“Live this place”

Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Saltford
Price range: USD 13 - USD 26
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Jolly Sailor pub is located on Kelston Lock, with views of the Mendip hills just 300 yards from the cycle track connecting Bath to Bristol. Complimenting our 17th century building the pub has two open fires in the bar area and offers classical pub meals with an extensive 'Specials Board'. We offer a range of Real Ale's, international lagers, local ciders and hand picked wines. We run festivals and BBQ days in the summer months for all ages to enjoy. Our Senior Citizens menu runs weekday lunchtimes and we serve food all day, every day.
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Absolutely love coming here. The location is amazing especially when it's summer and the sun is shining. The staff are great. The prices are reasonable and the pints are good. It will get very busy in the summer so come early if you want a table outside. I look forward to my next visit at the weekend

2  Thank Sambo87xx
JollySailor_Saltford, Owner at The Jolly Sailor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you very much Sambo for your feedback.

Thanks for giving us 4 stars.

Thanks for liking our pub, the drinks we serve and our service.

We look forward to seeing you on the weekend.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Came here for Sunday lunch weather was fantastic managed to find a table in the shade . Ordered drinks and lunch it was very busy didn't have to wait to long for are food which was fantastic . Lovely atmosphere watching the lock gates being opened for the Channel boats to come through . Mum really enjoyed her lunch and scenery we will certainly be back for another lunch very soon

1  Thank sally28652
JollySailor_Saltford, Owner at The Jolly Sailor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you very much Sally for your feedback.

I am glad you and your mum had a great time here at Jolly Sailor Saltford.

Thanks for giving us 5 stars.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

First visit in a few decades. The 'Jolly Sailor' is a victim of its fail/safe location...no need to pull out the stops because people will always come down here for the beautiful river/lockside location...... Too bad because this could be cosmic....instead it's generic ..dreadful conservatory mars the front elevation.... Food is ok but so it is at your average Wetherspoons .... Service was polite but a little clueless ..("Oh ..you need to pick up your own cutlery and condiments "...great ..just like in a Morrisons cafe then..but at 3 times the price?!?!).. tables were grubby . Looks as if some unimaginative pub chain has taken this on...so who cares ...but it's a bit of a drive down there so maybe you should care...it doesn't have to be classy .... Think of legendary down-market joints like the 'Square and Compass' in Dorset....or spend a bit on making it nice (and on staff development) and you could be in the Thames at Pangbourne ! And for goodness sake pull down that awful conservatory !!!!!!

2  Thank Jonathan F
JollySailor_Saltford, Owner at The Jolly Sailor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Hello Jonathan.

That was a beautiful write-up.

I think you will do excellent if you think about a career in film critic write-ups.

As I always say, every feedback is very important for us. So, I will work on some points you have raised here about our pub.

On a busy day we do ask our customers to pick the cutleries and condiments. I am sorry you felt that was wrong on our part. If it's not busy we do provide table service.

Well, all the food that we serve is freshly prepared. Once again I am sorry you did not like it.

The conservatory has been part of Jolly Sailor for many years. It becomes extremely important in the winter months where in families enjoy Birthday parties and get togethers. So, I am afraid to say, the conservatory will remain as it is.

Our staff are young boys and girls from local families from our community who are very well brought up, well mannered, educated and hard working.

Jolly Sailor gives these youngsters space to learn, improve and nurture their customers facing skills which will help them move forward in their life.

We are not part of any chain. It's a family run business.

The pub and the benches/tables are thoroughly cleaned every morning and evening. However, during summer months, when the pub is frequented by many people tables do get grubby. We still try hard to provide the best service.

I can see you did not have good experience here at our pub. We are always trying to improve evreyday.

We look forward to seeing you again and hope you will like it next time.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

my husband ordered the tuna salad which at £12.50 I would have expected to have a fresh tuna steak, but it was basically a canned tuna and sweetcorn sandwich filler on wilted lettuce leaves... not impressed at all!

Hello.

I can see you did not have good experience here at our pub recently.

We are always trying to improve our food and service.

So, every feedback is very important for us. I have passed on your feedback to our chefs. Customer satisfaction is our utmost priority. We are here because of our valuable customers like you.

We look forward to seeing you again and hope you will like it next time.

Reviewed 4 July 2018

My wife and I had a great evening at the Jolly Sailor. We have not been there for a few years, so travelled over from Chepstow and were not disappointed. My wife highly rated the Pimms and I was driving so stuck to soft drinks. We each both indulged in a curry, hers a Korma and mine a Jalfrezi and were not disappointed. They were both delicious and filling.. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was also a lovely mixture of families, couples and young mixed groups all enjoying themselves. There was even a couple of lads on guitar and a girl singing on the island next to the pub. All in all it was a lovely evening..

1  Thank Max_gain

Thank you very much Max for your valuable feedback.

Thanks for giving us 5 stars.

I am glad you liked our pub, the food and the service.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Thanks & Regards,