“Not for the "working class"”
Review of El Jamil

El Jamil
Ranked #230 of 5,451 Restaurants in Mexico City
Price range: USD 25 - USD 35
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Condesa
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

I was recommended this place by a so called Self proclaimed middle class type of person. He said it was an Arabic -French fusion restaurant. They didn't have an English menu. It didn't matter as , fortunately I knew a lot of the cuisine types from my middle East travels. It was aiming to cater for more wealthy people of the area and those who fit Into the image. We had a meze of tabouleh and baba ganoush and hummus with bread. All delicious! Good portions. I ordered Tawouk (chicken cubes on skewers) for main. This was a big disappointment as just 2 skewers and no vegetables or salad to it. The taste of the chicken was lovely nevertheless. The cost was 150 mxn I think. The service charge was 15% rather
than the usual 10 %. Why? I don't know !
The target customer was obviously for the "well heeled " as no ordinary Mexican here would be willing or able to pay the prices. What with my friends ' meal he had plus simple cans of water, the overall cost came to 1, 115 mxn!!! This could have paid for a banquet some other place more humble . In the middle East/north Africa this food would have cost significantly less in a more universal and approachable eating venue . It was a one off treat whilst on holiday. Stung in the wallet department! I wish them well as there's plenty of people dining here. Service was polite and efficient .

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

We had a beverage made of mint with peppermint it was delicious!! we had vegetarian vine leaves hojas de parra they were very good, hojas parta with meat, also very good, babaganush it is made of eggplant it was awesome, rice with lentil it was salty, rice with pasta it was ok, kipe crudo it was delicious!! Spinach empanadas were good, grilled artichoke with green beans (habas) it was delicious, they gave us pita bread, but we had to ask for more because the waiters were not paying to much attention, for dessert we had arab pastries, the best one was bride fingers, they didn’t have baklava and the waiter forgot to bring one that we asked, I asked for a double turkish coffee and he also forgot it, he brought me a single coffee, one thing: the size of the cup for the turkish coffee is very small, the food is very good, the service could be better, for sure i would go again, also for the first time i tasted the hooka, or shisha, so so...

Reviewed 5 October 2017

indulge yourself in an arabic restaurant in the heart of the condesa, very cozy place, nice music, typical arabic food , mainly lebanese cuisine, a nice try when you are done eating taco or mexican food.
you can have hookah, and arabic coffee.
their sweets are home made and really delicious

Reviewed 15 September 2017

This was one of the best Lebanese restaurants in the city but quality and service have declined. It has become hit and miss really. I used to go at least twice a month but some bad experiences have kept me away at times.
Traditional dishes and drinks. It is a good option still if you are craving Lebanese food and are in the area.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We come back again and again to this wonderful restaurant. The food is delicious, elegant and casual, always a pleasure. This is great Lebanese food!