All reviews gorditas wall hangings other guests high ceilings every morning the owner manager cathedral bells breakfast room rooftop terrace place to stay b and b just like home cobblestone streets breakfast burrito other travelers rooms are large beautiful room
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Beautiful, authentic Mexican house! Suzani room was spacious, had high beamed ceilings, large bed, gorgeous Mexican textile decorations and a comfortable bathroom with a Mexican painted ceramic sink. The view from the roof deck is stunning! Local furnishings, artworks and plants create an authentic but streamlined colonial design. Centrally located, less than 5 minutes to the main square and around the corner from good restaurants. Breakfasts were delicious and varied - hearty mains, papaya, fresh squeezed juice, coffee, pan dulce. Hugo is a lovely host, full of useful advice and personable hospitality. We loved it!

1  Thank DersuUzala
Hugo A, Owner at Alma del Sol Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Muchas gracias, it's my pleasure and joy to have you stay with us, anytime you want to return, my armas are open to welcome you back.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

We arrived at Alma del Sol after spending 5 days in San Miguel de Allende. We really did not have any sense of how much we would love the city and Alma del Sol. The owner, Hugo, was out waiting for us when our taxi pulled up. He gave us a warm welcome and a tour. The location is perfect for walking all over town. The breakfasts were delicious and Hugo was there to talk to us every morning. He had great restaurant recommendations. He even told us the table number to sit at to watch the troubadours start their rounds from near Teatro Juarez. We wish we had more time to stay and soak up the atmosphere. We would have enjoyed Alma del Sol even if Hugo weren't there but thankfully, we got to experience his hospitality. I look forward to going back someday. Thank you Hugo!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our window room with balcony and views of the church. Beware, the church bells are loud but part of the charm.
1  Thank smartinq
Hugo A, Owner at Alma del Sol Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2017

Thank you for your warm review. I truly enjoyed meeting you and hopefully I get to see you again around this area. It's amazing what happens when the university is in session, so more more to see and do, not to mention to hear, it's such a musical city. Muchas gracias again and please return, I might even have my new place open, Hotel del Color. Such a warm and charming place it will be with not so loud bells and very quiet.
Hugo

Reviewed 29 December 2016

Just to reiterate what many travelers have already said: Hugo is an exceptional host. He helped with advise for restaurants and even what dishes to order, but also was a pleasure to listen to his stories during margarita time--yes, he invited us for his homemade cocktails on the gorgeous rooftop. He even gave us a lesson on how to better appreciate mescal, and to understand the differences between mescal and tequila--using his private stash as "school supplies."

Also to reiterate: the suites are very large, with two beds, and have a spacious, comfortable private bathroom.

The only reason we must knock off a star is because of the noise from the street and the church bells. We definitely recommend ear plugs. This however, should not keep anybody from staying at this wonderful BnB

Room Tip: I believe there are quieter rooms available off the street side, but they might be smaller.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Hola, it was great having stay with me, let's have another round of mezcal anytime! and by the way, the more mezcal, the less you will hear the bells....
un abrazo fuerte

Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

The true jewel of this BNB is its host, Hugo. He is the friendliest, warmest, most helpful host I have ever come across. He serves a mean breakfast and you will have to tear yourself away from the great conversation you will inevitably be having about food, restaurants, and sites or just about anything else. The hacienda is lovely, the rooms comfortable , breakfast is delicious but what I loved the most was hanging with Hugo! Go meet him!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Hugo A, Owner at Alma del Sol Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

Thank you for such a warm note, I love all comments and more appreciation if you return or tell your friends, I truly enjoy what I do and WELCOME BACK!

Reviewed 5 December 2016

I first stayed at Alma del Sol in January of this year, for 2 weeks and recently returned with a group of 6 people for a week. Everyone loved their stay in this gorgeous 17th century hacienda, with it's high ceilings, beautiful decor, wonderful roof garden with fabulous panoramic views of Guanajuato and most importantly, its warm and charming host Hugo.

The rooms are large, beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The beds ....... well it's like sleeping on a cloud, they're so comfortable.

The breakfast is the best I've ever had anywhere. Different every morning, fresh and delicious. Every night at 6pm Hugo hosts a fun and lively "Happy Hour" where guests get a chance to mingle and share their day's adventures over a delicious Margarita or two.

We also did a printmaking workshop with Hugo. He has a fabulous studio 5 mins walk in another hacienda, where each day we walked after breakfast. Even though my group had no art experience, Hugo is such an excellent and patient teacher, everyone felt comfortable and produced surprisingly good artworks. What a great way to travel, immersing yourself in the life of the city, learning a new skill and having a wonderful reminder to take home and show your friends.

Room Tip: My favourite room is Suzani for a single or couple or the suite India is a great option as the bedrooms are separate with a shared bathroom.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank ArtTravelAdventures
Hugo A, Owner at Alma del Sol Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2016

Muchas gracias, cannot wait to see you back and we can do it all over again. I very much enjoyed having such a wonderful group here, the energy and the talent was the best I have experienced in a group staying for such a short time. It seems like is never long enough of a stay.
Thank you again and again ARTTravelAdventure