5,999 results
All reviews snorkel beach the mexican restaurant mar section middle beach a la carte restaurants belly dancer fish main beach la crucecita el mexicano secret beach main bar bella vista club med tennis courts shuttle service bird watching
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I just got back from my second trip to Las Brisas. I had a great time last year and thought I might be disappointed with trying to "recapture" last years fun. I had to remind myself that staff may not be the same, guests will be different and maybe it was just luck that we were there with so many awesome people. This year was even better than last year. I will not talk about beaches, scenery, food or how many stairs cause that has all been covered. And accurately I might add.

What I want to share is how much fun we had on this vacation because of the sports and the animation team. As a family we love to use our vacation time to do active things. You can pick ANY resort to sit in a lounge chair, stare at the water and bake in the sun sipping cervezas...and if that is the kind of holiday you are looking for, great I am not knocking that. But as we have experienced not all resorts have activities and animation teams that love what they do. We have been to other places in Mexico and Cuba where WE had to make things happen if we wanted to play volleyball, soccer, even ping pong. You won't have that problem at Las Brisas...if it is on the daily activities board, then show up and it will happen. Volleyball is always fun cause staff get involved they make sure those that want to play get to and they play as well. If there are things you want to do they will try to accommodate you . We wanted to get a soccer game going and they had a turtle convention that was using a good part of the green space so they promised the first day after the convention was done - game on. Volleyball is usually played in a courtyard, but someone wanted to play at the beach so on one of the days where it was slightly overcast they set up on the beach. My family was not keen as we know how hot the sand is but we went and it was great fun! One day there were too many Yoga classes, in my opinion and Lucia asked if I was coming to class and I said there was only yoga so I was going to pass on it. She said "do you like step? Whatever you like we can do." So we did step. And it was not like many showed up for these classes, but if you show any interest in activities they will bend over backwards to make you happy. We did Salsa dance, Zumba style fitness, weird yoga, and Aquacise. I feel bad that more people do not participate in the activities that they work hard to provide. They take pride in the job they do. They want your feedback. They want to know if it is at all similar to what you experience back home. They want to learn English and they are happy to teach you Spanish. We just had such a great time.

Tennis - I am amazed...12 tennis courts and not enough people to fill them. It seems like such a waste to have all that space and no people interested in playing. in fact they use one of the courts for Yoga in the morning. It's maddening if you love that sport! My husband got up everyday and played locals that have memberships to the club. Then stayed for the free tennis lesson and played with Paco the Tennis pro. It really is too bad more people don't know about the activities this place provides.

I also want to comment on the shows and band/singers cause I have read some comments on how both sucked. I don't pick a resort based on the evening shows or entertainment and I am always amazed that people feel the need to critic that part of a resort. Most of those people work in the resort, practice for the evening shows, when they are not doing their designated job and still come out and try to give you some form of entertainment. This year there was a circus act that was awesome. I was really surprised at the quality of the performances. But again I would never complain cause I know these people put in 12 hr days and get paid very little and are grateful if you compliment their performance and even more grateful if you tip them. I totally enjoyed the band and the repetition of the songs as I like to watch locals dance because it is so different from what i see and I notice that depending on the region of Mexico you are from your style of the same dance will be different. Those are the things I look at when I am sitting around watching people in the bar area. Yep, they play mostly Mexican music and they throw in the odd English song. They try to include us and thank the Canadians for coming thank us for dancing. If I wanted to know the name of a song or the style of a dance I just asked one of the animation team and they would write it down for me. I have been able to find all but one on itunes. I appreciate the effort and I enjoyed hearing music and seeing dance from their culture.

Bottom line is this location used to be a Club Med, so it was originally sports minded. There are 12 tennis courts, 3 or 4 squash courts, basketball court and volleyball court and beach volley ball area, and speed soccer court, not to mention the grass soccer field. There is bungee trampoline for $5 extra. So for people that want an active holiday that won't break the bank...this resort has all of this plus the things you have read about like the snorkeling, swimming and tons of stairs to keep you in shape.

Can't wait to go back again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have just returned after spending a week at Las Brisas resort. Lovely big clean rooms. Beautiful beaches, the grounds were magnificent and very well kept. the resort is built on the side of a hill with beautiful ocean views......i must say it was a little daunting to begin with when we realized how far we were away from the lobby & restaurant area,( we did ask for a high room expecting elevators) however there were "always" shuttle car waiting to take you to your room and when you called from your room for a car you didn't have to wait any more than two to three minutes. The eating areas were all very good, the gal that made our omelettes in the morning was excellent at her job and always so friendly as were all of the staff.......thank-you for a wonderful week.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank obanitevancouver
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We wanted an all inclusive for a family so picked Las Brisas and were not disappointed.The resort is great and has everything you could need. Everything is clean, rooms large and clean, (not super luxurious but not shabby either), the property is very well maintained and the beaches are great and safe. Staff are friendly - mostly Canadian and Mexican visitors when we were there . we ate mostly at the buffet which was always great and had a wide assortment to suite all tastes . . . we were given tickets to the 'a la carte' restaurants but found the buffet really good and if you don't mind self service you get your food faster so we ate there most of the time but if you want to have really good Mexican food go into Santa Cruz. The omelette station was great as was teh girl who ran it - custom make your breakfast omelette. Bring LOTS of small bills with you - preferably Pesos but USD is good also and people please tip - the guys on the resort are not paid much so a tip is really appreciated and will actually get you really great service such as non-stop drinks brought to your table/ beach chair etc. In terms of activities there is snorkelling on the resort but you can take a cab (~100 pesos) the 10-15 mins to Playa Entraga where the snorkelling is absolutely fantastic (Manta Rays etc). You can rent snorkeling equipment at Playa Entrega for 50 pesos per person and if you are not confident and you want a guide - you can get one of those also for a few hundred pesos otherwise just follow everyone else who is wearing a snorkel mask. The resort area was generally very quiet with very little traffic on the roads. A cab into Santa Cruz costs ~ 40 pesos - good selection of touristy things in teh market - embroidered tee shirts for 100 pesos and if you want you can get laundry (lavandoria) done in Santa Cruz for ~40 pesos for 3 kg . . . our cab driver actually offered to pick up the laundry for us and dropped it off at the resort for us so saved us an extra two way trip into town. Safety - felt very safe everywhere - people were very friendly. If there is trouble in Mexico its nowhere near this place. There are other resorts around the area and some great boutigue hotels such as La Quinta Real (which is worth a visit just for the view from the restauarant) but for an all round great famly vacation with everything you need in one place you can't beat Las Brisas.

Room tip: We didn't really spend a lot of daylight hours in our room so you can pay more for a balcony or jacuzzi if you want to. I think the beach club area probably has the best views but they are not bad anywhere
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Steven L
Reviewed 22 March 2012

From landing at the airport and exiting the plane out of the front and back doors to paying with Canadian cash at the duty free on my way home the trip was fantastic. The resort check in was immediate and on time as advertised. The trip to the room on one of the many shuttles foreshadow what the future would hold. It was 225 steps from the lobby to our room through gardens and grounds that were immaculate. It also gave a great view of some of the beaches on the resort. The steps were only about 2/3s as high as the normal step so the climb was much easier then you would think. If you are lazy, inebriated or unable to walk distances then take the shuttles that are always available. One call, wave of your hand or walk through the lobby and you are on your way. The rooms are immaculate with large bathrooms that have 2 separate sinks and large showers. One of my only "complaints" is the hard beds which I don't prefer. As mentioned the grounds are beautiful and include a botanical garden. There are many species of birds, multi-colored iguana/lizards and "squirrels " on steroids. There are always lounge chairs available as well as hammocks. The 3 beaches (wasn't allowed to the private beach...needed to upgrade..lol) are constantly cleaned and are plenty wide enough even with the tide. The ocean is beautiful different hues and make it easier to snorkel and see the colorful fish or sting rays. There were bars available for each beach as well as waiter/ress to take your order. The drinks included in the package were made with Smirnoff, Bacardi, malibu and regular liquers available in Canada. There is tennis, basketball beach volleyball and other sports available. The modern gym is huge with every machine, bike, treadmill needed as well as a consultant on site. The staff was sensational with smiles always ready and English always being used(sometimes not so well..lol). The towns were small and friendly. The country side was super clean and there were workers always somewhere cleaning up the gutters and other areas. Getting anywhere by taxi was 40pesos. There are sports bars with hockey, basketball etc on the multiple screens. Canadian money is accepted virtually everywhere at par with the US buck. About the 15th time to Mexico, second time to Huatulco and first time to Las Brisas and would return to all 3 without a second thought.

Room tip: Ocean view or upgrade. Neither really necessary as you should never spend much time in it. A jungle view is also just fine because there are many birds available to watch.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank AProudCanadian
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We arrived in Huatulco on March 3rd. Took us only 15 minutes to go through customs and get our bags. Best airport ever! We had an awesome english speaking driver from Gray Line who worked in Wisconsin for over 2 years. We are from Michigan. The area is so beautiful and clean. We never seen Mexico clean like this before. People really take pride in their community. They have such a cute town with a beautiful church in the center. A must see. Also the price for a taxi is only 4 dollars each way. Las Brisas was a nice resort. The pool water was always clean and warm, unlike all the other pools we are use to in Mexico. The rooms were nice and we had a beautiful view of the bay and resort. I would not pay extra for a balcony because it is too hot to sit out on it in the day time. Temps are very hot in this area compared to the Mayan areas. The grounds were lovely and if you called for a ride down to the resort from your room they were there in seconds. Never had to wait to get a ride back up to the room. Had some room issues and were dealt with immediately. The food was average. We are not picky eaters but they didn't have anything there that "Wowed" me. The music by the pool is very very annoying. They cannot operate it right. The activity people on the intercom was just as annoying. Lots of screams and lots of nothing coming out of their voices. I wish they had a variety of entertainment but the same singers were there every single night. Boring! There were a few nights that the stage entertainment was amazing. Better dancers than in Jamaica. Bartenders were not very entertaining like we are use too. Only one bar at night to go too. Four private beaches although one of the beaches is very rocky. Great snorkeling when there are no jelly fish or sting rays around. LOL People working there are very nice, very little english is used there. Be aware there are a lot of stairs everywhere. You can't get away from stairs. You must be ok about walking up and down stairs. Lots of cool wildlife around and very little undertow to worry about on these beaches compared to Dreams and Barcelona which is just down the bay from Las Brisas. We will go to Huatulco again but will stay somewhere else to compare.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple