All reviews master suite shrimp tempura super attentive red snapper room service hotel restaurant catch of the day tacos breakfast was included private balcony small fridge view of the bay pollo stayed one night coffee maker spent a week jacuzzi
Reviewed 28 April 2018

I'm not sure when this hotel was built, but at the time of my visit, Google maps images shows it under construction, so it has to have been in the last five years. Initial impressions were good, but when you look closer, it hasn't been taken care of as well as you'd expect. The limited interaction we had with staff was positive, but we weren't there even 24 hours. The general layout of the room was good, we stayed in their Master Suite option. Not depicted well in the pictures, the jacuzzi is actually on a second level. You get to it from inside the room using a VERY steep iron staircase. there was a surprising amount of usable space up there with a small table and a shower, and the jacuzzi of course. However, if you have any physical problems, you will struggle with getting up there. The pool lounge chairs were incredibly uncomfortable. A very thin (like, 1 inch) piece of foam laying on wood slats. Yeah, think about that for a minute. They were uncomfortable in just the brief moment I tested one, can't imagine trying to spend a day at the pool with them. you are off the beaten path with zero food options within walking distance. Our one meal, two hamburgers, was pretty spendy - around 10 u.s. dollars per burger. They were decent I guess, but not the greatest. One of the things that attracted us to the hotel was of course the pretty pictures, but also the complimentary breakfast. I had a Mexican scramble, which was decent. My wife had the "Baja Waffles", which in reality were a couple of frozen toaster waffles. Not good. we decided to go to another hotel for the rest of our stay in La Paz. DISCLAIMER: I speak broken Spanish. I don't expect people out of the U.S. to speak English for my benefit. That said, if you don't speak any Spanish at all, you will feel out of place here. The menu is only in Spanish. Our waiter didn't speak a lick of English, or at least it was less than my Spanish vocabulary. I only provide this as information for non Spanish travelers, not criticism.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brad W
Reviewed 27 April 2018

Female bartender will ignore men even when there is no one else at bar. She will not wait on you. Should a waiter get an order for you, be prepared to be over-charged by her. Seasoned waiters are helpful, friendly and speak good English. A shame that this person is the main contact point at Bar. Plenty of other places in La Paz where you can get friendly service at a reasonable price.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 8 April 2018

We didn't stay here, but as we were at the condos next door, we often went to the hotel restaurant. We had excellent service and every meal there was artfully prepared and presented. (Shrimp tempura is a meal in itself.) The setting is pleasant...nice sunset view over the pool, etc. Front desk service was friendly. They ordered taxis for us on a number of occasions. I agree that the beach is crappy (dirty with broken glass and the pipe with questionable contents going into the sea), but that doesn't affect the restaurant.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gmh747
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Rooms looking out at La Paz Bay were spacious and comfortable. Spiral staircase connecting the room above was intimidating -- but great if you have kids and they want their own space. Breakfast was delicious and the pool was awesome (except that it was too cold to use -- there during a cold spell.) Walked into town in the morning (about 20 minute) and ubered home at night. Lalie and Carlos in the front desk were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Highly recommended

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank Laura R
Reviewed 31 March 2018

No hospitality! Disgusting treatment to say the least!

It is NOT a “resort,” “beach club,” fresh, new, updated, etc. Rather, it is a tired worn shadow of a “motel” located on an inlet with no waves, a rocky, muddy “beach” positioned between two abandoned, decaying properties with what looked like a large sewer pipe system draining system leaking water into the beach/ocean at one side. Do not let the pics/description online deceive you like it did us. The drapes are not even hanging properly in the room…they are missing hooks and look like they are about to fall down. The beds and couches are so old and worn you can feel all the lumps and springs. The “Jacuzzi” on the balcony is really a shallow indoor bathtub they stuck out there. It does not stay hot long and the jets are so loud you cannot relax with them on. Everything seems as if it was bought cheap and left to rot over a very long time with no updating/replacement.

All that said, this could be a quasi-tolerable place but for the rude, inhospitable and/or indifferent employees in general. The front desk clerk doing check outs on March 29th was the worst offender.

I understand there is a give and take in hotels. To that end we did NOT make an issue/complain about any the following:

1. The room was not ready on arrival 45 min past the check in time.
2. The water was off completely for over an hour, delaying our day. We could not even flush the toilets let alone take a shower or use the Jacuzzi we paid for.
3. The phone in the room was unreliable. Most of the time we could not call the front desk or room service and had to use our own phones to go through the main switchboard.
4. We were assured we could walk to the Malecon form the hotel……well, it was possible but not by the beach nor through town without at least a 45 min. walk each way!

I could overlook these items but for $200/night one expects a lot more!

The one thing I cannot overlook is a bad attitude from hotel staff. The front desk man was among the most unpleasant I have ever encountered. Many other employees looked depressed and were indifferent at best, even at the bar.

We called the hotel and made a same day reservation for one night. We were told we’d receive an email confirmation. It was not sent. We had to call back several hours later just to ensure we had the room and understood the terms. I can overlook this and the above-enumerated items but the following is what really took the prize!

The morning of departure we were looking for the check out time in the room. It was nowhere to be found. I figured that since they served the included breakfast until noon via room service or in the restaurant we had until shortly after that. It made sense, right? I went online and found the Hotels.com listing showing a 12:30 PM check out. So, we reasonably assumed checkout was 12:30 PM……

At 12:30 PM on the dot there was a loud repetitive banging at the door. I opened it to find an exasperated, angry man standing there with a hotel nametag. He barked, “Are you checking out?!?!?!” Somewhat startled, I said we were and that it was currently 12:30 PM, the checkout time. I explained that I already delivered a bag to the car. At this he grew even more confrontational and said check out time was “NOON,” not 12:30 PM. I said not to worry as all we needed to do was get the second bag and leave in 5 min. He looked irritated and marched off, saying nothing more.

We went to the desk to check out and it was the same man. I apologized for the confusion and explained that we could not located a check out time in the room, the phone was not working to call AND that a quick online search revealed a 12:30 PM checkout time on Hotels.com. I even commented on the serving of the included room service breakfast until noon.

At this he launched into a lecture about how he was the one who made the reservation, how he noted it verbally, and then pulled out the check in papers and pointed to it there in small print buried among other information and even went further to explain that it was in the email he sent to confirm---which was never received. WOW! Was I back in first grade being scolded by my teacher! Mind you, our room was NOT even ready when we arrived it 45 min PAST check in time. Yet, this guy was visibly angry and lecturing me about an alleged 35 min. “delay” now.

I told him I was not going to argue with him as we were already checking out anyway….. I merely wanted to let him know that Hotels.com was advertising the incorrect information according to what he said. It needed to be fixed. At this he prepared the bill, slapped it down on the desk and said he was the one who made the reservation so Hotels.com information does not matter. Even when we left he said nothing….no goodbye, thank you, nothing! He just turned away all sour and put out. His treatment was unwarranted and disgusting!

All the service issues aside, even if this place had pleasant employees and the phone, consistently water available, and check-in times were without problems, I would NEVER stay here. The marking materials are a complete misrepresentation and it is overpriced for the tired excuse of a “resort” that it is. It’s a joke to even have “beach club” in the name. There were no amenities on the beach, which was really more mud than sand and open to the public where people set up loud speakers and cranked their own music near the pool.

Stay away! There are soooo many other nice options where the workers don’t treat you like an unwanted stray dog with fleas!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple