All reviewsfront deskfresh fruitgymfixtureswifimarinamalecon
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

This place is a bargain compared to most other hotels in the area. I'm not sure how to review it though...

Let me start with the pros:
- good AC
- breakfast included
- descent gym equipment
- nice pool area
- modern, simple room designs
- functioning wifi

Cons:
- thin walls
- slamming doors echo throughout the floor in the wee hours of the morning
- Hades-like hallways on the 5th floor...why don't they turn the AC on in the common areas?!
- no coffee maker in room
- old and dirty appearing towels and sheets
- still wondering if they actually cleaned our room each day

Overall, my husband and I were able to save a few bucks and put that towards swimming with the whale sharks (the whole reason why we're in this town to begin with). We didn't spend much time at the hotel; we rarely ever do. So, our stay was satisfactory. This is a good budget option if you don't the need the frills.

P.S. If you don't speak Spanish, this is not the place for you. It seems like mostly locals stay here for business or vacation. The staff can not help you much if you only speak English.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maxine K
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

My wife found this hotel and I admit when we arrived I was skeptical because the room rate was so low. After seeing the room I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't call it luxury but it was very clean and had everything you need. The breakfast was satisfactory and the staff was friendly and helpful. I did find the mattress a little hard but acceptable. Overall bang for the buck you can't beat this hotel.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John M
Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

The hotel is clean as are the rooms.

In general terms the hotel is comfortable but the ambiance is very flat.

The breakfast is a 7/as far as hit breakfasts go.

The hotel is located off of the Malecón (boardwalk) so you would need a car to get there.

Next time in town I'll get something within walking distance of the Malecón which I can get for the same price.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Orlando R
Reviewed 7 April 2016

We stayed on the top level with a view to the ocean for 6 nights. The guy at the front desk (didnt get his name) was happy to help us check in earlier than the check in time and get a room with a good view. The room was spotless with a comfy bed and had a modern bathroom. I know many people were saying it was loud and can hear people in the hallway. However, I actually did not find this as bad as most said, I find our current hotel in San Jose Del Cabo worse with kids running down the hallway at 8 in the morning when all you want to do is sleep in. The breakfast in the morning was fresh and met our needs with salads, nachos, sandwiches, yoghurt etc. At night there were also free snacks and drinks for members and the guy from the front desk who helped us check in showed us where to sign up. A few nights we watched the sunset from our room after a long day of exploring and just wanted to lie down before dinner. We found it to be perfect distance from the hustle and bustle of town. Although, that being said we had hired a car from Cabo and without a car, it would be a good 20- 25 min walk without a car. The few downfalls were when you were hungry late at night, nothing is out your door besides the petrol station across the road but the hotdog vendors were easy to find 2 mins away via car. Also, the pool was not heated but we barely spent time in the pool and the wifi had poor connection due to technical issues during our stay. In summary, great room for a great price.

Room Tip: Top rooms were the best for noise minimisation and views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bigal121
Alan T, Guest Relations Manager at City Express La Paz, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2016

Dear Bigal 121,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your review. It is a privilege to work with the fine people at City Express La Paz , and your praise is extremely gratifying. Our aim is to provide our guests with the best service, all in our paradise along the coast. It is thanks to wonderful compliments such as these that we are inspired to find new ways to create the best experiences. We cannot wait to welcome you back for your next visit.

Sincerely

Reviewed 7 February 2016

The Good, Bad & the Ugly
My wife and I recently returned from a nine day sojourn to La Paz, BCS. As part of the pre-paid package, our housing was at the CityExpress hotel on the northern edge of the city.

First off, starting with the good - this is a very new facility, opened in 2013. Though the architecture is a bit cubist and reminiscent of Cold War East German apartment blocks, it is brightly painted in a pleasant yellow and fairly easy on the eye. The lobby and public spaces are open and airy with beautiful tile floor throughout. As in any establishment, some of the staff is far more accommodating that others, but overall easy to work with. Our room came with breakfast which is served beginning at 07:00 and if pretty similar day-to-day, is diverse on a daily menu and is generous and tasty. A coffee machine provides a variety of coffees and hot drinks while pitchers of juices are also provided. A fresh fruit selection was usually sliced melon and papaya (the papaya was always excellent) along with oranges, apples and bananas. Next was a cold-cuts tray of sliced ham, tomatoes and lettuce. Sandwich breads of various types were available for toasting or sandwich making along with a nice selection of sweet breads (pan dulce). There was always a couple of cereals available and of course milk. The hot portion of the breakfast, depending on eth day, was scrambled eggs with either ham, sausage or chorizo, refried beans, a red or green salsa and warm tortillas. All this was presented buffet style.

I have to say this might be the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. The buffet area and dining area was just immaculate and it was a rare instance if I was in any of the public areas that there wasn’t at least one housekeeper mopping or sweeping.
CityExpress has free wifi, a nice small workout area (one each elliptical trainer, stationary bike and treadmill) and a beautiful pool (not heated in January – burr!) and deck area that looks across the adjacent boatyard to the bay. Oh and one more thing, CityExpress is VERY affordable. I believe our daily rate was $55 per day.

Now, the bad. The room was small. With the queen-sized bed nearly in the middle you had perhaps three feet on one side and maybe four feet on the other side with maybe five feet at the foot of the bed. There was no closet, just a bar protruding from the wall with five hangers and one additional knob for hanging clothes. Though the room had a nice large window, it didn’t open and the only ventilation was provided by the A/C unit in the room. Twice during the stay the A/C unit had a problem and shut down. At one o’ clock in the morning this is not a good thing. In the small room the humidity and temperature climbed – it felt as though we were smothering. Reporting it to the front desk the following morning they were surprised that we didn’t call for a maintenance person to come up and fix it. That was certainly an option but getting up and dressed in the middle of the night just didn’t seem like the thing to do.
As substantial as the building looks, the rooms leave a lot to be desired as far as noise. Other guests walking the halls, other guests in their rooms and bathroom sounds were noises everyone got to share.
Again, the bathroom was not large, but very nicely appointed with tiled walls and nice fixtures. The shower had an issue too. Posted with notices urging water conservation, we found out (directions from the front desk) that if you wanted hot water for your shower you needed to run the water for 10-minutes. In fact it was actually 15 to 20 minutes before the shower delivered something a bit better than lukewarm water. The warm water slightly assuaged our guilt over our water usage.

So, now to the ugly… As I mentioned previously, this CityExpress unit is less than three years old and in some aspects quite excellent. There is one facet of the hotel, a critically important aspect that is just horrendous. I refer to the toilet seats and when I say seats I mean every seat I was able to find during our stay at CityExpress. This includes the dining area, gym, pool changing rooms and two of the rooms proper. In every instance the toilet seat was too small for the toilet. So, what does this mean? It means when one sits, the flexible plastic arms of the seat slide into the bowl. Ok for the moment, but when finished and you begin to rise, the arms spring up and painfully pinch some of most people’s more delicate thigh skin. We named these vicious bottom biters Bemis Bottom Biters. Now full disclosure requires me to admit that both of the toilet seats in my home are Bemis products and they are absolutely fine because they actually fit the toilet they are on. Whoever sold the building contractor or CityExpress on the Bemis toilet seats they have should be hailed as salesman of the year and/or be sought out and punished as torturer of the decade for all the pain and suffering his sale has caused.
For a traveler doing an overnight or two, CityExpress is fine (just beware of the toilet seats). However I would not recommend it for a multiday stay – unless you are into some challenges.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank searcher77
Iliana A, Guest Relations Manager at City Express La Paz, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2016

Dear Guest:
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you were put through. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and sharing your valuable feedback. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to assess our performance, and focus on the areas that need to be addressed ensuring we provide the highest level of service to our guests.
Let me tell you that thanks to your comments, corrective measures have been put in place to avoid reoccurrence.