New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Mansfield, Texas
“True relaxation, with minor hiccups.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed at Secrets April 29th-May 5th, in a Preferred Ocean-View Room. Upon arrival we were taken back to the preferred building for check in. We arrived on a Sunday, I suspect the desk guy was not regularly working here. We didn't receive welcome cool towel or drink. And it didn't seem like he had a good routine for covering all the info he needed to. We arrived around 2 and he welcomed us to get some food or drinks, due to our room needing an hour before it is ready. However, he didn't give us a map or tell us where anything is. The rest of our trip there were mainly two different people at the front desk of the preferred building, these people were helpful.

One main complaint are the room categories. The only difference between a "Garden-view" and "Ocean-view" is OV rooms are floors 4 and up. Looking directly out of the room you have an amazing view of the Now resort. If you go out on your balcony, you can see the ocean rather well, but only after going to the balcony. My advice, unless you like being up higher, the difference paid for an OV room isn't worth it. (mine was an extra 200 for 6 nights)

The other complaint (or disappointment). We didn't stay or look at the rooms not in the preferred area. The Preferred Lounge with snacks- Not really worth the extra paid. I guess the only difference for preferred is the jacuzzi on the balcony, the preferred lounge, and preferred bar, wifi in room (only worth-while option), and refreshed mini-bar maybe.
-We never used the jacuzzi.
-The B-fast and snacks in the lounge were not worth the extra paid.
-The preferred bar has the same liqours the rest of the resort has.
Not to mention the main building actually does have an ocean view from the room.
Other resorts I've been to, The Royal Playa and Cancun, have pool and ping pong in their lounge, which would have been nice as there were other couple that were always hanging out in the lounge area. Also, the view walking to our room was not so great. Never saw workers showering, though.

The food- Overall was amazing for an all inclusive. We learned from other people's reviews and steered clear of the fish tacos. I did have the sea bass at bordeaux and it was just ok. Other than that we didn't eat fish. Neither of us got SICK. (We did have the occasional longer visit to the restroom, but we expect that in Mexico.) Even the Buffets were at least 1 star better than most AIs. You will be making several trips to the Now side for food though.

The resort- Everything was spotless and well groomed. They were even sifting sand on the beach so that it is less rocky. Annoying for us, somewhat, but will be nice for future guests.

The beach- Not BEAUTIFUL, but pretty for a beach. The beach is maybe 30 yards from the cabanas to the water. Waves a pretty rough, and water is pretty cool. Never saw anyone get into the ocean.

Pool service- Was great. Good drinks, and the server will even bring food from oceana. Efraim was great, first day he brought us several different shots, amazing.

Tipping- I never felt pressured to tip as some of the reviewers did. There were instances that I didn't have any tipping dough so didn't even worry about it, and although they seem to be expecting it, they would just walk away without being pushy.

Room service- Mostly on time, but still have kinks to work out. The resort has an app you can use for various things, one is room service. We ordered 4 times I believe, 3/4 they tried to call to verify the order and 2/4 were not brought the right time. I could have called, but they have an app, I didn't feel it necessary. Also, they have the secret box to leave the food in, however the servers always bang on the door until you answer it, simply to ask you if you want it in the box.

Overall- The resort is new, and although they have a couple things to work out, overall I would go back. It was a relaxing vacation, with great servers, and wonderful food.

Best Tip- Get a regular OV room (Don't bother with preferred)
We try to get the "VIP" service wherever we go, usually WAY worth it, not so much here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Logan I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I planned a last minute trip to Secrets, solo, based on my work schedule, a great deal, and a true need to get away for a while! It was a fairly short, 4 night stay, and the property was lovely. You are greeted with champagne and a high level of attention. Fast check-in, but my complaint about that process, is the effort to sell you on some sort of time share-like deal...really reprehensible, in my opinion. When you have paid a decent sum to be at the resort, you should not be getting pressured throughout your stay there (I was called 2x in my room in the next 3+ days) to come to a time share presentation!!! Otherwise, the food, the service, the pools, the room - all receive very high marks. I was actually quite surprised by the quality of the restaurant food on the property - but if you can help it, stay away from room service. Any food ordered that way tasted like cardboard. Most importantly, per my Review Title, be aware that this is definitely a couples resort - old, young, gay, straight, whatever... but ALL couples. I think I was the only single person there my entire week. Maybe if you get a big enough group of singles to all come to Secrets at the same time, that would be fun. But otherwise if you go by yourself, be prepared to be somewhat bored. Bring a lot of books!

Room Tip: The ocean facing junior suites are really lovely - don't necessary "upgrade" to the to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
13 Thank Christine M
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed at Secrets after getting married at another resort in Puerto Vallarta. The adults only side of the resort was quiet and provided an oppurtunity for relaxation. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. We stayed in the preferred level rooms. The biggest benefit being the private snack buffet and bar. The bartender was very friendly. On criticism was at the pool. When the resort gets busier I can see a limited amount of space around the pool. Also, it was touch to get good service around the pool for drinks and food. We ordered food once that never showed up. Overall it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Marcus K
Sherman Oaks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I just returned from a wonderful stay at Secrets Puerto Vallarta, to celebrate my husband’s birthday. This was my first time in Puerto Vallarta and my second stay at a Secrets Resort (Previous Stay: Secrets Montego Bay, which was BEYOND WONDERFUL).

The Good:

The hotel is simply beautiful. The decor was a step above SMB, which doesn’t even seem possible. It’s obvious their design team ideas improve with each addition. The staff is beyond friendly and jump at every opportunity to make your trip enjoyable. Another reviewer noted they felt forced or even coached into tipping, this was not my experience and I highly doubt that reviewer’s story. The staff was surprised and grateful for all tips, which made you want to tip even more. And who doesn’t tip at a resort? For God sakes, they bring you food at 5am.

The food was good, especially room service which was always prompt. As you read through reviews on all-inclusive, beware of the people who whine about food. These are usually the same people who live on fast food. 8-) It’s an all-inclusive, so expect good but not great. The highlight for me was the
Japanese restaurant.

The Not-So Good, but I Expect Will Improve:

Liquor: The liquor was watered down to the point it was almost laughable. When traveling to any resort you should expect the drinks to be watered down, for economic and safety reasons. For some reason vacationers don’t always use the best judgement when consuming alcohol. I expect as the resorts occupants increase so will the liquor level.

The sparkling wine was great.

The Bad, That Can’t Be Fixed:

Adults Only? Well not really. SPV is literally right next door to the family-friendly Now Amber. We woke up every morning to the sound of children swimming in the pool. We would sit on our balcony and watch them play. Comparing the fact the Now Amber pool was active at 9am, while the SPV wasn’t active until around noon was amusing.

Should this fact stop you from visiting SPV? Not a chance. The resort is worth every dime.

Room Tip: All rooms have a ocean view, but paying for the "ocean view" guarantees a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank SonyaStew
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear Sonya,

On behalf of all our staff of Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta receive our most sincere appreciations for such nice and positive comments of our Resort. We are more than happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have exceeded your expectations!

As you stated in your review there are certain areas that need our attention such as our liquor drinks that were not of your entire satisfaction. Please note that our Food & Beverage Manager will make the proper improvements in this area to ensure that our guest

We understand that it can be quite difficult to keep down the noise of the children in our nearby sister Now Amber property, although we do have many areas where you can enjoy freely of the tranquility and privacy that Secrets Vallarta Bay has to offer to all our guests!

Once again, thank you so much for the positive feedback! We look forward to serve you in the near future!

Karen Curiel
Social Media Coordinator of Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Buffalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

My boyfriend and I didn't know what to expect staying at this resort 2 weeks after it opened, but we could not have been happier! Weather was beautiful, staff was amazing, food was delicious the place has I think 9 restaurants all inclusive, as well as 24 hr all inclusive room service. Drinks were amazing too all top shelf, even grey goose vodka available ! Would definitely recommend to anyone! Mostly couples were there but also some adult kids and their parents great for anyone looking for a relaxing getaway!

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank xprincess366x
Mauricio M, General Manager at Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Receive a warming hug from Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta,

We are beyond excited to hear that we have exceeded your expectations during your last visit with us!

Please be sure that our Food & Beverage Manager will be notified about your nice feedback in regards to the food and the drinks that you enjoyed in all our restaurants!

We thank you for sharing your positive comments and we will be waiting for you and your friends soon!

Karen Curiel