I stayed one night at the Hotel Pueblo Amigo to try their casino and also to do some shopping. If you want to stay in a decent place in Tijuana but want to be super safe and near the border, this is where you should go. The best way to get there is to just walk across the border, follow easy directions, and 10 minutes later you will be at the hotel. You can also drive (it will take you less than 2 minutes after crossing the border), but then you will have to deal with the auto line going back.
This is a good 4-star hotel. There are only 120 or so rooms, it looks larger from the outside but there are only rooms on 2 sides of the hotel, the other 2 sides are walls. My standard King room was on the 5th floor with a decent city view through a very large window. Nothing was wrong with the room at all, the WiFi worked great. I read on TripAdvisor that the rooms might be noisy, but I was there on a Friday night and I could hear very little noise outside the room. I reserved the room on their website and paid about $85 which included breakfast and WiFi.
There is a fine casino in the hotel with hundreds of slot machines and also a few table games like blackjack. There are smoking and non-smoking casino rooms. To be honest I didn't come away a winner, but I still had fun and met some new friends.
There is also a sports book on-site which seemed to cover all major sports.
The buffet breakfast was first class with lots of selections (both Mexican and American) and very good food.
The main drawback to staying here is that although it's close to the border, it isn't near a lot of action other than what's in the hotel. There's an area next door called Pueblo Amigo which at one time was home to many restaurants, clubs, and shopping, but now it's more like a ghost town with 80-90% of the stores empty. There are a few businesses open but they cater to the locals. The best place within walking distance is a "Ley" supermarket which has good liquor buys. I bought a liter of Kahlua there for less than $10 - WAY less than the "tourist" liquor stores in Tijuana.
I felt very safe in the hotel and in the few blocks around it. I wasn't hassled at all and everyone was friendly. But I didn't venture much further. The next morning it was a short walk back to the border, maybe 10-15 minutes, and the waiting line was ONLY 10 minutes long (vs. 60-90 minutes for cars!)
This is a high quality hotel and they cater to Americans. Everyone speaks English and is very friendly. Although I didn't win anything in the casino, that won't deter me from coming back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pueblo Amigo Plaza Hotel & Casino is ideally situated in the exclusive Zona Río, part of the most important commercial and financial area in the city of Tijuana. It is the closest hotel to the U.S. border and is within minutes of strategic points such as Tijuana's International Airport and the city of San Diego.Hotel Pueblo Amigo boasts the famous "El Patio Restaurant" its daily breakfast buffet is traditional and well renown by locals. The prpperty offers unique in-house entertainment featuring a Sports Center, Casino and gaming rooms. High Technology is also available with WiFi In-Rooms and most public areas. We are happy to provide many other amenities including: a bilingual staff, private parking, round-the-clock security, Meeting and Banquet Rooms and a free shuttle to the U.S. border. Near the Hotel, there are two of the main hottest spots for dancing and enjoying the music of the moment, Alebrijes and Pasha! the best antros as of today, only at Pueblo Amigo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Wotif.com, Booking.com, TravelClick, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Pueblo Amigo Plaza & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Pueblo Amigo Plaza Tijuana
- Hotel Pueblo Amigo Plaza And Casino
- Pueblo Amigo Hotel
- Pueblo Amigo Tijuana