“Very Relaxed setting, great location”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Visited thsi resort in March of 2012, and had a great time.
Didn't seem very busy, and there was not much to do after dinner. The entertainment finished around 9.. and after that the lobby bar was pretty much where everyone gatheres.
However my boyfriend and I always found something to do- either go out in Mazatlan, which is a 20 minute cab ride away, or stayed on the resort and found entertaining things to do on our own.
During the day, we always found a great spot on the beach or by the pool.. there was never a shortage of loungers.
Since we usually get bored just hanging out at the pool or beach, we went out alot. We took a cab down to Mazatlan a few times, just walked around the city and checked out some restairants. Lola & Pedro is a great spot and have live entertainment a few times a week. Great sangria and food!!
Another nice restaurant is just 5 minutes up the beach, right by the hotel. Its by the cliff thats on the right of the hotel itself. We had great food there: I had guacomole, lobster, shrimp, rice and the delicious tequila they make themselves. They also offer tours and souvenirs at the bar. I think it was called Mr. Lionso's? Not very sure.
We also booked some horseriding tours through Ginger's horses. It was great!
The food was great at the resort as well, but we just wanted to change it up and go out a few nights. The breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were delicious, however, the a la carte restaurants were not that good. We tried them a couple of nights but were not very impressed.

Overall, it was a very relazing vacation and I would definitely return to Mazatlan...it was a great city!

Room Tip: We reserved a honeymoon suite- which I know alot of people said is a waste of money because all roo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katia K

Reviewed 12 April 2012

The hotel is good big beautiful, the staff friendly, workhard, cleanlyness. The show ok not bad. but the food horrible. all a la carte so bad, bad food bad service, we go to Mexican, wait for 1 hours the waiter told us that they lost the odre sheet. so he said just give him few minutes he reoder for us, we call 6 medium rare steak and on shirmp but he brought out all steak no shirmp and the steak rare not medium we can not eat, then we have to get up go to buffet room. The Bambo and Italian restaurant the same awful food, just try one dish we have to stand up leave the room go back to buffet. Unbeliveable this is the 5* hotel resort. Every people said food ok I think because they don't know how to cook so they eat what ever they seen. Crabs is dead crab so the meat is terrible taste. The beef pork is so dry over cook or they reuse the meat from the day before then cook again, that why the meat look like that, the vegetable the same over cook. the fruit just have honey dew, watermelon, papaya, pinapple, too sour and no tasty. all rotten fruits,. So we never want to come back this hotel even they let us staye free.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lonahamilton
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We arrived on Friday March 30th booked the trip through apple vacation. By Sunday my daughters ipad 2 was stolen by the maids right out of our room + her charger + $280 cash from wallets that were way down in the bottom of their carry-on bags. Very disappointed by the manager ( total A-hole) was no help at all. Pretty sure he is in all the robberies at the Riu. Our neighbors 2 doors down also were robbed of an expensive watch, cell phone, and cash. Not a very relaxing trip!!! After getting home I read a million reviews of robberies at the Riu!!!! Wish I would have know before I went :( Not recommending this Place!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mary R
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The Riu Emerald Bay is beautiful and spotless. Everywhere in the hotel, the cleaning staff is always working and always friendly.

The rooms are very nice. The right side of the hotel, facing the ocean, is quite noisy. The entertainment, disco, and popular evening bar are all down below. The noise continues until 2 am. If you ask at the front desk, they will say it is not noisy and you won't be able to hear it. Not true. Plus, at least on my floor, all the party people were on that side. They were quite loud and twice drunk people knocked on my door between 3-4 am (a bit frightening). If you want quiet, insist on the left side of the hotel. I had a wait a couple nights to move, but it was worth. I slept with the balcony door open and only heard the sound of the ocean. I never heard my neighbors once. Quite pleasant. Exactly what I think vacation should be.

The Riu Emerald Bay is the rare resort that allows for that kind of quiet. The same right-left rule is true during the day. The beach is very large and allows a lot of space. The right side is quite peaceful. The vendors are roped off a long way from the chairs. The space and the absence of vendors resulted in a very quiet experience and many, many peaceful naps on the beach.

The pool bar (right side) has the best drinks on the beach and well worth the walk from the other side of the beach. Fabian is fabulous. After the first day, when he saw me, he prepared my drink without my even asking. The pool bar is as cloudy as reported by others, best to hang out there in the morning. In the afternoon, it does provide a very dynamic atmosphere for those who enjoy the party scene.

The lobby bar is exceptional. Mike gets lots of kudos from everyone. He is exhuberant and makes a great drink. But do not overlook Joachim. He is quiet and reserved, but his martinis are even better than Mike's. This is a quality bar. Try a choclotini...it's much better than any of the deserts.

The food is fine. Certainly edible. The breakfast buffet offers a variety that can satisfy everyone. Lunch is a bit more difficult. Some days they had fantastic grilled veggies and excellent salads...other days, it was more difficult to find something. I don't eat pasta or pizza, so I can't comment there, but others were quite satisfied with both. Lunch does have quite a variety, so no one has to starve. Again, it is edible. The beach lunch was good with chicken, pork, burgers, brats. I found the pork tasty.

