“OMG! The Most Relaxing Vacation We Ever Had”
Review of El Sol La Vida

El Sol La Vida
Ranked #4 of 52 Mazatlan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2017

We came super stressed but from the moment we were greeted by Linda and Ray our worries were swept away. The property is right on a very private beach. The full breakfasts were amazing. The food at Surfs Up Cafe(on the property) was fantastic and prepared by Leanne their daughter. The restaurant also provided some great entertainment. After most vacations in the past, we were eager to get back home - not this time! We wanted to stay more than 8 days and will be back. Mark and Joanne.

Room Tip: Ocean view on second level
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drmarkathompson
SunandLife, Owner at El Sol La Vida, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2017

Thank you for much for the glowing review, so pleased we could make your stay enjoyable look forward to seeing you both again.

Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

We highly recommend El Sol La Vida! Ray & Linda are such wonderful hosts! They make you feel like you've been friends forever as soon as you arrive. The property is well taken care, and stunning to look at, with amazing views and proximity to the ocean. The beach is wonderful and mostly empty, which is a bonus.
The breakfasts were wonderful with more food than we could eat. They started with a wonderful bread of some kind (Linda's Banana Nut Bread is the best!) and a bowl of fresh fruit and some yogurt. Then Ray would make a wonderful hot breakfast with eggs, toast and sometimes potatoes of some variety. One outstanding one was his version of Huevos Rancheros, the best we've had! Of course this is all accompanied by juice and coffee/tea. If you leave hungry, it's your own fault. ;-)
The property is a ways from civilization, if you will, as it's in a new area of Mazatlan and down a dirt road. You can get taxis to places, but it was too cold at night for me to use the open air ones. So after our first night there, we decided to rent a car. If you just want to sit by the pool or lay on the awesome beach, it's perfect. We enjoyed having a car for a little more freedom. We loved using Uber for Centro, when it was a bit far to walk, but they're not available in this area.
Ray and Linda's daughter runs Surf's Up Beach Cafe next door, which we were able to enjoy once, as well.
All in all a wonderful experience!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McSue777
SunandLife, Owner at El Sol La Vida, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2017

Thank you Sue for the lovely review very informative to help future guests with their decision to stay at El Sol La Vida. It was a pleasure to meet and talk with you both, hope to see you again.

Linda & Ray

Reviewed 5 January 2017

We just got home from a 5 day stay at this lovely B&B. We went with my sister and her husband who have gone several times before. First of all Ray and Linda who own and run this hotel are such genuine and good people. We could not have asked for better hosts. Every morning we had a delicious homemade breakfast while we watched the ocean. Our room was very clean and and beautiful! We stayed in the Garden Room that has a private garden patio attached to it. All of the grounds are beautifully maintained with gorgeous gardens. We watched stunning sunsets every night. There is a restaurant next door called Surfs Up ran by their daughter Leann. She is the Chef and we never ate anything that wasn't unique and delicious. We would definitely recommend this small and personal hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank CindyLeah
Reviewed 28 November 2016

Linda and Ray are the perfect hosts! They made fresh breakfast on the daily and always checked in to see if we needed a ride somewhere or a taxi called. The private beach is awesome as is the pool and hot tub. Our room was super cozy and the bed sooo comfy that most mornings we did not get up till 9am. This place is perfect if you are looking for some chill time and just want to soak in some sun. Downtown is close if you are looking for a little more touristy stuff or nightlife. We really can't say enough great stuff about this place and Ray and Linda. It is a must stay!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Leslie G
Reviewed 28 November 2016

I stayed for six nights at the end of August 2016, and can't recommend the hotel and the hosts, Ray and Linda highly enough. The property is in pristine condition, and very tastefully decorated. Breakfasts were delicious and always appeared as soon as I came out of my room in the morning. Ray and Linda always had time to chat or to offer me a ride into town, and they are delightful company. The hotel is right on the beach, which stretches for miles and is great for walking and swimming. I felt totally safe walking a distance, and there were no vendors at all.

With respect to location, the property was exactly what I was looking for: a small boutique hotel on a gorgeous beach, off the beaten path and far from the crowds and high rise hotels downtown. This did mean, however, that taxis were necessary to go most anywhere (which I anticipated and was fine with me), but if I were returning with a group I might consider renting a car. Often, when I asked for assistance calling a taxi, Ray and Linda jumped in the car and gave me a lift.

I should note that the time of year that I visited was the height of the off season, and I was the only guest during my stay, so I was upgraded to the best room, which was outstanding. Beautiful, spacious, and with a large, private sitting area attached. However, the cafe on site was closed for the low season, and getting to restaurants was a little farther than I realized. Ray and Linda ensured I got a good meal every evening, even inviting me to their table and making vegetarian versions of their meal for me. I couldn't have asked for nicer hosts! I'm looking forward to returning to this wonderful property.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo