“Hidden treasure” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Hidden treasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

This resort is located on a small bay on the south side of Banderras Bay. It is 11 Km. out of PV away from the bustle of the city. It is great for a quiet relaxing time sunning by the pool or on the beach. Staff are friendly, service is good. As with all resorts, there is a wide variety of tours and excursions available to suite all tastes. The grounds are beautiful,and the backdrop of the mountains encircling the resort is awsome. There are several small boats adjacent to the hotel that are available for $40 and up depending on where you want to go and what you want to do. You can haggle for a better price if they are not buisy .
Food at the hotel was good but not outstanding. I could always find something I liked. A lot of the dishes were Mexican fare , probably because 1/3 of the guests were spanish speaking. About 1/2 of the guests were Canadian and the remainder were American. My wife and I suffered from gastrointestinal problems. We thought it was change of diet and more liquor than normal, but after reading other reviews , I think they need to do some cultures in the food handeling part of the hotel and review their food handeling practices. Rooms and grounds were well kept.
We vacationed there Jan. 21 to Feb.5. Only other complaint was the red eye flight to and from PV on Sunwing air. In flight food was awful and seating was cramped unless you forked over another $60 per seat for premium seating.

Room Tip: Tower 2 might be quieter, but things usually settle down after 11pm withe the exception of the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My friend and I were there from Feb 18-23, 2012. The first two days were great. On our third day there, I got ridiculously sick. I felt horrible and was in and out of the bathroom vomiting from approximately 3pm to midnight. I was finally able to fall asleep and still woke up with an upset stomach. I didn't risk eating or drinking anything all morning or afternoon, but I decided to have a light dinner. I ate a few things at the buffet for dinner and the next morning I woke up vomiting again. "Luckily" it only lasted a couple of hours this time, but I was out of commission for that whole day. I spoke to the concierge and asked if anyone else had complained of being sick and she assured me that no one else was sick. After reading these reviews I can see that she was not truthful with me. Not cool!

The hotel itself is beautiful. Our room was large and comfortable and had a great view of the ocean. The staff overall was really friendly. Shout out to Carmen, our room attendant; Abril, our waitress at Don Quijote; and David Rodriguez who brought drinks out to the pool area.

The buffet left much to be desired. The food was never hot, just luke warm or cold. And, there wasn't much variety from one day to the next. I really expected more from a hotel that calls itself a 5 stars hotel.

We made reservations at two of the specialty restaurants - Los Arcos Steakhouse and Don Quijote Spanish restaurant. I wasn't able to try the steakhouse because that's the night I was vomiting. I made it to the reservation at the Spanish restaurant a couple of nights later, but since I was still feeling sick, I literally only had 2 bites of my food. My friend, however, said both restaurants were good and much better than the buffet.

After reading about how many other people got sick during our stay, I probably won't be coming back to this hotel . Of the 6 days we were there, I was only able to enjoy 2.

Room Tip: We were in Tower 1 on the 8th floor directly over the "cantina". It was really really lou...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank TravelingGal610
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

There has to be some kind of virus in this resort or else there's rampant food / water bacteria making people sick. I got sick shortly after breakfast on my second day of the trip, vomited for 4 hours until my husband got the resort Doctor to come to our room (I was too sick to walk). The doctor told me I had a bacterial infection in my stomach, he suspected from something I ate or drank. I finally stopped vomiting another 2 hours after the getting an injection from the Dr. It took about 48 hours before I could eat again. The next morning my husband got terribly ill, we had to phone the paramedic. The day after that, the other couple we were traveling with got sick.
This was not a case of overeating or binge drinking - we hardly drink and we're not ones to overeat. (I don't eat fried food or greasy meals - at resorts or elsewhere)
I have been reading recent reviews and have realized that what we went through is not an isolated experience at this resort. I am disappointed to read management replies stating that they were not told about 'the illness at the time'. Here's what I have to say about that: first of all, when you are so sick you think you might die, informing the hotel is just not first on your mind, sorry, but it isn't. And at the time, I didn't realize it wasn't an isolated stomach bug. Second, both my husband and I sought medical attention by the resort Doctor. Why is the resort Doctor not reporting all these incidences of stomach bugs/ possible food poisoning to the resort management??
I have also read that front desk staff commented that people got sick from brushing teeth with bathroom sink water - if this is not recommended, put up a sign in the bathroom!! I have been to 3 other all-inclusive resorts where I was assured it was Okay to use that water to brush teeth, just told not to drink it because of different mineral content.
There is either something in the water (we didn't drink it, but some in our group brushed their teeth with it) or some kind of virus contaminating the resort, or else there is very poor food handling practices at this resort. They need to disinfect or upgrade the water filtration or review food handling in the kitchen.
If you are planning to travel to this hotel, my suggestion: think twice. If you have prepaid, I still recommend you think twice. It's bad enough that we are out our travel money, what is really disappointing to me is that we have lost a whole week of precious vacation time.
Now, I did give this resort 2 out of 5. That is because the staff are really great here. Wait staff are friendly, housekeeping does a fairly decent job and the grounds are well maintained. The pool is very clean. Entertainment - on the few nights we were well enough to go - was really top notch.
The only other thing I will mention is that there is very little beach, and if you want to sit by the ocean to relax, forget it - because there are locals coming by every 2 minutes asking you to buy something. I understand that this is their livelihood, but this is my vacation and you really didn't get more than 2 minutes passing without being harassed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank GranolaGirlCanada
Haida Gwaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Wonderful pools and hot tubs, very clean (in contrast to the Riu). Beautiful landscaping, attentive staff, resort very well kept.
Georgeous views and fascinating bird life thanks to the rookery (Los Arcos) on the north point of the bay.

However, there were LOTS of sick people, myself included, with gastrointestinal illnesses. The food was delicious but there were some obvious food safety problems -- mayonnaise out on the tables in the sun all day, for example; and food on the buffet not being kept at safe temperatures.

We reserved a two bedroom suite, which was a bit disappointing. There was no common area, just one big bedroom with a beautiful view, and one small one that was depressing, dank and windowless.

Room Tip: Two bedroom suites are not very nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LaN0mada
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Hotel was great! Traveled there with my in laws. Don't think i would say there is plenty to do for children, but cant complain. My niece and nephews had a blast staying in the pools all day and enjoyed painting. They did have a children's room, but we never used it.Rooms were amazing! Clean rooms as well. Staff were relatively helpful.

Not being a beach bum and pool lizard. We like to move and do things. We found this hotel hard to get into the city and felt stuck. We didn't pick this hotel as it was one of few hotels that accommodated a family of five for the in laws. Getting a taxi to town was easy but a long drive and not very cheap.

Beach is okay, a little rocky and covered with people trying to sell stuff but, that's everywhere in Mexico. When ordering drinks, make sure you ask for a straw. They will not give you one without asking.

Food was fine, cant complain about the food itself. Just the lack of choices in a sense. Seven night stay you get three nights in the restaurants and well the other meals in the buffet. We all got sick of the buffet real quick.

Spa was nice. we splurged for a massage and i got a mani and pedi. Massages can be on the patio privately overlooking the ocean!

Our only real big complaint. They were hosting a young school there. Kind of like a weekend shadowing of the jobs there. Between ours and the inlaws room we had teenage boys that stayed up all night yelling and screaming. In and out of the doors. Also in and out of there room safe which, when you close it, it slams closed against a wall which can be heard on both sides. We called an complained at 3am. Front desk said they would go up and tell them to be quite, but sadly that did not happen.

Room Tip: All rooms are great i think.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family