All reviews chef henry gregory family skill level perfect waves intimate knowledge three meals a day special week poor country great company costa rica dairy queens fresh fish hour drive from managua central america our entire trip reef break young guy
Reviewed 4 July 2017

My friend and I recently stayed for a week at Two Brothers in late June 2017. From the moment we arrived at the airport in Nicaragua till the moment we left, everything was taken care of. This truly is one of the best all inclusive surfing vacations I have ever been apart of. That comes a lot from me as I take several of these every year. This one for sure is one that will repeated.

The Resort is amazing. Set atop one of the biggest hilltops in the Popoyo area, you have a 360 view in all directions. There are four private villas that lead up the hill. Each has its own unique vibe and all have AC. Our villa was cleaned daily (thank you Maria!) and was more than we could have asked for. Before you get to the top of the hill is the pool area which has incredible views and hammocks to relax. What a great way to cool off after surfing your brains out all day!

The food was incredible. Chef Henry truly has it dialed and really is a culinary expert. We feasted 3 meals per day all based upon our surfing schedule. These were 3 full meals too all prepared just in time. We had everything including local dishes, fresh fish tacos, ceviche, steak, lasagna, OMG everything was spot on. I also liked how all the meals were in the main residence which the Gregory's open to all their guests. Coffee was ready early in the morning every day as well.

The surfing was epic and with Marsh and Auggie as your guides you are guaranteed to score no matter what your surfing level is. They will put you on the right waves that suit your skills. There really is every type of wave in this region including beach breaks, point breaks, reef breaks, and cobblestone A frames. With year round offshore winds and a huge swell window, you will not be disappointed. Two bros can also arrange to have private photo shoots for a session or the whole day which I highly encourage. Surfing with Marsh and Auggie is an experience in itself. They both charge but are forever stoked even on days they consider 3 out of 10! We did a mix of boat and land access to all the breaks. Again, they will know where you want to be so let them call the shots! There is also other activities should surfing not be your thing. The fishing is amazing and Two bros can also set up yoga daily.

I have read some of the other reviews and don't agree with any of the negatives. Anyone who has ever been to Central America or any 3rd world country should know what to expect with some everyday things you take for granted at home. I really like how they operate in one with nature with as minimal impact as possible on the surrounding environment.

Hanging out and talking with Robert is also an experience in itself. He has incredible stories and a great passion for life. Seeing the legacy he has created for his sons and his family is inspiring to say the least.

All in all, this was a A+ trip. I am already plotting my next trip back except this time I will be bringing my wife and kids (ages 7 and 4). Yes, this place is family friendly too!

Thanks Two Bros (Marsh, Auggie, Henry, Tori, Maria, Robert and Susan) for everything. I had such an incredible experience!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2017

My wife and I visited in late may\early June. While this is the beginning of the rainy season, we only saw about 3 minutes of rain, which the locals celebrated due to the long time drought. The waves were beyond consistent and the waves are offshore all day every day, yielding excellent conditions. The variety of breaks for every skill level make this an ideal surf vacation.

As you will no doubt come across other places to stay in the Popoyo region, I would like to enthusiastically recommend and encourage selecting Two Brothers. Should you visit, it will become clear very soon that you are in capable hands that will keep you safe and secure while ensuring you have a good time and challenge yourself. I dont mean to alarm those making a decision, but this is a remote location and especially the first timers should strongly consider staying with an experienced family who has been living here for a long time.

Mr Gregory, Marsh, Auggie, Tory, and the entire team at Two Brothers: Thanks very much for the special week. Andreia and I look forward to seeing you again and sincerely appreciate your hospitality!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2017

My review is coming in a few days late (decompressing after a month long excursion overseas) and I signed up for Trip Advisor specifically to review Two Brothers.

Prior to writing my review I read through all the previous reviews, both good and bad so that I could confirm and or dispel the positives and negatives of this place.

First thing that you should know (if you don't already) is that as nice as the property is, it is remote. The family is happy to try and accommodate you as much as they can, but if you come here, be prepared to SURF. Seriously. Every. Day. The schedule is as follows (most of the time): wake up > surf > breakfast > surf > lunch > surf > dinner and then knock out for sleep. Next day: repeat.

Keep in mind you will be there with other couples or groups that also have needs and expectations. They pay as much as you for their stay so be prepared to also accommodate yourself and not be selfish. This vacation works best and is most pleasurable if you are easy going and relax and roll with the communal flow. They WILL take you to some of the best spots you have ever surfed. There are ancillary activities as well to enjoy. Massage, Yoga, Mag Rock bar etc.

I saw complaints people posted previously about hot water not being available. I too though this was the case, however it is as simple as flipping a switch outside your shower. I went a few days with room temp showers as I didn't want to be *that* guy on the trip who complains excessively. It was my fault for waiting to bring it up. Their hot water works. Be sure to ask them about it. They live practically off-grid and when you see the way electricity is delivered to such remote areas, you'll realize they just leave the switch in the off position as circuit breakers can malfunction and the family lives very consciously about waste of water, food, and energy. This isn't a bad thing. In fact, you can take some of that ideology home with you and think about how to live a less wasteful life when you get back home.

About the guides:

Marsh is a young guy full of energy and passionate about surfing. It is in the marrow of his bones. He is very talented on the waves and has command and respect of the locals so you don't have to worry about anyone messing with you. You will get priority placement and waves in the lineup with him. He is very delightful and entertaining.

Auggie is the younger of the two brothers by a few years. He is the yang to Marshs' yin. By that I mean, Auggie is quiet compared to the colorful energy of Marsh. Auggie is very pleasant and mature for his age. He is a talented fisherman and surfer. He, like Marsh is enjoyable and pushes you to new limits out in the water.

Tory (to my understanding) is relatively new to the business. She brings some feminine energy to the experience that is a great addition to Two Brothers.

The owner is great. Your interaction with him will be somewhat limited compared to the three mentioned above. The family has more than one business to run and he gets busy. However, 100% of my experiences with him were positive.

I'd recommend this place to anyone. I will say that Nicaragua is a very poor country. The family pays their successes forward by hiring locals and giving them a chance to earn a living and shares their fresh fish catches with the locals as well who aren't as fortunate. The poverty of the country makes you want to cry, but also VERY thankful for what you have.

When you go to Two Brothers, really contemplate where your at and how much you have compared to those that live there. Check your expectations and entitlements. Don't be a jerk out in the water or at the house. If you relax and let go, you'll only enjoy it more.

Oh, and bring a beach towel.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2017

My wife and I just got back from Two Brothers and we can't wait to go back. We recently took up surfing and decided to take a surf vacation for our four year wedding anniversary. The property is gorgeous with very cool architecture, the food was amazing, and the surfing cannot be topped. Marsh and Tori were great hosts and guides. They really created an unforgettable experience for us. After a day of surfing, fishing, amazing food, and great company, you can't help but have the best sleep of your life. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Surfing with Marsh and Robert is a rare life treat that shouldn't be missed.
These folks are serious OG's in Nicaragua, and in turn they have their operation completely wired.
The staff, the food, the accommodations, trucks and boat are all amazing. We surfed mind-melting waves for our entire trip.
Seems silly to go anywhere else if you are hungry for world class waves.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
TwoBrothers, Owner at Two Brothers Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2017

Love the photos so much! Thanks so much for including then with your very kind and generous words and we are so glad you chose to stay at Two Brothers!