All reviews sunset bar la ropa ceiling fan great staff and service traditional dishes infinity pool filtered water the hotel's restaurant senor frogs ordered lunch mexican holiday basic hotel private terrace cab ride zihuatanejo bay stairs hammocks
Reviewed 16 March 2018

This is a place that is under rated. We stayed here with our two sons 9 year old and 7 year old with Down syndrome. They loved exploring, eating at the beach, playing in the pool, playing at the beach. This is by far the best location on La Ropa. Our room #20 was mid way up the hill, close to the pool, beach and not that far from bar and restaurant. The staff is friendly, our room was very nice and clean. My boys loved the hammock. We did use the ac as we didn't figure out the ceiling fan (its a button near the light out lit) until a few days in. Most of our meals were taken at the hotel and a few dinners at the hotel bar with an outstanding view. The comments on the stairs worried me, we had stayed here about 10 years ago without kids. They were not a problem and I actually felt like I could enjoy all the beer, salsa, guac and chips I wanted. The fajitas were fantastic! We did use the filtered water and ice. This may not be a place for everyone, however, it is unique and the views and experience would be those you would find in Europe for less $$.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

I would not recommend anybody to ever evr stay here.. hard beds tv didnt work safe no work bar closes at 10 pm . Only 1 dirty staibed up tiwel in bathroom. Overpriced .. veryverybad place.. id rather sleep inna tent

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2018

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights around new years. It is a great hotel. It was very busy as is to be expected during this time of the year. Clean rooms and the staff were very helpful. Awesome ocean view from the room. Lots of stairs to climb from the room to the beach. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FairbanksWanderer
Reviewed 13 December 2017

We have stayed many times at Catalina and were there in Nov 2017. The staff are gracious and any questions or requests are quickly addressed. We booked a Playa Suite room that is close to the beach, has AC and was recently remodeled. Will return again. We appreciate the classic charm of the Catalina, along with the availability of a range of rooms and rates; we have stayed in several different room types and were always satisfied with rooms and service.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NW1804
Reviewed 3 December 2017

This hotel is a crumbling ruin. Upon check-in, we were given a room with no AC, no telephone, no wifi. For shame! After two days of complaints, being told that there were no vacancies, we were moved to an acceptable room with proper air and wifi. It was large and clean, however beds were rigid and pillows were prison issue. Towels are grey and threadbare, bathroom faucets are crusty. Many stairs, over 200, from top to bottom. I am in good shape and could have passed out. Everything in disrepair, pool area has broken chaise lounges, and there is a dump yard for broken furniture behind the pool. On the plus side, La Ropa beach is great, and the hotel employees are kind and hard working. Most of the guests are returnees on a nostalgia tour. Couldn't pay me to come back.

Room Tip: I asked for the best and was willing to pay for it. My initial room was basic and stifling.
Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family