“Late afternoon Horseback ride”
Review of Rancho El Cajon

Rancho El Cajon
Ranked #4 of 11 Nature & Parks in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Went for a 2-3 hour horseback ride with Kim, who was great! The rancher, Chayo, will also take you out. He was real nice and is working hard to build his business. You can ride into the arroyo but it was too hot that day so we headed out towards the beach and had a little run out there and Kim took some pictures of the family.

2  Thank valowens0630
"pesos"
"fisherman"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I'm a novice rider, as is my husband. The ranch horses all seemed gentle and calm. I rode the "most gentle one" during our 3 hour ride. He moved slowly but did break into a trot on the beach. I did just fine with Kim's instructions and guidance. She is an English speaker. The ride took us through mountainous, dry desert terrain to white sandy beaches with a spectacular view of Isla Espiritu Santo. Beautiful country ride on gentle horses with Kim as the perfect guide. She is warm, friendly, and knowledgeable. This working ranch takes good care of the horses and the owner is kind and friendly. I would love to do the ride again soon!

1  Thank zuzuDC
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Kim took us on gentle horses all the way to the beach. We rode by 2 "fish shack" villages where the "houses" are primitively built of pallets, bits of wood and scavenged pieces of concrete. No electricity, running water or toilets. If one has to go potty, Kim points to the bushes, "There it is!" The horses seem to know the way, so there is not much direction needed from the riders. Kim is a great source of information about local culture and events. She is American but speaks Spanish with the ranchers, who speak no English. We had our pictures taken at a special spot on a hill above the beach. It was a perfectly beautiful day and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Highly recommend this. Btw, I am 68, so Kim & others helped me on & off the horse!!

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Had a great time at Rancho El Cajon, it's a legit working Mexican farm far from Cabo, and is definitely for those looking for an authentic expensive. The rancher spoke no English, but we had a great time using hand signals to go for a beautiful ride on the beach. Lots of galloping included for free! Horse was friendly and eager, however to be noted I am experienced, and for a novice make sure to get some instruction as you do not want to fall off, so make sure to have the rancher show you the basics. But we had some learners in our group and they had a great time too. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank Globetrotter13_9a
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Our family has done a fair amount of riding on vacations and I have to say that our time with Kim at the Rancho El Cajon was some of the best we have ever had. It is an old style free range ranch so things are very laid back. Since we had ridden before, this was wonderful.So many times you go on vacation rides and the horse is extremely reluctant to leave the butt of the horse in front of you, or to trot, much less canter. The horses at Rancho El Cajon were very responsive and eager to run. They got along well with each other and were well behaved. We did a wonderful ride up an arroyo between beautiful green walled canyons with several stretches to canter. Then we went to the beach and they really took off - So fun to gallop along the beach with your family beside you!! The kids and my wife and I had a ball! Kim was very friendly and chatty and helpful. I would Highly recommend this horseback riding experience to others, especially if they have prior horseback riding experience. We will be back!

1  Thank Tory M