“Many beautiful places in Krabi, but Ao Nang town is not one of them.”
Review of Ao Phra Nang

and up
4 Islands Tour to Spectacular Divided Sea by Longtail or Speed Boat from Krabi
Ranked #12 of 52 things to do in Ao Nang
More attraction details
Owner description: With an exotic climate, a fantastic climbing site and a nearby beach, Ao Phra Nang is a magnet for visitors to Thailand.
Oslo, Norway
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Many beautiful places in Krabi, but Ao Nang town is not one of them.”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Forced to spend one afternoon and evening in this tourist trap. We hated every moment. Wall to wall with cheap stalls and open-air shops selling cheap tourist articles. Unfortunately trashy is the word that comes to mind. I would have loved to say something positive, but cannot about this tourist town. There are mini banks and pharmacies. (there. that was positive!) I thought that maybe since there were so many restaurants we would at least find some great Thai food, but though we were sent to the best restaurant in town, we were very disappointed. Just totally ordinary Thai food. We were so happy we chose to stay elsewhere during our vacation. One wishes that the Thai authorities would control tourist development and preserve their outstandingly beautiful coastline. But no.

2 Thank Harmony4

• Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ao Nang, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great if you like musty garbage”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Ao Nang has been said around here at tripadvisor to be not so heavily industrialised tourist wise. This is no longer true. It's nigh impossible to take a stroll along the main street without being hassled by hawkers, suits and dress makers of every kind and there is a thick smell of rotting garbage everywhere you go.

The beach front of the resort was cleaned somewhat, but the beach in general was not particularly tidy and I can't believe the local government won't spend the money necessary to keep the beach and city clean, considering how important this is for how the place is perceived by tourists in general.

The resort we stayed at was decent, (Krabi Resort) however, the people in the reception was not necessarily rude, but could have been more interested in being helpful. And there were a few things that you should expect when you pay over a hundred dollars a night for a room. For example, the Hotel Guide states that robes should be available to all guests, however, we never saw any robes for all the 8days we were staying there. Also, the hotel cleans the towels everyday, which is nice. The towels are collected every morning around 11-12. You would expect that as the towels are picked up, fresh ones are dropped off, right? Wrong! Presumably, they have one set of towels per room, and while they are being cleaned, you pretty much don't have access to your own shower. Nice!

There are quite a few activities to do around Ao Nang, but there are better places to stay between your small adventures. I recommend you look elsewhere if you want to have good memories from your Thailand trip.

1 Thank Jonas O
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice small town and relaxed feeling in Aonang Haven.”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I went to Ao Nang with a couple of friends to celebrate X'mas. This was my first time in Ao Nang but I have heard so much about it from my friends who had been there. They told me that Ao Nang is very much different to Phuket and that it is less commercialized and more laid back. I find it to be true although it was a little crowded because of the festive season.

As we were only there for 4 days we wanted to get the best out of the trip and heeded the suggestion from the owner of our hotel, Aonang Haven as to where to go. Andy, the owner recommended the Hong Island tour and half-day rock climbing course so that we would be able to enjoy one of the nicest beach in Krabi doing some kayaking and snorkeling as well as feeding our adventurous spirit with the rock climbing in Railay. He was spot on! We thoroughly enjoyed these two activities. We went with Barracuda Tour and King Climbers. Andy told us to book our tours from Indie Cafe, Restaurant & Bar next door as they offer really competitive rates and he was right!

The best part was that after a day of activities and arriving back in the hotel, we have in my opinion the best massage in Ao Nang waiting for us right at our doorstep. We spoke with Andy and he told us that this is his concept. He wanted to provide a nice accommodation here in beautiful Ao Nang and compliment it with a good place for a relaxing massage that is different from other massage shops here. Of the 4 days we were in Ao Nang, we see for ourselves the many massage shops and they are like being one the same as the other. There were masseurs in front of shops touting for an hour of massage time from potential customers. People go in and out of the shops frequently. It feels more like a market with tourist bargaining for discount on massages. I find it rather insulting because these masseurs work hard and trade their skills in massage for a wage. They get a small cut from the 200-300 baht per hour of thai/oil massage. It is real labour work and 200-300 baht is not really expensive as compared to the massage parlour we have back home. In Singapore, we wouldn't even consider going for a regular massage because they were too pricey. But here we can afford to go for massage everyday! And Aonang Haven has the best ambient to enjoy a massage. The owner really paid a lot of attention to the details from the furnishing and decor to the music being played.

Massage aside, we also like the fact that we were staying in a hotel that has only 4 rooms. We were quite surprised actually as we didn't notice it when we book our rooms. There were like only 2 rooms on each floor and the rooms are on the 3rd and 4th floor of the hotel. It's feels very cosy and even have a coffee/tea corner outside the rooms overlooking a spectacular mountain view. Andy said that with just 4 rooms, he is able to provide a more personal service to each of his guests by accommodating to their different needs. I find that true although he also said that some guests are more independent which he would leave alone unless they approached him. Haha! I would really love to come back to Ao Nang for my next vacation and bring more friends along. I am thinking a group of 8 which would nicely fill the 4 rooms here. it will be cool coming to stay in Aonang Haven and practically have the whole place to ourselves!

I am very sure I will be back in Aonang Haven this year again. :)

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Melvin O
Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good but crowded beach”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The beach itself was too crowded to be too enjoyable. It has a nice vibe though and sections of the beach are pretty good. The water is also nice and gentle for swimming with some coral at some parts too. Too many longboats and speedboats dilute this positive point though the plentiful food and beer sold on anchored longboats make it convenient.

Overall - ok to go and spend a few hours for fun but not the best beach around.

Oslo, Norway
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Only one part of the beach was good”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I was so annoyed when I saw the beach at first. Just by the busy road, you can hear tuktuks, cars, motos going all the time, what a noise! In addition lots of rubbish by the side walks, creating a very bad smell. Thin, smelly dogs walking around.
Beach is not being cleaned up too often if ever, is addition to the rubbish staying for few days after someone leaves it, all the natural rubbish (like leaves, tree needles and so on) is thereIt is a surprise really because the beach would be much nicer if it was clean!!!
At the very far corner a very nice small beach which gives the total of average to the beach as a whole. I was very pleased with that little corner by the national park, some shade at last, place to hang the hammock, very few people. Relax.