“Quaint and simple cafe.”
Review of The Lord's Cafe

The Lord's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Quick Bites in Tanah Rata
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 1 January 2021

I came here with my family in 2020 after interstate travel was allowed again. We came at 10.02am, since the place opened at 10am. We used to come here around 10 years ago and this was our first time in many years.

Stepping into the restaurant after heading up a few flights of stairs, an old-timey nostalgic decorated place greeted us. Reminded me of grandparents' places with rattan chairs, huge windows with great lighting and old books in wooden shelves. The system here is self-service, where you have to write your order on a piece of paper with the table number on it and send it to the counter and make payment then and there.

We ordered scones, the chicken pie, apple pie, hash browns and egg sandwich. For drinks we had hot cocoa and tea. Maybe we are just used to simple food and appreciate the effort put in by the staff, which is why I think the bad reviews are exaggerated. The scones were okay, crumbly compared to some I had tried before and served with butter, cream and jam. The chicken pie was average, the hash brown had a twist to it as it wasn't the usual supermarket frozen type I was expecting. This one seemed to be homemade. The egg sandwich is kind of like what I would throw together at home before heading out the door - very simple but tastes like home. Hot cocoa was pretty rich in my opinion.

The prices are super cheap, ranging between RM2 - RM5 for the items on the menu. Overall, what you get is what you paid for. We had no complaints as we have eaten far worse food than this. The decor is acceptable and considered different from other restaurants nowadays. If you are picky about where you eat your food and prefer a modern, super clean and new place, this is not for you. The place could use some regular upkeep though. Overall it felt like Malaysian childhood days kinda atmosphere, where nothing is fancy and you made do with what you have, and was happy with it.

I was looking forward to ordering the spaghetti here as I had it years ago when I was a child. There used to be a Caucasian man who worked here but not sure if he still is anymore. Unfortunately the spaghetti was taken off the menu but I was content with what we had for breakfast that day.

Date of visit: December 2020
2  Thank rachelavery13
Write a reviewReviews (467)

Reviewed 31 December 2020 via mobile

What this place has going for it ate the prices. They aren’t as inflated as other places. The scones were fine. They had whipped cream, butter and jam with them.

I think perhaps a few years ago it was quite quaint and nice. Now the place seems dated and what once was seen as charming now seems like it’s a bit uncared for. We waited on the steps for about 20 minutes before being let in. Once in, everything is self-service. I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to restore the charm and friendliness. But for now, its not bad, just not great.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 20 September 2020

Im not crazy over scones so i will not comment on them. Tried the chicken pie - dry and tasteless. Served with just the pie, no side dishes or any effort to even serve them with gravy. Dont see the fuss and all the type.

Reviewed 19 September 2020 via mobile

The overall experience starting from being seated by a rude hostess, to the tacky decor, to the most uncomfortable chairs, to the food quality and service was all poor.
I went to this place after reading reviews that talked about the great scones. The scones are cheap but so is the taste which matches the price. The scones were dense and fell apart and even the jam to accompany it was not natural but full of preservatives.
The egg sandwich had 2 blobs of egg which was held together with some wilted lettuce and cucumber.
The hash browns were more of a mash brown and tasteless.

If you're looking for a place where you can pay an average of RM 3 for a dish but no flavour and taste ..then this is the place for you. You pay for what you get!!

I had to write this review so that people would not waste their precious time standing in a long line up for 30-45mins for such a bad experience.

2  Thank MegzTravel
Reviewed 11 September 2020 via mobile

Scones were delicious and reasonably priced. However, the fierce and not so friendly waitresses made us felt like we were in school.

3  Thank kyepinn