“A lovely place, quiet and beautiful !”

Camino Real Zaashila
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 19 March 2017

My wife and I needed a quiet and sunny getaway in the winter of 2017 and we were told about Huatulco by a friend, we were so blessed, from the warm sunny weather, great food at the resort or if we wanted a different flavor we took a taxi for about $2.50 and went to the small town square closeby. The staff was wonderful and friendly and the AC was great, they told us that we would not have good WI-FI except in the lobby however we were in room 122 and had excellent WI-FI. We felt very safe and were extremely blessed on this trip. The only bad experience on the entire trip is that we were given breakfast at the Secrets resort and also very highly presssured to pay them money for a membership.DO NOT GO TO SECRETS FOR A TOUR, THEY ARE HIGH PRESSURE CROOKS ! The Camino Real is not super high end fancy but clean, quiet, friendly, and lovely !

Room Tip: Tell them you want ocean view
4  Thank gideonyutzy

Reviewed 16 March 2017

This resort has many of the same amenities of a larger resort, but has a smaller "feel". Not as many rooms, winding paths, lots of foliage, short walks to restaurants, pool and beach. The room service and pool service was reliable and speedy. Restaurants were of good quality, but not spectacular. But perfectly fine. The seafood at the beach restaurant was really good. And there are some guys who will go diving for oysters. Not part of the hotel package, but definitely worth it. All in all, the resort has a smaller, more local feel than the bigger, international chains. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: the ground floor rooms with plunge pool beside the ocean is definitely worth the upgrade.
6  Thank Daniel R
Reviewed 15 March 2017

We just enjoyed a one week stay at the Camino. We were on an all inclusive package through Sunwing. We have stayed here twice before and this trip was just as good as previous visits. Very relaxing. This is a quiet resort with no restaurant line ups or early morning rush for a beach or pool location. The staff are all wonderful. Very friendly and always willing to help us with our poor Spanish.
Our experience with the food was good. Food quality was very good even if the same order is presented differently when ordered a second time. We have a few favourite restaurants in town, so did not eat every meal on the resort.
The bar is open untill 11pm and there is no entertainment.
Our room was clean and the bed very comfortable, fridge restocked daily with 2 sodas, 4 beers, 2 small waters, small can of Pringles and a chocolate bar. Our room was cleaned daily but not until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. View was wonderful. We did not upgrade to a plunge pool room.
The beach is clean and no problem to get a palapa. Yellow flag all days but the last 2 days we felt the ocean to be too rough for our level of swimming. All other days we were in the ocean numerous times to help cool down.We also were in the pool daily. Very clean and uncrowded. No restriction on going into the pool at night as we have run into at other resorts.
Check in and out was quick and easy, very friendly service. We will stay again and would recommend this resort to any one wanting a relaxing, quiet holiday.

9  Thank ElJimador4u
Reviewed 12 March 2017

This is our third year vacation in Haultuco and by far this resort was perfect for us. It is quiet and relaxing, where all guests are there for the same reason. The staff are very professional and helpful with any need you may have. Every area of the resort is taken care, the pool is stunning, you can walk the private beach, and there are enough loungers with shade for vacationers. Each room has its own private pool along with a view of the ocean. The best part of this resort is that it is intimate. There are no long line ups, no pushy or obnoxious guests, just peace and quiet. We loved this resort and will be back next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one bedroom condo. It had its own balcony and pool with an unobstructed view of the...
6  Thank sandraa816
Reviewed 10 March 2017

This is my eighth time travelling to Mexico. It's my first time in Huatulco. It definitely felt very different than any other places I've travelled in Mexico. As you have read this is a very quiet hotel which I loved. Swimming in the pool all you could hear was the waves.
The ocean is beautiful, yes the waves were a bit rough and I'm not the greatest swimmer but I had no problems swimming in the ocean. I have to say though it did change some days and it was a lot calmer. The grounds are clean and beautiful as well.

One area they could definitely improve in is the housekeeping. I had to call every single day to have my room cleaned. After the fourth day I learned to just call early when I leave the room for breakfast. Even though I did that there was times it still wasn't cleaned late in the afternoon and I would have to call again and again. I didn't let the little things bother I still generously tipped. However, it's a good idea to stock up on water and fresh towels early on in the day. I did tell the lady I would like my room cleaned every day and even mentioned it to the front desk. Despite that I still had to call to have the room cleaned EVERY DAY which I thought that was a bit strange. Also they only change the sheets and not the blankets. I kept waiting for them to change the dirty blanket but it just never happened.

We upgraded at the hotel to an oceanfront room with a plunge pool. Before I booked my ticket I called the hotel to make sure that there was those specific room still available and put on hold for me. It was definitely worth every penny. The plunge pool right in front of our room was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. The guys would check the water and clean it every morning which was nice. The plunge pool is cooler than the main pool. It is very refreshing on a hot day that's for sure. Building three was perfect it is close to everything.

The staff was very nice. They were kind professional and friendly. Mauricio, the restaurant manager was so sweet and made such an effort to make sure everyone was happy during the breakfast buffet. So many hard workers. If you are lounging outside your room in the pool or at the main pool they are always at your service. One of the most hard working people I have ever met was Avelino ! Other workers such as Antonio, Enrique, Carlos and Maria were always there trying to make everyones stay a pleasant one. Please people tip these hard-working employees, they deserve it.

As you know from previous reviews there is one breakfast buffet in the morning and then two restaurants that alternate. There is usually specials that they have on the beach ...burger night or pizza night. Etc.
At the buffet in the morning there is something for everyone. The food is hot and fresh which is good. Ask for the lattes or cappuccinos they are quite good. I wasn't too crazy about the two restaurants so we did order room service a lot. After a week or two the food gets a bit old. More of a variety would be nice. Also, You must have a lot of patience when ordering room service. A couple of times we were hung up on in the middle of our order. Other times we had to wait for someone that speaks English. They definitely need to improve in this department. It happens ALOT. I know it's hard for everyone to speak English but the person answering the phone should understand a little at least as there was a lot of mixups and misunderstandings. I imagine this costs the hotel more money when mistakes happen.

One thing I wish we did more of was go into town, it was a three dollar cab ride. If you are getting sick of the food or need a change of atmosphere La crucesita is a nice town to escape. Lots of tourists there and it felt very safe to leave our resort. La crema had good pizza. Also mama Mia had one of the best spinach filled ravioli I have ever had it was delicious.

I noticed there are a lot of people offering tours for snorkelling in la entrega. That beach was definitely very calm and beautiful. The water is crystal clear. We spent 160 US and did a private boat ride to the different bays. Next time I will just take a cab and pay $10 and enjoy the snorkelling for a couple hours. I believe we paid five dollars for a table on the beach for the day once we got there. Some bays you could not access by car. Hence why we did the boat tour. We had one beach all to ourselves at one point. It was very beautiful. Especially because some of the beaches in front of the hotels are a little rough to swim in.

Also make sure you bring all the little things that you need because the gift shop has all kinds of random hours it opens and closes whenever it pleases.
The rooms have no alarm clock or time indicating anywhere so make sure you have a watch or some kind of device if you need it.

One day we couldn't find our remote, we made a call and there was someone at our door right away to assist us. The service is good like I previously mentioned it's more so the language barrier that interferes.

I notice on the room service menu there was things not on the menu like the brownie, the pecan pie, pizza or the chilli nachos. All very tasty. Another thing I may add is when we were in the restaurant we ordered guacamole and we got guacamole with cooked grasshoppers on top. We were not exactly thrilled to try it and the waiter seemed a little offended. So just make sure you order plain guacamole :) it is very delicious along with the pico de gallo.

Overall I would come back to this hotel. It's not your typical all inclusive hotel with Buffets available for breakfast lunch and dinner. It's not a loud and busy hotel.
It's clean, the beach is beautiful, And the people at this hotel are very nice. Oceanfront room is the way to go for us.
Be prepared to have some patience as they do need to improve in some areas like housekeeping and room service but that is not a reason you can't enjoy a perfect vacation.

Room Tip: Plunge pool oceanfront room definitely the best
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family