“A magnet”
Review of Jardin de la Union

Ranked #4 of 80 things to do in Guanajuato
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular plaza is the center of social activity in the city.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Every day I found myself walking in or through this great square. The trees and shade are a great place to rest while you listen to music from the strolling muscisians and mariachis. There's a nice view of the square from La Terraza restaurant on the corner.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)
All reviews
in 78 reviews
"benches"
in 75 reviews

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Lots of restaurants in this pretty garden area with fountains and wrought iron benches and in the evenings there are many musicians playing.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

This postage size park offers a nice escape from the crowds in the busy streets. The fountains and hedges give it an exotic feel.

1  Thank inov8or
Reviewed 22 March 2018

This is a lovely plaza with nice buildings all around and lots of activity. I have never been a fan of the sound of dueling mariachi bands - so I am not sure I would eat dinner on a patio around this square (but we did have drinks and snacks). This is one of the buzzing meeting spots in town.
On the sidewalk across from the Teatro, we met Manuel, our walking tour guide. He was one of a number of guides milling about with id tags around their necks.
We went on a 2+ hour walking tour with Manuel. He charged $400 pesos for my wife and I - an outstanding deal! He walked us all around the historic city from the Teatro Cervantes at one end to the Alhondiga de Ganaditas at the other. We went into a number of churches and into the university admin building. He told us many stories about Mexican and local history. I also peppered him with questions along the way. What a great resource!
Manuel revealed that he was 77, born and raised in GTO. He learned English and got his guide licence when he retired from 35 years of pottery making ("kicking the wheel") at age 60 (he also gave us a little seminar on pottery). He is an excellent raconteur - both for his personal stories (alter boy in one of the grand churches) and for the information he shared about his city. This tour was one of the best things we did on our recent trip to central Mexico.
I thought I would mention this because we always wonder where to find tour guides when we go to new cities. In GTO, the place is the Jardin de la Union and Manuel is definitely worth your time. He is the older chap wearing a dashing hat and a guide permit around his neck.

1  Thank NorthVanDMo