The restaurants are disappointing. The Italian is a buffet. Lots of grilled veggies, calamari, pasta, etc. The pesto was good, and I made a good meal out of veggies and pesto. The Asian is also a buffet. Lots of stir fry that didn't look very appetizing (I didn't try any). Sushi, all with cream cheese (this is true of everywhere I have been in Mexico), was edible. I don't get sushi as often as I would like, so it was a nice. The duck actually was good. Again, I don't get it very often, but, if I was choosy and found a not so overcooked piece, it was nice treat. The Mexican provides restaurant service. Do not think of this as romantic. They take a large restaurant and fit everyone all on one side seated right on top of each other. They then serve the appetizers, main courses, and desserts at the same time for all the tables. I'm sure this saves on service, but it felt like a bad wedding reception. The food was okay. Appetizers were not particularly interesting. The red snapper was not good, both the fish and the sauce were not good. One of the least appealing foods I had. The shrimp were good. The fajitas looked good as did the steak (people finished both). Overall, the restaurants were subpar but provided variety from the buffet, which did become tired after a week.

A few of the waitstaff are quite friendly. Most are indifferent (at best) and seem put out to provide service. Yes, I do tip; it didn't seem to move most to help in anyway. Sometimes I actually received no service (plates piled up, no one even stopped by).

The waves were a bit wicked while I was there. Most of the days had a pretty nasty riptide running right to left (at times it was like a river). They didn't let the boogie boards out, so I purchased one from the local market. It was worth it. Most days I got beaten up by the waves, but bad waves are much better than no waves. And the tide and life guard kept me from going out far enough to have a lot of fun. The day before I left the waves were great and the riptide let up. I got out quite far with water just up to my waist. The life guard let me go that far (he was whistling at others), perhaps because I had befriended him and helped him usher people out of the riptide earlier in the week. I had a great couple hours of boogie boarding fun that made the whole trip worth it.

In short, the Riu Emerald Bay was a fine stay. For price, it was a great, and I would return again and again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors, at least 1-3, are pool view rather than really ocean view. They are also...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank LB6Travel
Reviewed 9 April 2012

First thing to know about the Riu is that it is not close to anything. Which is just fine if you want to relax by one of the many well designed pools, or on the beach. The service was really good for pretty much everything...what I really enjoyed was the seamless check in...(this might be different depending on your vacation package)..we got the wristbands right at the airport and an envelope was waiting for us in the lobby..10 minutes later your vacation officially starts!. The rooms are all on the ocean-side, so no disappointing views of parking lots (which has happened to us). I found the food very nice, but I should say here that I am very easy to please in that department...a couple of the people we talked to had some criticisms ( lack of variety, etc.) But would not agree - I found lots of healthy and tasty choices every time. Our room was very nice..everything you would expect except for one oddity...we wanted 2 double beds (1 for us, and 1 for our teenage daughter) and that is what we got...but they were jammed together, forming one giant bed...we didn't realize until the last day that we could have moved them apart...The rooms come with a mini fridge stocked with 6 beers, soda pop, water, etc. and 4 bar-type dispensers with rum, tequila, vodka, and gin...when the beers was all gone we just asked them to restock it and presto..more cervesa! The bars in the pool areas were all good as well, most times the line ups were short, but on the weekend the population doubled, but it was still very acceptable. They mix the drinks a little weak, but I guess that's okay, you can have as many as you want! The best meal we had was the beach BBQ...long line but worth it.
Now, getting back to the location...normally we don't do all-inclusives, we get bored and want to go exploring, usually just on foot and local buses...this is not so easy if you're at the Riu...it is a 30 minute bus ride to downtown, and Mazatlan is not the best place for foot-powered tourism...the old-town 'centro' is a few blocks inland, crowded, and just not that 'relaxing'....the malecon goes on forever, but there aren't that many places to stop and have beer and some shrimp..like we are used to in other Mexican towns....the cabs are plentiful (called pulmonias because they are open air golf-cart style and you're likely to catch pnuemonia!) but the ride is about $10 from downtown to the Riu...and these cabs only hold 3 people so you might need 2.
Now, back to the Riu...there is a great little area about 15 minute walk to the North - Ceritos Point...there are some nice little shops and restuarants (kind of upscale run by gringos) and right at the end some authentic Mexican open air beach cafes - the kind of place where you get the shrimp that was caught 20 minutes ago served up on paper plates...not sure if they are open for evening meals, though. ..the only other place to go that is close is a little roadside place - "henry's" ..which is an open are place next to a roadside store called Serpico's...about a 15 minute walk south of the Riu...great meals and low prices....but then you always come back to the question...why bother to leave the all inclusive?...that's a question you'll have to answer for yourself...I'd definitely go back (our package was quite reasonably priced)...One last tidbit - on the days when some large groups were checking out...we couldn't get an elevator down from our room on the 18th floor...they were so crowded that people on lower floors would get on the 'up' elevators just to get on at all...so the full cars would go to the top floors, take on a few more people and be full when they stopped on 18...this happened for awhile and we just walked down 18 flights....so I don't know how to avoid this the next time...maybe stay on the 5th floor.?!

Room Tip: Bring a good book, and plan to stay on the resort...upgrade to a jaccuzi suite for very low price.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family