5,704 results
All reviews snorkel beach mar section the mexican restaurant belly dancer middle beach a la carte restaurants fish main beach la crucecita el mexicano secret beach main bar bella vista club med tennis courts snack bar bird watching
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I really enjoyed my time at Las Brisas in Huatulco! We booked a month in advance and paid WAY more than anyone I talked to. Most people seemed to have booked a week in advance. So maybe watch and check prices. The resort was amazing tho...so I don't really care how much I spent!
The buffet food wasn't the best I've had in Mexico but the food is not why I went so it all worked out! The grounds are gorgeous. We upgraded and got an amazing room with a huge patio facing right out to the ocean. I believe the section we stayed in was Caribe. I LOVED our room. There were 3 swimming beaches all very clean and nice. We never had to fight for chairs at the beach or the pool like at other resorts. There were 5 a la carte restaurants and we ate at 4 of them. The Moroccan one (Kasbah) was by far our favorite! We ate there twice! I really cant say anything overly bad about this place. I loved all the walking and stairs. If we did need a shuttle we never waited more than a few minutes. There were also a very large amount of much older people there so the walking can't be that bad! I would go back in a heart beat!!!!!
One thing I would point out, we went on the bay tour in a Catamaran and although it was a fun time it was definitely slower and more boring than any other boat tour I've done in Mexico. Also instead of going on the archeological tour ($80 each) we opted to take a cab and go ourselves and it only cost us $20 each.
We went into La Crucecita, the shopping wasn't as fun as other places I've visited. We didn't buy too much because the prices were quite high and the people didn't seem to want to barter too much. One more thing, make sure you go to La Crema for pizza. It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Josie J
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We ended up at Las Brisas as part of the Sun Wing/Signature ‘Luxury on the Beach’ scam. The price we paid was the price we’d have paid to get Las Brisas from the outset, but the hope was extended that we might as readily get Barcelo or Dreams. As we found out later, ninety nine percent of the suckers who buy this package end up at Las Brisas. If Las Brisas is full—a rare event—one or two people might get placed in one of the better resorts offered in the ‘Luxury on the Beach’ package, just enough, I imagine, to avoid a false advertising charge. The Sun Wing champagne (all 2 or 3 ounces of it) was hardly worth the hype. The hot glue stick which they falsely labeled as ‘hot breakfast’ was a negative ‘feature’ of the package. Do yourself a favor and bring your own breakfast. There was at least an in-flight movie to help pass the time.
This was our first time to Huatulco and we loved the weather: clear and 32 degrees every day. We’ll definitely be going back to Huatulco, just not to Las Brisas. The Las Brisas resort is not without its charm. It’s spread out over the hill-side beside three small ‘private’ beaches. The ocean is very calm; the beaches are shallow; there’s a reef with fish to snorkel around at one of the beaches. Someone else said it’s a 50 acre resort; I don’t doubt it. There are four separate ‘villages’ of three story buildings. We were at the highest of them. On the most direct route to our room from the buffet/lobby/beach, there are 154 steps in two or three staircases, then the equivalent of 50 more steps in steep roadways. We saw one person in a wheelchair but clearly, this is not a resort for the disabled. We loved it. We walked everywhere and went home with much stronger legs. The resort has shuttle trucks with bench seats on the sides and back with steel restraining bars for the physically challenged and the lazy. Most guests use the shuttles. That’s sad, really. There’s so much to see when you walk: large and small lizards, birds—from the smaller colorful ones to the pheasant-sized birds that travel in groups and make lots of noise like turkeys—and a plethora of plant-life that we don’t see at home. My wife and I—both of us seniors—had no trouble climbing around the resort. One morning, we spent a couple hours walking through the entire resort, from the tennis courts to the building that looked like a power plant with its arrays of solar collectors (probably just a solar hot-water supply for the laundry, etc.) and on to all four ‘villages’ and all four beaches—the smallest ‘beach’ has only a few square feet of sand exposed at low tide. There are huge expanses of lawn where you can tan in the sun or read in the shade on a lounge in relative isolation. We liked that the lounges had pads on them.
The gym at Las Brisas is second to none that we’ve ever seen but sadly underutilized. There are twenty weight-training machines (only one was broken), about five treadmills, two or three steppers, more than a dozen stationary bikes and lots of free weights. At most, we saw two other people in the gym on the alternate days that we did our workouts. The only thing wrong with the gym was the 110 decibel music—no common sense there—even with earplugs in, I found it too loud. I asked the attendant to turn it down one time but that made little difference. As with all their music, they turn it up till it sounds distorted and then leave it there. Distortion is good. Bleeding ears are good, too, I guess.
