All reviews sunset bar la ropa ceiling fan infinity pool great staff and service traditional dishes filtered water the hotel's restaurant senor frogs ordered lunch mexican holiday basic hotel private terrace no elevator shrimp cab ride zihuatanejo bay
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Hotel is OK, pool is good and beach is great, although this last thing has more to do with mother nature than with good hotel management. Beds are as bad as they can be, pillows are not only as slim as sheets but are also dirty as...well, real dirty. I decided to move out of the hotel after one night even when I had booked 5 nights, when I told the receptionist I was checking out, he said "OK", I was a little surprised he didn't even asked why or even "how did you like your stay?" for that matter. So, very poor management.

Room tip: Just make sure you have clean pillows and decent mattresses.
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
20  Thank Luis42644
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This was our first trip to Zihuatanejo. The Catalina Beach Resort was exactly as described in other reviews. We stayed in a "deluxe bungalow" which was not a bungalow at all, just a larger room with air conditioning. The air conditioner blew right on the beds, which was a bit of a problem at night. There are a lot of stairs and for longer stays (we only stayed 4 nights) you would get used to them but my legs stopped hurting the day we left. However, being right on the beach was worth it - we love having access to beach chairs/lounges where we stay - I would not want to stay anywhere other than right on the beach. Playa La Ropa is a great beach - clean, not too rough and there is a nice snorkel spot nearby. It would be nice if there were a greater variety of restaurants on the beach for dinner - some of the best ones are quite a walk from Catalina and by dinner time we were too tired to try them. The one right next to Cataline - Elvira - was excellent, however. The pool is to die for - great view and just the right temperature.

I did get some insect bites the day before we left but I think it was mostly on the beach and I probably neglected repellant that day. I was not overly bothered by mosquitoes as I usually am when I travel to the tropics.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It would be a good place for a couple that wants a quiet place to stay or a family that doesn’t want to worry about the kids getting lost from their room to the beach.
It’s located only a 5 min. cab ride or a 20 min. walk from downtown.
Its beach is clean and quiet and there was hotel staff on the beach to meet our needs. The Hotel is built on a hill so there are steps to walk but we found the steps to not be a problem. It’s an older hotel, built in the 50’s so don’t expect a ‘Hilton’ 5 star environment but its clean, quiet and safe. The staff was very helpful and "Celso" that works the front desk is more than happy to help you with any needs. The Restaurant is a nice place to eat with a great view of the ocean and reasonable prices. The staff didn’t have a problem with me grabbing stuff to eat or drink and taking it back to the room. We stayed in a Bungalow; I believe room 41 which is half way between the beach and the lobby/restaurant. It was HUGE! It would easily sleep 4 because of the two couches. There was A/C [which you must have] a T.V and refrigerator. Two hammocks’ and a day bed on the patio, with a beautiful view of the ocean. The refrigerator was nice to have because it saved a little money for food. The pool was very clean with ‘priceless’ view of the ocean. The doors needed trim at the bottoms so we used our spare towels to block out the crabs from the beach from coming in at night but once we put the towels down it wasn’t a problem.
I would not stay in Ixtapa because there’s not much there. Only a couple places to shop [Zihuatanejo has hundreds of little shops] and there’s only a couple places to eat, where Zihuatanejo has many more place to eat at. The locals live in Zihuatanejo and a lot of them work in Ixtapa. Bandido's De Zihua, restaurant, in Zihuatanejo was too expensive for what you get.
Don’t go to the Los Gatos beach, its small and crowded. Go to Ixtapa Island to snorkel, its much nicer. A 40 peso cab ride from the hotel to downtown Zihuatanejo and a 10 peso bus trip to the Los Gatos beach in Ixtapa will have you snorkeling in 90 min’s easy.
Hope this information helps you. From an American living/traveling in Mexico for almost 12 months now, Tim.

Room tip: A/C is a must have.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

No doubt the grounds/gardens that this hotel is set in are BEAUTIFUL, the staff very polite & friendly, views spectacular, food nice & reasonably priced...but the place/rooms VERY dated, substandard & nowhere near 4 star. No windows, just bug screens (which are not very effective) & things have been patched not repaired. The bathrooms need a complete overall, as do the rooms really. Easily liveable though, but get the room bug sprayed straight away by the staff to save your blood being drained by mosquitos. If you can tolerate the cons the grounds of this place & views make it a worthwhile stay. Loads of steps to climb too if you need to get fit!!

Room tip: Make sure you go through everything in the room to make sure it works. Many of the fridges are pretty old & I checked straight away. The first looked unhygenic & didn't work properly. They replaced it. Ask for beach towels for the loungers on the balcony straight away. The staff are helpful, but not intuitive really. Look at the bathroom so see how bad a state it is in. Make sure all the bug screens fit & are not holed. All the mosquito bites on a night time are what really damaged this hotel for me. They really should have mosquito nets over the beds if they are not going to have glass windows.
Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
11  Thank Mickey N
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My family has traveled many times to Zihuatanejo, several times with friends. Of the several hotels we have stayed in, we have returned again and again as we love the Catalina. This hotel is wonderful- very very low key. Built upon a hillside just steps from the beach (lots of stairs- all part of the hotel- staircases wind down to the beach from the restaurant level). A Zihuatanejo tradition, for almost half a century. Built with it's (former) sister hotel next door (- separated by a family feud), the Catalina has maintained the ease and charm of this wonderful resort. Perfectly located on Playa La Ropa- the best of several Zihua beaches. Extremely friendly friendly and accommodating staff- one feels totally at home here.

There are wonderful views of the bay from almost every room. The balconies looking over the water are fantastic. This place can be as restful or as active as you would like. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Room tip: Reserve early. The best rooms in high season are snapped up by regulars, so plan ahead.
Date of stay: August 2011