“Cheshire Disappointment”

The Lymm Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lymm
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was a 4 day break organised through Just Go Holidays in conjunction with the National Trust. It is advertised in the Just Go brochure as offering "elegant en suite rooms"!! Ho! Ho! someone
from Just Go holidays obviously has very little idea of what a guest expects in accommodation standards. En suite they may be (just) but elegant they are NOT.
I will try and be a bit more definitive regarding my experience at the Hotel so that anyone who reads this will know what to expect.
Arrival and check in was swift and efficient. We were a coach party of 12 and we were all
accommodated in the Annex building. We walked into our room to be greeted with a dark and depressing atmosphere. The view out of the only window looked onto a brick wall topped by a large grassy bank. The furniture was of a very dark wood which would have been in keeping in the early 70's. It was also very cold. I requested reception for a room change which they sorted out immediately without any fuss - fine. Our freshly allocated room (ground floor) was a little better , the furniture being in a lighter finish but again 1970's MFI special! The view out of the window was a little better (it looked out on to the car park) but unfortunately the window could not be locked as the window catch was missing!! Anyone could have entered my room through this window. Now on to the star feature the "elegant en suite". Oh dear oh dear - toilet roll holder hanging off the wall, toilet seat chipped and dirty, sealant around the bath must have been applied by some 'odd job bod' who wanted to earn a couple of quid on the side. Every single wall panel had holes where obviously something had been fitted in years gone by and had either dropped off or had been removed - in fact a defunct wall bracket over the bath (complete with the usual mould) stared at you every time you entered the room! The overall decor was tired and depressing and was in desperate need of a refurb. Everything was brown and the bathroom suite was 'avocado green' (1970's!) On the plus side the bed was very comfortable although I declined to look underneath to see what hidden treasures were there. The room was not of a clean standard that you would expect in todays leisure industry and it was obvous that it only received a cursory make up on a daily basis.
The dining room was adequate as was the service but it was obvious that certain items like butter, toast coffee was 'on ration' as we constantly had to request the staff for further supplies.
The food was very good and tasty and this was the saving grace for this hotel, however we constantly had to request for basic items (soup spoons, tea spoons milk etc etc). Instead of the waiting staff hanging round the door to the kitchen they should have ensured that we were looked after correctly.
The bar area was adequate but on two of the nights that we were there wedding parties were being held and they took over the bar area. There was no room for any of our party to sit and have a drink. Once you had your meal the only thing you could do was retire to your 'elegant en-suite room'!
I raised these points with the manager 'Philip' and all he could say was well we are only a three star hotel!! Come on Philip, we are talking basics here please don't try and 'fob us off' and insult our intelligence with such remarks. Please don your managers hat and lead and direct your staff in a more positive way and talk to your group directors and have some financial investment in updating your tired and worn out hotel. In this competitive market there are plenty of 3 star hotels around and even B&B's that would leave your accommodation in the dark. After all we are talking McDonalds Group here and not some cheap back street hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WozNotts

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Firstly, I would like to say that this review in no way relates to the staff of the hotel, who were to a person friendly, helpful, efficient and attentive. They probably earned the two stars I gave.

The room in this old style property was tired, both in decor and maintenance, with barely enough room to swing a cat and an unfortunately placed step between the entrance passageway and the main bedroom, which rather than sticking A4 signs up to warn of its presence, may be better if they did something to remove the problem.

The straw tha broke the camels back this time was the breakfast. Ys it is a big selection of fresh fruit, cereals, toast, cold meats, cheese and hot options (which attach a premium) but £15 is a ridiculously high rate for this, and when I was charged this for a coffee, a bowl of cereal and a small bowl of fruit salad, my chin almost hit the floor.

I think this place has pretentions of grandeur, and if that is the case, there's a lot of hard work needs doing.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TheEggChaser
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I've stay here several times on business, three times in the main building and once in the modern wing. All the rooms I've had have been rather more 'apricot / beige' than I would choose myself, and the bathrooms are rather late 70s, but despite being ready for a revamp, everything has been very comfortable, and exceptionally clean, and with all the extras you would expect from a high quality establishment (tea, coffee, fresh milk, room service, ironing facilities etc). Add to that food and service that excels, really above and beyond, and a lovely location (perfect for a run / walk along the canal) and I'd be amazed if you could find something that matched up for the same price. If given a choice I'd rather be in the main building, eccentric and with character than the rather soulless wing lacks, but still a lovely place, a real find, I'll definitely be back!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Had my 40+10 birthday party here last night - can't commend the staff and service highly enough! Very attentive and helpful both in organising the party and on the night. In particular Sylvia the events co-ordinator - excellent, pleasant, efficient & accomodating from start to finish. Well done to a good staff team, including Michael the Duty Manager who supported us on the night. Food was very good, bar prices reasonable for a hotel, environment very cosy and personable - just what we wanted. Bedrooms - nice enough although some areas are a little 'tired' but this does not detract from the overall very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building appear a little better?
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We held our wedding here on April 27th 2012, I cant thank the staff enough they made our wedding so special, the wedding breakfast meal was delicious the food was hot and the wine kept flowing, the evening buffet food was fantastic as well, all my guests complimented the food and hotel, the hotel did everything i had asked for and more and made sure my day and evening rooms looked amazing, special thanks to Silvia and Michael but all the staff were so polite and helpful, the DJ who was part of our wedding package was great and had my guests dancing away all night. everything was just perfect thank you all so much, I would definitely recommend having your wedding here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymm
1.1 km away
4.8 km away
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
#9 of 22 in Warrington

Been to The Lymm Hotel? Share your experiences!