There are negative things about Las Brisas. We had diarrhea much of the time there. We have been to a lot of resorts in Mexico on both coasts and, other than the two-star resort in Manzanillo—that we will never go back to—where I got e-coli, we have never experienced any problems from the food. On the days we ate in an a la carte restaurant, we had no problem, though. Every time we ate in the buffet, we had diarrhea. The breakfast buffet seemed OK, although the smaller breakfast buffet in the Mexican restaurant was outside and the sweet rolls were usually covered with flies. We avoided those. The day we arrived we used the main buffet and I asked my wife if she had booked us on a vegetarian holiday. First the airline and now the resort had no meat! There was pan after pan of vegetable dishes—with no meat. Then I discovered a grill in the back of the buffet that served the Mexican version of ‘steaks,’ carne asada.. Twenty years ago that’s all you could get for beef in Mexico. Carne asada is a ‘steak’ of sorts, a quarter of an inch thick, tough as leather. We had hoped never to have to eat carne asada again but when it’s the only meat in the restaurant, what can you do? Other days were better and on some days they even had three meat dishes on the buffet—the usual chicken mole, fish and variations of carne asada. On occasion there was a beef or pork roast being served up in razor-thin slices.
The a la carte restaurants were all good, better than the buffet. The ‘fish’ restaurant, though—a snack bar by day— is right next to the lobby bar and the pounding rock music from the bar was not conducive to a relaxing evening meal.
The Mexican culture in general has never displayed any common sense when it comes to the volume of their music and it’s certainly the case at Las Brisas. In most places the sound sensitive individual can get far enough away from the noise to endure it. Their theater is intolerable, the lobby bar insufferable, most restaurants at least annoying. The main buffet is situated in a concrete bunker with no sound deadening materials. It’s extremely noisy when it’s full of people, and then they play loud screechy music over top of the noise. Eat and run is the order of the day. The residences were reasonably quiet. There were lots of Mexicans at the resort, especially on the weekends. They live loud in the daytime but are quiet at night, at least, unlike many fellow Canadians.
Other reviews have said the staff are friendly. They are but they know next to no English. As elsewhere in Mexico, they make out like they know more than they do. Better brush up on your Spanish.
Las Brisas was touted as a four to five star resort, along with the others in the ‘Luxury on the Beach’ offer/scam. It is not. There are three star things about it and the layout and roominess of the resort itself rates four stars. The food, and just about everything else, does not. Overall, we’d give it three and a half stars, at best. The place is aging and needs more vigorous renovation efforts to be put forth. Our room was OK but the hallway leading to our room was stained and dirty. I keep my garage floor looking better than that. The door was ill-fitting and the deadbolt was hanging loosely by two screws; the other two were missing. The residences are of the old-style construction where the utility conduits go between rooms through an open channel. We had a time-share that was built the same way. Whatever happens in one room, you can smell in every other room. Some mornings we woke up with sewer smell in the room; one morning it smelled like someone was boiling goat hooves. The air-conditioning system, the way it’s built, sucks air from the service channel, and hence from all the rooms. There’s nothing to be done about that. At least they declared all the rooms as non-smoking and put in smoke detectors to drive the smokers outside where they congregate in loud mobs late into the night.
We’d already booked a ‘Luxury on the Beach’ scam with Sun Wing/Signature for PV in March before we knew how this one in Huatulco would turn out. It’s the same deal, according to the reviews: they send everyone to the worst resort of those listed. We’ve already determined not to get caught in this scam again. Next year we’ll pay more and be assured of getting something better. Well, reasonably assured. We hope. It’s still Mexico after all; nothing is guaranteed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sulfonic
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We just came back from our 1st trip to Mexico-so not disappointed.
Las Brisas had lots to offer-found the short walking paths by the 2nd day and shuttle was only a minute wait if that.The weather was a beautiful 32 degrees every day and we never once had to scrounge for beach chairs. The food was very good at all the ala cartes and the omelets at the mexican buffet in the morning were always excellent.
The staff were helpful and friendly every day and remembered us quickly after couple of days. Our rooms were very clean with very good water pressure in the shower. Our minifridge kept cutting out but we were next door to friends so we were able to share and keep our drinks cold otherwise we would have called for it to be fixed. Will return to Huatulco to Las Brisas again another time and maybe will try another resort but not sure if the others have as much to offer as far as beach areas go.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2012

....Although quite far if you come from Oaxaca, Huatulco and( staying at Las Brisas Resort) was worth the trip.I was happy with the security,amenities, entertainment , clanliness and food.The hotel staff were very courteous and non intrusive.

Room Tip: Rooms are at a distance from from the lobby.This is not a place for disabled guests or whoever has issues in walking on an incline terrain.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank paulviajero
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We just came back from our 3rd trip to Las Brisas and Huatulco. We will go back but maybe try another hotel as more and more people with kids are finding this location and we go on holidays to leave the kids behind. Having said that, the food is okay - nothing special, but always in abundance and you'll always find something you like. Lots of stairs so this place is not for the mobility challenged. The grounds and views are fantastic; the staff are all friendly and speak english (although most not fluently). The fact that the majority of visitors are Canadian, something like 90%, is just an added bonus. From our first visit in 2008, I think there is some upgrading getting done but it would be nice to get new beds - hardest thing I've ever tried to sleep on. Air conditioning in the room worked great; the water was hot and the pressure in the shower was more than adequate; the view from the balcony was unbelievable and the sun rise shining in our room was wonderful! The snorkelling is really good but unfortunately, we were told the reef died last year, except a small core, so I don't know for how much longer the snorkelling will be good. The beaches have nice sand and they all have cabanas and/or umbrellas and lounge chairs to get out of the sun.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple