“Great family vacation second year in a row”

Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Ranked #47 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just returned from Melia Puerto Vallarta for our second year in a row during spring break for my children. We have three kids- ages 11, 9, and 5. We have been to multiple all-inclusive resorts including Club Med and Iberostar. This is the best family value vacation and the easiest to visit. It is a 5 minute cab ride from the airport! but you don't hear any planes during your stay. It is also a 10 minute and inexpensive cab ride (we took the bus one way) to downtown PV. There is a lovely Marina across the street with restaraunts and stores.

What makes Melia great for my family is that it offers a special family package for a great price with one room to accommodate all of our children comfortably so we don't have to get two rooms like other hotels. The family concierge, Corina, helped us both years with special accommodations for my child's food and breathing allergies. We were able to email our needs in advance and always received a prompt response. Corina is so helpful and friendly and a very hard worker. My kids received special gifts when we arrived, in addition to milk and fresh baked cookies every evening. The kids club has many activities and optional drop in at your convenience.

The entertainment is amazing- the dancers are also acrobats and amazingly talented, seemingly professional. The Circus Show and Illusion Show cannot be missed, but all others are also spectacular.

Each year we met very nice families from America, Canada, and Mexico, and our kids played with them throughout the trip. The food is representative of many other all-inclusives, and though it is average, we always found something to enjoy at every meal. My kids were able to eat at different times than us if they wanted, as there is always food being served somewhere. The drinks are also great- many choices, great bar and pool service, very flavorful. I mostly drank mojitos but my husband enjoyed the "dirty monkeys."

The pool is large and zero grade in different parts, so all of my kids swam in it for hours each day, but be careful because the tiles at the bottom are coming loose and many people including my daughter got cut from the edges. Although the ocean is rough for the little ones, my husband and older children had a great time at the beach which is sized perfectly for the amount of users, and the view overlooking the mountains and ocean cannot be replicated. I so enjoyed having lunch every day looking at such a beautiful view. The staff works very hard and is always smiling and willing to help. They really seem to enjoy working at Melia. After a few days, the waiters and activities people recognize you and you feel like you have been there forever. The rooms were always cleaned extremely well.

Do read all of the reviews carefully because if you are expecting plush, you will be disappointed. If you want to avoid timeshare pressure, just say no from the beginning. If you need something, just ask. I am picky, but my family is not. Melia is the perfect compromise. We will likely return for a third year in 2013.

Stayed: March 2012
There are newer reviews for Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Our family of 4 (2 young boys age 5 yrs.) just spent a TERRIFIC week at the Melia from March 14 - 21! I gave this a full 5 stars because we can't think of a single reason to complain. For any reviewers who complain that this resort is not a full star place due to buildings not being fancy enough, rooms not modern enough, food not plated ultra-fancy, etc. etc. I suggest those travelers stay in an upstate New York kind of posh hotel where everything is just-so. However, if you travel to Mexico to experience the culture, the fresh, delicious food, the breathtaking and rejuvenating ocean/mountain/palm tree/SUNSHINE kind of views, and experience the friendliness of the Mexican people you will love your stay here! Where to begin??? We stayed in room 1417 and it was very good... totally clean, safe, nothing grossed us out in the bathroom (which was plenty big enough for more than one person at a time), had a very good view of the bay, PV skyline, the gardens....was so refreshing to look at at any time of day or night! Our room was ALWAYS cleaned and clothes folded! What a treat for this tired mom :0). We could hear some music playing (either from the beach, the lobby bar, or neighbouring resort - had a private wedding party one night) it was not at all disturbing! We shut our doors and easily slept...or left them open and enjoyed the tunes! (We had read reviews of asking for a room far from the lobby bar if we didn't want to hear loud music...so perhaps location of room plays a role in this and with young kids we knew we'd want some decent sleep come 11pm and not disturbing noise-levels. We asked for this specifically upon check-in and she reassigned us and we were off...no hassles.) The pool area is very large with plenty of chairs, so always a spot to sit. Also plenty of chairs on the beach if you prefer that. Beach was great...again no complaints. Our boys happily ran and ran and ran in the sand and on our last day there were significant waves to 'ride' for an hour or so....I couldn't believe how fun this was and was glad I didn't opt to just sit and watch my sons and husband enjoy! What a blast! Most days though the water was calm. ALL staff at Melia are fantastic....never experienced a grumpy person, always fast to please and soooo friendly! By mid-week my sons and I had gone into the lunch restaurant to eat and had put our stuff on a table and then proceeded to the food to fill our plates. My husband walked in and stood looking for us and/or our table. A staff person immed. pointed him to our table and to where we were in the food area!!!! After a few days they recognized us and knew who we were as a family! Although I wish I could remember all the names of those who primarily served us (I should have written them down so that I could post them here.....they were all soooo great), I have to make special mention of Nadia in KidsClub! This Kidsclub is what made our holiday GREAT! Our boys could not WAIT to get to kidsclub each day! We never had to force them to go, and they ALWAYS had fun!!! The club has a varied schedule (paint clay pots, make a pinata, breakfast with Barney, pool games, batting cages, etc. etc.) and I never once worried about safety or care! My one son has an anaphylactic allergy to nuts and carries and epi-pen and Nadia showed genuine attention to this! My husband and I knew that in order for us to get any kind of relaxation on our holiday the boys would have to spend some time at kidsclub which was the primary reason we choose Melia! We are sooooo glad we did! We had hours to relax and read and just chat and still plenty of time as a family!!!! The boys were so sad to leave the staff and their friends at Melia/kids club (Bam Bam club). The food was never disappointing...lots of selection, each night a different theme. I can not say we noticed a repeat of dishes just being served a 'different' way the following day! So much selection, sooo fresh, lots made to order (fajtas/pasta/pizza for lunches)....hot dogs - they said they were turkey dogs, burgers, and fries at the grill pool-side always tasty; buffet both supper and breakfast was wonderful! We dined once in all three a la carte restaurants and enjoyed each one. The Mexican one was soooo great and we discovered the delight of a Spanish Coffee and then proceeded to have one every other night!!! YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!! I don't eat/enjoy sea food but my hubby loves it and has absolutely no complaints about anything he tried. We try to eat very healthy and so I did not order from the kids menu (not that it's bad food - we don't know, never tried it, but I try to avoid chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, etc.) so we always ordered food from the adult menu for our boys and they happily ate it. When our boys didn't show excitement over pasta at the Italian a la carte, the waiter suggested rice and chicken to my sons and their frowns turned right around! Such great service!!! They always took my son's allergy seriously and answered any questions. The nightly entertainment is outstanding and worth seeing each night! We missed the Pirate show but was told by others that it is FABULOUS!!! Our boys would have loved it I'm sure! The activities staff are always happy, always working, and putting in extremely long hours, yet never seem grumpy! My husband and I enjoyed a couples' beach massage (A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.) and each had our ears cleaned with hot wax ....again AMAZING and majorily improved my flight home as I had experienced EXTREME pain on my flight there!!! We were hesitant to do the Club Melia (not a time-share....my husband says it's a much more flexible type of plan) presentation with Sandra (speaks French and English and is from Montreal, Cda originally - she was great!!!) one morning (whiel boys happily played at kidsclub) and while we did not buy into the club melia program (we dearly wished we could have - terrific opportunity - just uncertain financial time for us re: husband's work right now) it was worth hearing and we'll be considering it in the future!!!! From doing the presentation we received 40% off all massages, 20% off all other spa treatments, 700 pesos towards anything on the resort (we chose to put toward our couple's massage and therefore in the end paid about $19 for a couples beach massage) and $25 for ear cleaning/person!!!! GREAT little splurges for us that we wouldn't have otherwise likely enjoyed! We also received a PV all day bus tour (we got 4 passes) that went from 10am -5pm !!! We took the boys knowing we would not go all day, but did the first 1-2 hrs. into town and learned a lot of history in just that short bit. The guide was great and said they were going to go to some private beach, a tequila factory, a 'hollywood' part of PV, etc. etc. Although we got off at the boardwalk (did some shopping, ate lunch at Pinocchio's Pizza - YUM!!!!) and took a taxi back to the Melia ($8) my husband and I had wished we could have done the entire day's tour! It sounded great - our boys just would not have lasted! Anyway, I can obviously write a lot about our time at the Melia and PV in general! We can NOT wait to go back and will most likely return to the Melia due to the kidsclub being a great holiday-saver with young kids and no complaints for adults either! We are in LOVE with PV and wish we could live there! My boys still say "I miss Mexico, Mom! Can we live there??? Can we go back to the Melia?" oh yeah, almost forgot...my boys had a blast participating in the nightly kids program on stage just prior to the professional entertainment shows! Again, the kids' staff are superb!!! Beds in rooms were not soft, and while not rock hard, they are too hard for me. I asked for 2 foam toppers (more like duvets),, and that did help. My husband and kids were fine....I just don't do well sleeping anywhere but home as far as mattresses go!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank jellybean99
meliapuertovallarta, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

First of all thank you very much for choosing our Hotel. We are much honored to receive this great comment, this motivate us to keep our excellent service since our commitment is to create unforgettable experiences.

Thank you again for shared with us your valuable comments. We will be glad to have you back.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Just got back last week from a one week with my wife and 3 girls, ages 1,3,6 . This is my fourth all inclusive in Mexico so I do have a frame of reference. I would not go to Melia if I was single, or even a couple. There are just too many other great hotels, with better single-couple atmosphere. But for families it's pretty great. The pools are very kid friendly, as are the family rooms. We only used the kids club a couple of times but is was a great option to have. We brought our walki talkis and told the kids club to use it if they needed us to come back, else they use the loud speaker, which you can't hear from the beach.

The food was fine, and for my daughters bday I had them make a cake, which was delicious. My only complaints are that there were quite a few peddlers on the beach, the ocean was mostly too strong to go too far in, and no real long walks on the beach opportunities. Plus, limited restaurant options compared with other all inclusives I've been to.
My plugs for the place: very very helpful and accommodating staff, great options for kids at buffet, pools, clubs great for kids, and very close to airport.

Bottom line, would I go again, yes with family.

Room Tip: Building 1 if you have kids
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank dyhard

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your stay. We are happy to know that you have had an enjoyable time with us. Our commitment is to create unforgettable experiences.

Thank you again for shared with us your valuable comments and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Went with our 8 month old baby for his 1 St trip , picked the resort cause there's not many resorts where they take babies .. We never ended up leaving him at the daycare and we kept him with us the whole time , service was great , resort clean , rooms did have a smell but were cleaned properly... Food very disappointing .. We ate burgers and hotdogs all week .. All the ala carte restos were not good , food was cold , there tropical drinks were horrible and not fresh , they used syrup instead of real fruits .. Shows awful ... Beach .. There is no beach , will never go on the pacific side again , the waves were so high and strong .. Could never use the beach all 7 days we were there .. Will never go back .. But to be fair .. The pros are the pool, service , and staff .. For a fair price on spring break and the marina was down the street ! Great boardwalk with cafes and restos ..

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We arrived on Friday evening only to find out they had no ocean front room for us thta we payed for. We were stuck in a mouldy/musty smelling room that almost made us sick. The next day while leaving the hotel some girl by the name of Vivianna gave us the third degree and threatened to give away our room if we were not back by noon. Another girl stepped in and tried to intimidate us by using the mofia as another threat. On Saturday afternoon by 2 PM we were still not in our room....which we had paid for. By this time we had enough and left. We went to another resort, namely the Velas Vallarta a few properties down and were treated like royalty.
THERE IS NOT A CHANCE IN HELL WE WILL EVER RECOMMEND THIS RESORT TO ANYONE!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple