“A great mix of flavor”

Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Description: From steak to seafood, vegetables to burgers, anything that Rufo can throw on his grill he does -- and to much success, too. The outdoor restaurant fits perfectly with the charcoal grill flavors, fresh corn tortillas and hearty homestyle portions that makes Rufo's so popular. There's often a crowd during high season but it's worth coming early or staying late to get a taste. Rufo is a personable host and takes extra effort to make each customer's experience unique and fully satisfying. He has even been known to bring out a large platter of grilled steak, ribs, fish and shrimp for a group to sample when they can't make up their mind. There isn't a huge bar selection but the margaritas are strong and the beer is cold. On a hot Zihuatanejo night, what more could you ask for?
Reviewed 2 April 2017

Another little surprising place around the canl on the way to the beach. Kind of right at the corner, and uncharacteristally intriguing, I stopped to take a look after seeing the advertisement for Fresh Yellow Tuna. I'm not a seafood fan, but, ribs, pork, steak, and some other things caught my eye. The menu has many selections, but it's kind of a simple layout, so nothing fancy. That's up my alley. I saw that the prices looked rather good, too. Several pesos less than others along the way. No pressure at the entrance while browsing the posted fare. They don't take credit cards. I was there around 1830, and the sun is on its way down, but it wasn't crowded, and busloads of tourists had come in. I ordered the Arrachera and it was season well and cooked just to my liking. A little squash, a little carrot, some french fries, beans, guacamole, oh my! They had also teased me with several appetizing salsas and flavors, pico de gallo, salsa picante, with tortilla chips. I had all that and a glass of sweetened iced tea for 255 pesos MXN. I post the prices in my reviews since I don't know what mid-range or expensive any more and it depends on which country. Also, they had a "piano man" in the front who also played a little sax. Well worth the visit and company. Good attentive staff. Clean. Prompt service. I had been looking for a nicely done steak/meat.

Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Cocktails were small for the price paid. Waiter not friendly. Took a long time to get the chips and salsa dip. Meals came 2 minutes after the chips and dip. All 3 of us had ribs which were good. Included French fries. Got exactly 5 fries. Paid for the bill and there was no thank you.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

Twice I've had the grilled shrimp -delicious! Reasonably priced and includes a basket of tortillas chips and various dips. The margaritas are excellente, although they come in ordinary glasses. The musicians are wonderful - more than background music.

Reviewed 26 February 2017

This place is outstanding. Super authentic, folksy, killer food, and great live music. Wish Rufo had a place in Vancouver but then it would never be anywhere near as good.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

Burgers, meat and chicken dishes all good. It's rustic and the owner very Mexican and that's good. Cooking school offered there too. Bring the kids they are welcome