“Has great potential to become a 4-star hotel”
Review of Segovia Regency

Segovia Regency
Ranked #93 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 14 February 2017

This was the first hotel in the 3-star budget category we chose to stay in during our vacation in Mexico City. In all, we stayed at three hotels, none for more than 4 days. You will have to read my review of the trip (coming up a few days from now) to understand why we opted not to stay put at one location for the entire 10 day period in Mexico City.

The Pros:
1) Great location. Just 3 mins walk from Metro Insurgentes on Line 1. As you exit Insurgentes, and come out into the open arena, take the tunnel/walkway on your extreme right, climb the few stairs, walk a few steps from there and you are into the hotel.
2) Plenty of shops, eateries, 7-Elevens, Waldos, Oxxos, liquor shops, street food vendors, all within an easy walking distance. As you exit hotel, take your left. Walk for about 3 mins until you see traffic cops. Cross over to opposite side (your right), you will see an Oxxo at the corner. Liverpool and Londres are two busy streets in that area.
3) Plenty of scenic places to sit and people-watch, including admiring the fashionable transsexuals, gays, high-heeled ladies of the night,etc. The Angel of Independence is also nearby.
4) Ice box on every floor and we really found this very convenient and something we missed at the next two hotels.
5) Cleaning staff is efficient and the place was kept very clean – even the broken bidet, the broken toilet flap, etc.
6) Fairly sizeable rooms. We were assigned to an interior facing room which had additional piece of furniture (lounge chair) but we wanted something facing the street and got ourselves re-assigned. The room was a bit smaller and minus the lounge chair.
7) Filtered water from a separate faucet.

The Cons
1) Staff at reception very unresponsive to guests not able to speak in Spanish.
2) Staff at restaurant unable to understand the simplest of orders.
3) The air-conditioning is central and cannot be adjusted. First two nights we were almost freezing. No extra blankets kept for guests’ convenience.
4) Bidet was broken. Toilet flap was broken. Water seepage from faucet bottom.
5) Hotel has party rooms and on one of the nights, the loud music kept us up in the wee hours of the morning.

If the owners of this hotel make the wise decision to upgrade or replace all their failed equipment, this hotel has the potential to become a 4-star because of its wonderful location in Insurgentes. A short course in the English language and a vigorous exercise to relax the facial muscles of the reception staff would also be to the hotel’s benefit.

Travelled in first half of Feb with my adult daughter.
The pic is the view from our room.

Room Tip: Depends on one's liking. We like to look out at the streets and if you are like us, you will cho...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank TrottingMaria
There are newer reviews for Segovia Regency

Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

Stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights of hell. Actually this is an understatement, since the place has NO HEAT, and Hell would have felt decently warm in a Cold Mexico City at nights. Complained about the cold, and they shrugged it off like it was normal.

Their website boasts a 4 star rating for business travelers. That's an embarrassment the moment you realize that they're actually stuck in the 1950's with their decor. I'm sure it was a 4 star Hotel back then, but this is the year of 2016, and someone should notify them that things have changed out there in the real world.

I give this place a 2 star, only because they have parking in the hotel, and the real Gems are the housekeeping and doormen. The front desk guys could care less how you're doing.

I'll never stay here again.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marietta C
Reviewed 8 November 2016

This is a very old and poorly maintained hotel. It is literally stuck in the 70s, Even the services are outdated. The security box in the room is just a metal box that needs a lock that you get from the front desk. The Air conditioning in the room is a joke. It is just a vent with a wooden door that you open or close depending on how cool you want your room. Rooms are very small and simple, which is not a problem except for the fact that all the furniture and decor has been there for decades. In summary, this hotel is in urgent need of remodeling or at the very least maintenance.
The hotel includes parking on site (small) and a restaurant. Although it is very inexpensive, I wouldn't recommend this as for sure there are more modern and comfortable hotels in the area.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2016

I just stayed for 5 nights. I found this hotel to be a sound place to stay and a good value. 3 doors down from a police sub-station, means it is very safe. 5 doors down from the subway, means it is very easy to get around town and the short walk back to the hotel makes it easier to relax.

I did not visit the restaurant, but it always seemed filled with guests, so it must have been a nice one.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2016

I have stayed at Hotel Segovia Regency for many years. I frequently travel to Mexico City for business and pleasure. I have recommended the hotel to many for years. Usually I travel with friends and colleagues and we rent multiple rooms.

During my last 2 stays, I have been very disappointed with the attitude of some staff and with the less than adequate advertised amenities. My last trip 2 weeks ago, I traveled with 6 friends and we had 5 rooms among the 6 of us. We made the reservations well in advance (3 weeks). We arrived and due to a mistake, which I assert was the hotel's reservation staff, were charged for an extra night. We reserved to come in on a Friday in accord with our flight reservations. The hotel said we reserved for Thursday. I tried to argue that the mistake was on the part of the hotel, which most businesses would side with the customer when a doubt exists. The reservations staff and the front desk staff would not concede. We paid the extra night. I shared with the desk staff that the hotel should send an email with confirmation information, to avoid this type of mistake. When you make over the phone reservations, you have no written documentation.

My second issue is with the hotel internet. It is advertised that the hotel has free WiFi through out the hotel. The internet does not work. I stayed at the hotel in August and this past trip two weeks ago and both times the internet was not functional. When the front desk was notified, the response was uncaring and not oriented toward solving the problem. One of the guest in my party was treated very rudely and told "you can come down to the lobby if you want to use the WiFi."

I emailed a letter of complaint to the manager and did not get any response. I am very disappointed. I thought I would get a response first of all as a customer, but also as a frequent customer.

I will be looking for other hotels in the area that value their customers and that are keeping up the hotel and its amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms on interior away from street are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends