Playa Suites Acapulco
Boca Chica Hotel(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
USD 147*
Princess Mundo Imperial(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
USD 134*
USD 130*
  • Beachfront
Pierre Mundo Imperial(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
USD 105*
USD 235*
USD 74*
Alba Suites(Acapulco)
USD 58*
Emporio Acapulco Hotel(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
USD 77*
USD 649*
USD 602*
Sands Acapulco Hotel & Bungalows(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
USD 52*
USD 49*
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
USD 41*
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 March 2010

The Playa Suites is the cesspool that is Acapulco. I and two friends purchased the all-inclusive package for one week. We nearly went insane by the 4th day and were checked out and on to a different hotel by the 5th day. The food, buffet style, must have been saved daily to be served again the following day. The beach is loaded with peddlers who do not know when to quit, it is impossible to go down and lay out and relax on the beach without being offered massages, jewelry, sombreros, or drugs. Pool towels may be from the early 90's at best, and pool appears to be filthy. If planning on walking outside of the hotel on to the street and into the city, prepare to be aggressively harassed by cabbies and people trying to get you to come to their strip club. The police presence in the area(Gold Zone) is disheartening(Dudes carrying high caliber assault rifles on street to "protect you"). In the end we became trapped in the hotel room. Thankfully we were able to get out of there early.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank VVVAnonymousTraveler
Reviewed 12 March 2010

The rooms are large but very dated and a lot of things broken,the maid service was just ok i had to ask every day for wash cloths.My stay at playa suites wasn’t pleasant this time I stayed there many times in the past but I will move on . I had to change rooms 4 times before I could get one that was acceptable. The elevator’s in the one building doesn’t work and the other keeps breaking down and on weekends it get very crowded with Mexicans. I had a contract from a travel agency that the day I left they tried to get more money than the balance due they claim the rate went up so they don’t want to honor the contract which still isn’t settled. The security at the hotel doesn’t speak English and harass some of the customers there. Mexico in general isn’t safe there are police all over the place people getting robbed by the waiters and vendors. I think after this experience I will try another location.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2010

We had a wonderflu room, separate king bed area and a living room which would have been great for kids to bunk in - if we had kids. Many other guests did have kids and that meant the pool and beach were crowded. We were there on a weekend as well. I can see this as a great party place but for us, we are a bit past that stage in life. As to the amenities, food was fine, service good, but in general too crowded for our taste

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WyoMary
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My boyfrined and I were staying in Playa Suites Acapulco for five nights as the start of our 4 weeks long Mexican vacation in December 2008. Overall it was better than expected but it was due to several reasons and not exactly because of the hotel facilities. The hotel is very simple, nothing fancy, the rooms are ok, might need some renovation. There is a smell in the building which reminds me to my old dormitory's room smell, but it is wierd only when you arrive.
Food: The breakfast was not included in the price (92 USD per night for a suite with an ocean view from the 29th of Dec till the 3rd of Jan) but if you pay for it for the whole stay at the reception it is slightly cheaper. The breakfast btw is incredible for an European, they make any kind of eggs you want. We also tried the beach bar for lunch but nothing special, rather simple. There are plenty of restaurants nearby so you can go out for dinner to a different place every night.
Room: We stayed in a 'suite' with an ocean view which was really worth it. We slept with an open window every night and were listening to the sound of the waves, it was really nice. There was a so called kitchen in the suite but there was no equipment at all, only an extremly old fridge. We took this advantage and bought a small cooler box and beer at the small deli accross the street, put it into the fridge and have really cold beer for the day. So we could drink the beer we wanted an saved some money. It was New Year's Eve when we were there and the firework was amazing from our balcony on the 9th floor.
We had wireless internet connection in our room but I am not sure it was the hotel's sign.
There was a safe in the room as well which was very usefull.
The staff did not really speak English, but we could get along.
Acapulco overall: It was a great decision from us to start our trip in Acapulco, because it is something we definitely wanted to see but would have been very disappointed going there after the Caribbeans. It is hudge, old, touristic and kind of retro and was full of Mexicans. Which is a good thing. There were a lots of hawker as well. There were someone who wanted to sell you something in every two minutes. Especially if you go out of the fence of the hotel and stay on the beach.
Overall it was ok, but expect a very simple but clean room with furnitures and style from the 70's and you will not be disappointed. It was ok for us for the first 5 days but if this would have been THE vacation I woud have gone somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VickyD_bp
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I traveled to Acapulco with 6 others during the week of March 8th, 2009. All of those traveling within our group were in their early to mid twenties and male. We chose to stay at the Playa Suites specifically because we were told that it was a Spring Break 'hot spot' destination. NOTE TO TRAVELERS: This hotel during the months of March and April is a SPRING BREAK destination. If you go during this time, expect to see topless women, hear loud music, and be surrounded by excessive drinking. If you are going to this hotel on Spring Break, you will have a blast as long as you are under 28 years old. This review describes other aspects of the hotel for those traveling during other months, but just be warned if you are 'not' a spring breaker and are planning on traveling during Spring Break season.

CHECKING IN
As we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a bell hop who loaded all of our bags (all 15 of them) onto a cart for us. He didn't speak much english but was friendly and courteous. Checking in at the hotel lobby was a breeze and every one staying in the room received a key. The reception staff was very friendly and spoke fluent english.

ROOM
We were staying in the 'penthouse suite' on the top floor of the hotel. The room is EXACTLY identical to one of the smaller suites except that it has a spiral staircase leading to a second story bedroom that has it's own bathroom and larger balcony (there is also a balcony downstairs). The room was clean for our standards but the amenities are basic. Don't expect luxurious bedding, a flat screen TV, or marble floors. The bathrooms were clean enough although I wouldn't take a bath in the shower/tub. The toilet paper was one or two ply and the towels were not soft. The upstairs balcony was our favorite part of the room. We moved all of the furniture from the room (table, chairs, coffee table, etc.) onto the balcony and spent most of our time there. The only drawback was that our view was of the hotel next door (and garbage below) and that the light on the balcony didn't work (none of the rooms' balcony lights worked for some reason) but there was enough light pouring outside through the glass sliding doors that it didn't matter that much.

ELEVATORS
The elevators usually had workers in them to push the buttons for you which was nice, but they didn't have air conditioning and got really hot. The main problem with the elevator was that if there were more than 7 people in it, the doors wouldn't close (because it was over the weight limit). Sometimes the doors would close, and the elevator would go up a floor or two and then literally STOP in the middle of two floors. this happened to me once and I heard about it happening to others. We literally had to PRY the elevator doors open and jump out of the elevator while it was in between floors.--not a 'huge' deal if you're a drunk twenty-something guy on spring break, but I can't imagine that my 55 year old mother would be enjoying herself.

POOL & AMENITIES
The pool, 'Corona Lounge', and proximity to the beach & water sports were the best features of the hotel. The pool was large but no more than 4 or 5 feet deep in any given place. The hotel took out the bar in the middle of the pool (which is in a lot of pics of the hotel pool) and replaced it with an island for sunbathing and 'contests'. There was ample room for sunbathing, with many chairs set up for this purpose. I believe there was also a kiddy pool in the pool area as well.

The hotel property is literally on the beach and a walk downstairs leads you to the entrance of the public beach. During Spring Break, Corona sponsors an open beer bar called the 'Corona Lounge' where there's a live DJ and several Corona Bikini Models hanging out daily.

FOOD
We received the '24/7 All Inclusive' package which granted us access to food at all hours of the day. One of the benefits of the Playa Suites all-inclusive is that they server unlimited BOTTLED WATER, which I heard is very rare. It's important to drink bottled water because Mexico water is laden with bacteria and who knows what.

The food itself was decent but certainly not great, and you'd be doing yourself a favor by eating at some of the local restaurants during some of you stay. The food was served buffet style daily and for lunch and dinner always had the same staples: guacamole, tortilla chips, elements to make salads (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc.) and dressings of different kinds. The 'entrees' would change daily but there was usually a couple of meat options, a pasta, and a rice. There was also a dessert table with fried platanos, cakes, pies, and more.

A note on the food: I'm a vegetarian and I got by just fine. I do eat fish, and I would say about 60% of the time there was some sort of seafood option. For those eating meat, there is almost always some sort of chicken and/or beef or pork. For those who are vegetarian or are simply more picky about their diets...I would highly recommend getting the tortilla chips along with guacamole, salsa, rice, and vegetables. This was a combo that was almost always available and was tasty and healthy. For those looking to eat at a restaurant around the hotel, I would HIGHLY recommend 'Paradise' which is a couple blocks down the street. Excellent food for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and they have parrots and toucans just hanging out. They are also right on the beach.

CONCLUSION
The hotel was fairly inexpensive and was suitable for the needs of a group of 20-something guys looking for a Spring Break party scene. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to somebody looking for a Spring Break experience. For all other travelers...this hotel meets your basic needs and the staff are courteous. If the rates at this hotel are cheaper than others and you aren't needing to be 'pampered' all week, this hotel will suit you just fine.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank BESTofBUFFALO