New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Ao Nang
melbourne
“meh.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

To keep this short and sweet.

Holidaying with my girlfriend, arrived at reception to be greeted with a frown and a glassy stare.. as if I was about to request some change for a bus and a free meal.

The room was not too bad to look at, although it smelt as if someone had tarnished the air with battery acid.

Our view from our room was a great pool view room.... save the fact we paid for a sea view room led to more disappointment.

The breakfast was dismal.. and it didn't last long, so you have to be quick.

The bloody power went out for 18 hours in our wing, including the water. We were not contacted and no one even came to see if we were still alive... Australian OHS would have had a field day with this.. but i guess that's part of Thailand's relaxed ways.

On contrary to the above, some of the staff were very nice and friendly, the hotel is in a great location which makes it very easy to find your way home when inebriated, however the power outage compounded this challenge.

All in all, average.

Room Tip: Book a pool view room facing the main pool (facing the big rock cliff thing) as paying the extra cas...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travellinglightbulb
Aonangvillareso... K, Resident Manager at Aonang Villa Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Travellinglightbulb

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. I thank you for your compliments and your very valuable feedback to continue to improve our resort. Your positive thinking and kind understanding are greatly appreciated and I have shared your review with my team.

I have also taken note on the points mentioned from the front office services the issues raised have been immediately addressed with our team to prevent the future reoccurrence.

Regarding the room’s odor, it was rare to have this kind of odor inside the room, however, it had been brought to our engineering team, and identified the problem. The problem has been fixed and the room has recovered to normal condition.

Please accept our sincere apologizes regarding of the inconveniences you and your girlfriend have experienced of power off in the middle from 3 am until 10 am, at the time we faced with the electric issued which required an outside expert to assist. Unfortunately, we failed to communicate to you and to suggest a room move to other building.

Again, my apology and thank you for your comment and truly hope that we will be given another chance for you to experience a truly and rightful pleasant stay with us again. Please reach out to me directly that I can assist you in the future.

Warm regards,

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I'm a bit flabbergasted to read all the positive reviews on this hotel of late. My partner and I just came back from a 6 night stay at AoNang Villa Resort. It started badly, got progressively better but then ended in disaster..

How is no one not mentioning the power outage that occurred for an ENTIRE night in one of the wings? Leaving us to sleep in hot, mosquito-infested rooms until we finally walked up to reception at 4am and demanded another room, only to find out that they were happily giving out keys to other rooms with electricity without even notifying anyone? WTF?

Here are my pros and cons, and run down of events:

PROS:

- The location is fantastic. If you want to be right near the action in Aonang this is the place to be. It is also right near the longtail boat docking area which is very handy. I've read other reviews complaining about the noise from the longtail boats, but I didn't hear a thing, so no problems there.
- The pools are fantastic. If you're a pool person you'll love this place. None of the pools were ever overcrowded (however we did go in low season).
- Lovely housekeeping staff. They always went out of their way to say hello and to ask us how we were. I'd also like to mention that the barkeeper in the beachside pool was also very lovely.
- Lovely Hotel Manager. Our in-room safe wasn't working and she came up and fixed it for us. She was very nice and gracious about the whole incident.

CONS:
- Staff seem unfriendly and disinterested. Upon check in the staff member didn't smile at all and even looked bothered by our arrival. A lot of the staff didn't even acknowledge our existence, even when we said hello to them in Thai. There was one particular lady at Reception who was absolutely awful to us every time we went to collect our keys. It made us feel incredibly unwelcome within the first few days and when she wasn't working we were actually relived!
- Our room stank! Not sure why and can't remember what is smelt like thank god. But it was terrible.
- Breakfast wasn't very enjoyable, we actually stopped going after the 2nd day as we found the food bland. For some reason they put the butter in little lumps in icy cold water, so you can't actually spread it on your bread because it's so hard! Staff stopped restocking items (i.e. tomato, ham, etc) about 30 minutes before breakfast ends so if you don't get in by 9.30am you might miss out!
- Beds are incredibly hard. However this can be fixed by asking housekeeping to add an extra mattress on your bed. We did this and were very appreciative.
- On our first night there was a "Hawaiian Party" being held in the conference centre which was in the open area near all the Seaview Rooms. The music and the guests were quite loud and this didn't stop until 11pm. We found this quite rude as they didn't seem to consider that guests might be sleeping at this time.
- On our first night there was no hot water in the shower. We called Reception who said they would send someone up. After 15 minutes no one came. We tried Reception again, and this time a repair man came up. The man said he would get back to us in 15 minutes but never did. We were jetlagged and tired so cold shower for us that night. Awful service.
- Paper thin walls. After a disastrous first night, I was woken up at 6am by someone watching TV in the room next door. Throughout our stay we could hear people talking and watching TV in the rooms around us.
- We paid for a Seaview room however I think they should consider renaming this "TREEview room" because all we could see was trees and a tiny bit of sand. I can't believe they get away with this. When I went down to Reception to ask if we could actually get a "sea" view room (I was polite but firm), the girl at Reception started laughing and talking in Thai to one of the other girls who then started giggling. I flat out asked, "What is so funny?". To which one of the girls looked deeply embarrassed and said, "Oh we laughing at other guests". I don't know what was worse - the fact that they were laughing at me or at other guests?! Very rude! (Note: They offered us another room which was supposedly the "Grand" Seaview Room however this room was even worse. The room looked old and tired - it even still had a CRT TV!)
- Power failure. On our last night (we were due to checkout at 9am the next day) the power started flickering on and off. At about 11pm (?) it went off completely. There was no power, no wifi, not hot water - nothing. We called Reception and they advised that our whole wing was down, and that it would be fixed in about 10 minutes. 30 minutes later we called Reception and they said it would be fixed within an hour. An hour later my boyfriend went down to Reception and they said it would not be working until tomorrow and that there was nothing they could do. This was extremely frustrating but we did the best we could do, and tried to get some sleep in our dark, non-air-conditioned room. However at 4am, we'd had enough. We were being bitten by mosquitoes (who had gotten in when we had opened the door to the room), it was extremely hot and we were constantly hearing other guests slamming their doors. At 4am my partner walked down to Reception where he saw about 10 keys lined up on the desk for other rooms. He asked the man at Reception if we could have another room as we could not sleep and he said, "Sure" and handed him one of the available keys. We were absolutely FUMING that we were not told about this earlier. Why would you not tell us that you had rooms available at midnight when you first knew that the power wouldn't come back on - instead of waiting for us to come down at 4am, tired and frustrated?? Why would you not communicate this to your guests? We were due to leave at 9am the next day so all my bags were packed, I had to walk around the hotel lobby in my dressing gown which was absolutely HUMILIATING. There were no lights in the stairwell and I actually tripped (in my tired haze) and nearly broke my neck! We then had to move all of our things to our new room which - thank god - had air-conditioning but only 2 single beds. Great. I can't even lie next to my partner. We had approximately 2 - 3 hours sleep before having to get up, checkout and catch our plane. When we checked out in the morning, there was absolutely NO APOLOGIES whatsoever from ANY of the hotel staff. We asked what had happened and no one was able to give us an answer. MY partner and I were absolutely disgusted by this incident. All we wanted was an apology or an "I'm sorry this happened" but we received nothing.

