“Hotel was 75% Mexican visitors - we loved it!”

Hotel Castillo Huatulco Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
Victoria, Canada
“Hotel was 75% Mexican visitors - we loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

This was our third time to Huatulco, the first couple of times we stayed in one of the large hotels in Tangolunda. We really enjoyed this hotel, which as many reviewers have said - is quaint and not americanized!

Our quiet, clean room, with a great balcony, overlooked the street - not noisy as you might think, but an interesting view of the Marina, and activity on the street. We also liked the 10-15 mins walk to the beach club (although there is a convenient shuttle bus every 15 mins or so).

The food was more Mexican than north american, and we loved it all. The staff were excellent, very friendly and when they tried to speak English we tried out our "simple" spanish. It was fun.

We met some great people there, including a little Mexican girl aged 7 years, who had lost her front teeth. She used to walk up to my husband whenever he was sitting around the pool, go right up to his face and chat with him in Spanish. He always nodded his head, shrugged his shoulders and said "no comprendez" ... she would smile and wave goodbye. Her mother told us that she is called "Periquito" at school! We weren't surprised!

We would definitely return to the Castillo, and would recommend it if you want to experience a more Mexican feel to a hotel in Huatulco.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SuzVic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

I recently returned from my 2nd trip to Huatulco and this year decided to stay at the Hotel Castillo instead of a large resort on Tangolunda Bay. Staying in Santa Cruz has many benefits. It is a nice walk into Le Crucecita or a cheap 20 – 50 peso cab ride to most bays in the area, plus you have all the amenities of the Santa Cruz businesses a few steps away. Beaches, shops, restaurants, banks, and a historic small church are all right there. You will have the opportunity to see a lot more of the area which is within walking distance compared to a hotel which is a four km drive away on Tangolunda Bay. Nothing against the hotels on Tangolunda, I just prefer Santa Cruz because it gave me the opportunity to get a feel for the area and experience more than I did last year. Since I was closer to so many more amenities I saw and experienced more, and met more people than I did last year. I really enjoy meeting the people and experiencing life in Mexico. For the example the soccer field is close and we watched many games cheering on the hotel staff and other friends that play on various teams. This outdoor facility has soccer fields, basketball courts, volleyball courts and the area is very busy in the evenings and it is a great facility for the all to enjoy. I must also mention that I always felt very safe in the area no matter where I was day or night.
The hotel is small, very clean, and pretty quiet and the staff are some of the nicest people I have ever met. They are all very welcoming and do their best to accommodate any requests. I was there during Valentines Day and the hotel offered a fabulous evening dinner with table service, instead of buffet style. It was held in a large banquet room and was beautifully decorated and presented, as guests we really felt like someone made an extra effort to offer us a wonderful evening. You can see that there is a sense of pride in the employees as they all seem to really enjoy their jobs and all seem to get along and work together as a team. Quite a few of the staff do speak some English and they are always willing to help teach you a few phrases in Spanish. The food was always fresh, plentiful and good. The variety is not as large as a big hotel, but there is always something for everyone. Breakfast always had fresh fruit, fabulous baked goods and a made to order omelette bar. As well as a variety of yogurt, cereal and hot items. There was always a fresh fish dish prepared several different ways at lunch and often soup with plenty of large shrimp and sometimes crab. I don’t ever remember having fresh crab at the larger resorts. There were also salads, fries, fresh salsa, chips and great guacamole, and of course deserts. Dinner always had good options with fresh salads and vegetables, soup, fish and a few other meat options. All meals usually had a couple of options that offered a real Mexican flavor. Which is another reason why I like this hotel – I want to experience Mexican not American food.
The hotel is not ocean front, but has a beach club with friendly, reliable shuttle service all day long. It is also a nice walk from the hotel and it offers comfy hammocks, a pool and children’s area, clean washrooms, buffet lunch and plenty of beverages. I never had a problem finding a palapa or lounge chair at any time of the day.
The rooms are very clean and basic with air conditioning and a safe that will accommodate a notebook computer, a full sized SLR camera and still have room for more. The beds are a little on the hard side, but I have stayed in hotels at home with beds that were worse. The bathroom was clean with a large counter top and sink, walk in shower, but no tub. My room overlooked the main street which had some traffic noise, but died down by 10:30 pm or so. I also had the view of the marina and the ocean and could watch the sunrise every morning.
I met several wonderful people from all over Canada during my stay. Some were first time visitors and others return year after year. There was always a friendly face in the lounge area to chat with over a cold beverage. Overall, this hotel is a great little place to stay, I have no complaints or concerns and will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
10 Thank AngelSaskatchewan
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

My wife and I returned from the Castillo on March 8th. It was our second year in a row at this hotel both times staying for two weeks.
This is a very comfortable hotel. Our room could do with some "updating" but that is not a complaint, it's an observation. The room was very comfortable. Having travelled extensively over the years we have found this hotel and it's staff to be of the most friendly and helpfull we have encountered. Every request of the staff was attended to very promptly, always with a smile. The food at both the hotel and the Beach Club was very good with a good selection of choices. The Beach Club is just excellent. It's one of the reasons we like this hotel so much.
We attended a football (soccer for you colonials) game to support the hotel staff team. Sadly they were beaten 4-1.
My only "complaint" of the staff is, if you are playing a team who are mostly taller than you, keep the ball on the ground. That was how they scored their only goal.
A great crowd working in a great hotel in a great little place.

To "Coco, Hector and the rest of the staff," can't wait to see you all again next year.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Kilrimin
Winnipeg Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

We spent 2 weeks at the Hotel Castillo Huatulco and I want to "ditto" all the positive comments made by other travellers to this hotel. I have absolutely no negative comments about this hotel or the wonderful staff. Yes, it could use a bit of re-decorating but so could my own home!
We loved the mostly authentic Mexican food and atmosphere. The location of this hotel is central to anywhere that you may want to go either by taxi or bus or just go for an evening stroll. We have been to many other locations in Mexico and Huatulco has been the best yet as has this hotel.
We just felt so comfortable there as though it was our own home!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teresa049
Cape Breton Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

Better half and I stayed at the Castillo last half of Feb. for 2 weeks. This was our 3rd time and not a lot changes, good service, friendly staff, good food, beautiful beach club and most of all clean, clean, clean. The bar on the main floor seems to be the place to meet and greet as we meet some wonderful people from Manitoba (they just cracked us up). The only downside to the bar is they do close around 11:00 pm. The rooms are slightly outdated, wonky tv reception all in Spanish and hard beds but after all day out you'll sleep very well. The location is perfect as you can walk into La Crucecita or over to the beach club, or just stay in Santa Cruz and stroll around. The hotel has a med. size pool as does the beach club but we never spent much time in either. Most of our time was spent in the Pacific. The red warning flag is up most of the time so you have to be careful if your not a strong swimmer. I cannot say enough about the staff at the beach club and the hotel, everyone from Coco, Tello, Wilbert and Aseal they were all great, anytime I needed something they were there. It is disappointing that all staff work so hard and get paid so little, they do appreciate all tips and some people should be a little more generous. This has to be one of the safest destinations that we have ever been too, never have we ever had any kind of trouble. Will we go back again, You Betcha, see ya next year

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple