severe filtering) the connection is actually quite good with 1mb up/down. You will never see that speed in actual use though since they have some sort of system filtering what you can and cannot do. The system will not allow you to reliably sustain streaming and large downloads tend to time out. Some in our group reported problems with certain sites like AOLmail being unusable with hotel pop-ups. For the price they DEMAND for the service it is totally unacceptable performance and substandard to that of "Leading Hotels of the World".

Last weekend I returned to my room at 1:30am only to discover that the room had no electricity. It was pitch black and I had to navigate by cell phone light. I called my colleague who answered his phone, "yep, no power", but he had a letter I did not have. The letter explained that there was maintenance that had to be done and that the power would be off from midnight to 6am. I am understanding of this sort of thing if YOU ARE TOLD ABOUT IT, but to have it be a surprise in totally and completely unacceptable. We left our rooms after 11p and my colleague had not received that notification at that point which means that he would have only had less than an hour's notice anyway. Not one other person in our group received any sort of notification. The worst part is that the power came back on at 6 in the morning with EVERY light in the room on and the TV blaring loud. Again, I attribute this to the Mexican management who, unlike, say, a Starwood property, has much lower standards and quality control. When I called the front desk they had no idea what I was talking about.

The hotel is not exempt from the proverbial Mexico City swamp gas that comes through the drains at random times. The rooms, halls, etc. can smell of a sewer from time to time. Every hotel I've stayed in Mexico City have this problem, but perhaps not as severe as the "Leading Hotels of the World" Camino Real in Polanco.

This all said, the hotel is exciting in that it has people staying in it, visiting its facilities, and constantly coming and going. My room is mostly quiet and in good repair, but a colleague has a minibar that shoots out sparks. The house keeping staff is very good and through and are probably the best part of the package here as they do twice daily service and you see them working well into the night (all the more reason why the lack of notification about the power maintenance is unacceptable). Room service is also very efficient with about a third of the menu presenting some sort of value.

I will continue the review as my stay progresses, but my low overall rating at the moment has EVERYTHING to do with who this hotel "thinks" it is versus what my experience in that expectation has been. If this were a standard Sheraton or whatnot the rating would be higher, but since "this is the Camino Real Mexico City in Polanco" they have much higher standards they have set for themselves... live up!

Stayed: August 2007
5  Thank lekolite
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I stayed 6 nights at this hotel that was booked for me on a recent business trip to Mexico City. My feelings are mixed. I had a good stay and enjoyed the daily use of the gym and pool in the morning. However, breakfast is not included (225pesos pp), nor is wifi or internet connection throughout the hotel. You can get access per 24 hours (160 pesos) or bit less if booked throughout your stay. BTW wifi was extremely slow. So you may want to consider going to any of many available places like Starbucks/VIPS for well priced breakfast AND free wifi...

As a frequent traveler I find it irritating when its clear that they try to earn some bucks on the most basic things.

Furthermore, the lighting in the room was terrible.

The hotel itself is very well known and there exist several other Camino Reals in Mexico. Having stayed only at this one I would advise staying at some of the other 5-star hotels in Polanco. Also since the location of Mariott /W /Nikko is closer to wider choice of restaurants and bars.

There are several restaurants and bars available in the Camino Real itself and did try some. Coffeeshop was good, there is a cool bar on water (although smokey) but at the time they did not even have a menu so you have no idea what your drinks are costing until you get the bill. I also tried one of the restaurant (China Grill) -admittingly good food and very creative but expect at least 1000pesos pp. You can eat as good and better for less in some of the better restaurants in Polanco, Condesa and Roma. Tipping is expected by everyone and everywhere.

All in all interesting to have stayed there once but would not book it myself again if up to me.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Marybel13