Absolutely disgusted. I emailed the Hotel Manager for a refund for the last night and still haven't had a response.

Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: If choosing a seaview room (or as I call it, "tree" view) try and get a room as high up as...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mooki24
Dear mooki24

Referring to your comment posted on 27 May 2012, we are really sorry to read about your unpleasant experience at Aonang Villa Resort. Our staffs normally willing to do extra step to satisfy our guests and it is to our surprise they have failed to meet your expectation. Our resort’s service is very crucial to us, we do appreciate you have brought up these issues in the Trip Advisor, we will certainly take your input and do a thorough investigation to prevent the recurrence of these problems again.

Referring to your comment regarding of the inconveniences you and your party have experienced during your stay at our resort. Please accept my sincere apologizes for all the inconveniences caused. The challenges we faced with the electric required an outside expert to assist us. Unfortunately, we failed to communicate properly to you and to suggest a room move.

Regarding of your arrival experience, we strive to provide a warm and efficient check-in during which all relevant information about our resort are shared with the guest. I apologize that we have not accomplished this goal during your arrival. Also, I regret that you have not been fully satisfied with your room and Television, your experience with our front office team. I totally agree that we should have handled this situation differently.

Regarding the room’s odor, it had been brought to our engineering team attention soon after you have moved to the new room. It was rare to have this kind of masking odor inside the room; our engineering team has made a thorough investigation and identified the problem. The problem has been fixed and the room has recovered to normal condition.

Please be assured that the issues raised have been immediately addressed with our team to prevent the future reoccurrence.

I have also taken note on your comments regarding the quality of food and butter during breakfast, and have already shared your comments with the culinary team and make the necessary improvement where required.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay with us. It is fantastic to hear that you liked our hotel location and the pools. However, regret that we have not been able to meet all your expectations.

We are extremely appreciative for reviews finding them the most helpful source to better cater to our guests. After all, there is always room for improvement no matter what. We thank you for your feedback and truly hope that we will be given another chance to provide you a truly and rightful pleasant stay with us again.

Please reach out to me in the future as I would like to ensure that a more than accommodating stay be promised.

With kind regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Good location coz it just 2mins away from Ao Nang beach, friendly staff, nice room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

Hotel is good not luxury but comfortable. Room is clean with a lot of space. The hotel is big with many rooms and located in city center of Ao Nang beach. You can walk to night market + 7/11 nearby. BF is ok with ABF style and some Thai food. I stay here 2 nights for annual seminar with company so didn't really know about the price but would not expensive.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Owniski

I truly appreciate you have made the effort to write and post this wonderful review.

Our resort location is locate right in the city of Aonang shopping area, and convenience for those guest who wishes to visit island of krabi for a short trip. I am happy to learn that your holiday experience at our resort remains so vivid in your memory.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back again for another vacation.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I spent allot of time looking for accommodation in Ao Nang. This hotel stood out as I went through blogs and other peoples advice. The location of this resort is right on the beach and next the the main walk with shops and restaurants. The beach in Ao Nang is nothing special, but it is possible to book a day trip to the local islands, or hop onto a long tail boat to Railay beach to have a beach day. Again location, convenience and comfort is the most important for me and this hotel has it.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the main road as possible as it may get noisy at night along the road.
1 Thank Novaftse
Dear Novaftse

Thank you for having stay with us and the valuable feedback. Your positive remarks for our resort and its locations are greatly appreciated. It is always a pleasure to read the kind comments.

I hope we would have the chance to welcome you back in the future when you are planning your next trip to Krabi.

Warm Regards,