“I would go back.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Las Palmas by the Sea
Ranked #46 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“I would go back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This was my first time in Mexico and my first all inclusive experience. I would go back to this resort. Because I travelled alone, I met a lot of people. Man of the people I spoke to had been to P.V. before and had also been to other resorts. Their opinion was that, compared to other resorts nearby, this one was very good because it was neither too big nor too small. I would have to agree, that staying at a high rise resort, 25 floors up from the pool/beach, would not appeal to me. I had wanted to stay on the ocean side, but when I booked thru the Red Tag rep by phone, she didn't ask and I didn't think to tell her to do so, so I ended up with a back facing room. I decided not to switch because, truthfully, I wasn't in my room a lot. The first night, I did get some noise from a nearby club. This is something you have to keep in mind. You could stay at a nice hotel and be kept up all night from the club noises. I am the type to retire to the bedroom rather early so I only caught 2 nights of entertainment. I wish I would have caught more. Apparently I missed some good stuff. I did catch a male singer who was absolutely amazing. His level of talent was up there with top latin singers ie) Marc Anthony. The following night was Mexican night which I thought was fun. Entertainment was too short though. (Was it 1 hour?) A previous reviewer made note of the ventilation 'shutter' from the bathroom. Obviously, it's required so mould is not an issue. However, it does allow noise and cigarette smoke in. You have to keep you door shut. If you do that, you're ok. You can get a lock for the small safe. The cost is minimal and worth it, so you can put your passport and extra cash there. The reception staff are just ok, but most of the other staff are wonderful. They get to know you a bit and really appreciate the extra tips you give them. I do wish the resort had a designated smoking area. This would make things much more comfortable for non-smoking guests. Yes, when a smoker is 15 feet (or more) away from a sensitive non smoker, it is an issue. If I wanted to smoke, I'd buy a pack myself! As for the buffet, you will definitely not go hungry. I am a discriminating foodie and here's my opinion. Breakfast was my favourite meal. Try some 'abena'. It's a yummy oatmeal drink. The variety of fresh juices is amazing ie) cactus/apple/celery or orange/beet, mango/orange etc. After that, you can have eggs, toast, chillaquiles, etc. Open yourself up and try something you've never seen before. You might find something you really like (like I did). Lunch and supper meals were decent. No, not everything on the buffet is good (could use some leafy green salad), but there is a good variety. You'll find fish or chicken, pork, maybe beef. You can ask for tortillas apparently so you can make your own taco if you see shredded pork for example. Yes, there are reps on the premises who will try to sell you a 'deal' which will allow you to get better prices on lodging etc. I sat thru a short presentation and it paid for my San Sebastian trip. (Make sure you have bug spray for this and ANY trip into the forest as you will come back with crazy itchy bites if you don't)! Vallarta Adventures trip there was good. Very engaging/funny guide. The whale watching tour I went on so 'ok'. I booked it thru a vendor in a store front off Frances Medina Ascencio (the main street a bit in front of the hotel). I think it was a lot cheaper and it wasn't fancy, but the girl who hosted the tour seemed to be very knowledgeable and I felt like I learned something. This time of year, the whales are leaving for Alaska though. I did hear the Rhythm of the Nights tour and the Pirates tour were great. Both had good food and the Pirates tour was a riot apparently. I also heard the tour into the rain forest on the Mercedes hummer style vehicle was extremely bumpy and your back might be paying for it the next day. I recommend you go to the Botanical Gardens for an afternoon. You can walk from the hotel to the Malecon. The first time I did it, it seemed like a long way, but after that, not so. It's a nice walk, lots to see. There is an ice cream shop on the Malecon further down...the Devils something or other, owned by Melinda from Austin, Texas and her husband's tequila shop across the street where you can taste and perhaps get a good deal like I did (Chili Tequila) All in all, I can see where someone might have issues, that they might also have at another hotel nearby. If you want to phone Canada or the U.S., it's a real hassle. I would suggest you do what I did. During that walk to the Malecon, on the right side, there is a store which sells scooters, appliances, cell phones are up the centre of the store starting at the door. Buy a Unefon phone. I did for $29, $15 to activate which gives you 100 free minutes. You can then call Canada or U.S. and it costs 1 peso/minute which comes out of the 100 minutes. The minutes expire after one month. It gives comfort to know you can call home whenever. Anything else is way too expensive. P.V. is a great place and I will go back. p.s. I left in the knick of time. The day I was leaving, approx 100 obnoxious American students arrived for spring break. Make note - don't book at any all inclusive during spring break. It's going to be noisy and not relaxing! pps. Be careful with the amount of luggage you have or the amount of stuff you buy. I took the same 2 bags I always do when I vacation, bought a bunch of stuff (yes, it's true) and the 2 bags alone were putting me over the allowed weight (with Transat). I almost had to pay over $200 for the extra weight, except they let me take my usual carry on onto the plane (I had originally wanted to take a small box of glasses I had purchased because I was worried about them). When I switched which bag I was taking into the cabin, it reduced the overage to 6 kgs over which was still $90! $15/extra kg. Crazy! That was payable to Transat. (You're allowed something like 40lbs) oh pps! Yes, it's crazy hard to get a lounge chair on the adult side when the hotel is booked up. Chairs can be 'taken' by 7am. If you wake early, head out and put your towel down. (Don't try to leave a towel the night before - it will be gone)

Room Tip: Take ocean side
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Carey C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The rooms are clean. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. But there is absolutely no sound proofing in the rooms. Did not sleep at all. There was limited choice at the meals, including the buffet, and the food itself wasn't very good. It was impossible to find a chair by the pool no matter what time of day you looked. The hot tub is heated by the sun. It was cloudy the entire week we went which is just the type of weather a hot tub would be good for but without sun the hot tub and the pool were too cool to go in. I would not ever go back.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chris W
Penticton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed at Las Palmas January 8 for two weeks. A fire started at around midnight in our room. The light fixture in the bathroom ceiling caught on fire while the lights were off. My husband ran outside to pull the fire alarm only to find there wasn't one. He then went to the phone to call out for help but lines were down as well as no electricity working. He pulled the fire extinguisher of the wall outside and put the fire out which by this time was engulfed with flames. Before this he yelled up the hallway FIRE! as to wake up the rest of the guests. The smoke detectors did not go off in any of the rooms until after the fire was out and we later learn that some of the guests had their smoke detectors checked by maintnence over the next couple of days and found they were not working and had to be replaced. My husband and one of the security guys, Carlos went into the room and both came out of there choking.The room next to us was so full of smoke you could not see across their room and the lady had to be rushed to emergency and still is suffering from this. That happened one week into our vacation. The next week was a complete nightmare as all of our belongings were totally ruined and we were moved from that ocean view room to an ocean view room which had palm trees blocking the view. We still have not heard a Thank you from the resort or Transat for saving their guests lives and still have not been compensated for any of our losses. The resorts manager Hector approached us and offered to give us $365.00 for our losses but only if we signed a document releasing them as well as Transat of any further action. We did not accept this as this amount did not even cover the cost of all the clothing ruined and further more we were concerned about health issues. Transat rep was horrible and would not even discuss this with us. We took pictures of the mess as well as pictures of the electrical wiring in our new room.Other guests took pictures of the wiring in their rooms and it is horrifying. Since then we have heard back from Transat telling us they will do nothing to compensate and have heard back from the resort with the same offer as before. We have now retained a lawyer as well as plan on taking it to the media. In my opinion and from what i have witnessed Transat just wants your money and after that doesn't give a dam about your safety. Then when you arrive the Transat Rep wants more of your money pushing the tours on you but are not there to represent you with any concerns. If we had been sleeping the outcome of this ordeal could have been very bad. Will never book with Transat again and definetely would never stay at this resort again. The front desk staff are terrible and not very helpful. The rest of the staff are awesome, especially Manual the bartender and Carlos the security guy. These two individuals make you feel so welcome and are the best.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank 14sharonski
Coquitlam, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed in Las Palmas from Feb. 11 to Feb. 18th there were 6 of us altogether.
Hotel - is very small and nice and close to the airport. We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor which had a great view. Something that you should know is that if you want the safe in your room you pay to rent a lock for however long you are there and this fits into the safe in your room, so you will have a key to carry around with you. Also, if you watch television before you jump into bed you need to also ask for a convertor for your room at the front desk when you check in. There is also no fridge in your room so I would suggest you bring a collapsible cooler. Also, when you arrive you get 1 bottle of water in your room and then you are expected to take this down to the bar and fill it up each day with the filtered water at the main bar. There is a small store onsite that you can purchase bottled water from as well. The room was clean and the only part I would point out that we found a little odd was that there is just wooden slats above the showers that are open to the outside hallway to vent out the steam etc. which is fine except you here everyone in the hallway who are coming in at 3 or 4am keeping the bathroom door shut cut down on the noise a bit.
Food was standard buffet food that you get all most all inclusive resorts.
Staff were all great and very friendly and were very attentive to everyone. Because this hotel is so small you do get to know all of the other guests and it is a big party which was fun. We went down early for our 6 chairs by the pool and didn't have a problem getting them. The beach is not huge but we are more hang around the pool types so that is fine. The beach vendors can't come into the resort so it was quite funny to be lying on your lounge by the pool to suddenly see a t-shirt being held up over the wall, or hats etc. whatever anyone was selling. Lots to do bocce, volleyball, soccer etc. on the beach or at the resort.
If you don't want to hear the same songs over and and over I would suggest you make a CD of mixed songs to bring to give to the DJ by the pool. We ended up asking them to play our iPod so we didn't have to hear the same music again.
If you want to go into town you can just walk out to the street and just on the left of the driveway is the bus stop that you can catch the Centro bus into town to walk the Malecon or shop. It was about .50cents to go into town. The first two yellow seats behind the bus driver are supposed to be for handicapped people so try not to sit there unless the bus is full. Also, get in and sit down these guys are FAST and can weave in and out of traffic like you would not believe, you were so close to the other buses you could have stuck your face out and kisses the person on the bus beside you. As for shopping we really didn't see anything different than you are used to seeing t-shirts, jewelery bags etc.
Tours - we went on the Rhythm of the night tour - it was quite rough water going over and a few people got seasick, buffet dinner was fine and the two other couples that we were with thought the show was fantastic but as I have seen quite a few shows in vegas I found it to be kind of cheesy. For the price of the tour as much as it was okay I wouldn't do it again. As for the entertainment at the resort, again this was typical of any all inclusive.
Overall we had a good time, I have to keep in mind that this is just a 3 star so all I can say is if you want to go and party and don't mind not having all the little perks you get with the 4/5 stars then you can't go wrong for the price. For my husband and I we will probably stick to the mayan side that we have stayed at 3 times and it doesn't not compare at all but that is just our preference. Like I said we still had fun partying all week with everyone we met.

Room Tip: Although this is an all inclusive the "free" drinks end at 11:00pm and then you have to pa...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank LiVil
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We got a fair price for the oceanview and made some requests. Got a beautiful 3rd floor with a terrific view, good sized balcony that we love many times during the day or night. I myself can take a hard bed, so with the waves had a great sleep. Buffet was fine every night and a different theme or country. My fave is breakfast, omelletes, fruit, and some mexican dishes, I love Chiquales. This place has its own uniqueness, small to get around if you forget something , staff very friendly and remember you also. Small beach but you can walk it and some were in the surf. Some palapas with chairs to sit on there and watch the vendors. If you want amenities like flat screen tvs. and coffee makers etc. not here. Everything worked fine and our room was recently renovated. Location good the bus to malecon 6.5 pesos. so go and enjoy some other restaurants and things for lunch and dinner. Nice big deck to use after your meals and a night its lit up wih palms, so pretty. We will go back and met some nice people from other provinces. the locals do come in for there holiday too at times. Good price and good value. Travelled Feb. ll-Feb. 18

Room Tip: Get your oceanview room when you book. North side lots of sun and can see up to Old Town
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple