See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 March 2017

Peucang Island located in Ujung Kulon, we can have a trip visiting Taman Nasional Ujung Kulon too (if your trip package included with trip to Taman Nasional Ujung Kulon) the Peucang Island have a several snorkling spot with a clear enough sea view, you can have a tracking in Peucang Island too. The Beach is beautiful, clear sand and also clear water. Watch out because there are many boar and also monkey lives near the cottage and at the beach

Date of stay: April 2016
2  Thank Nedho
Reviewed 15 October 2016

We stayed at this resort based on the reviews I had read here on Tripadvisor but I wouldn't have taken my children there if someone had written a more detailed review of this place. The resort is sadly aging without any care or maintenance effort from the operators. The first room we were assigned to had moldy walls, moldy pillows, dirty sheets from stuff coming from the open ceiling, which was broken, bugs, broken fan, broken toilet, broken shower, broken faucet etc etc etc.

I was so shocked that I raised my concerns to the staff and they were a little slow to respond but helpful. They allowed me to look into other rooms to find a more suitable one. I saw similar conditions in other rooms at the same building / house (the one closer to the forest). Then they took me to the building closest to the restaurant. That one is in much better condition (still it had a leak in the sink that kept my husband awake for part of the night). With only the problem of a toilet and a shower that didn't work and maybe dirty towels and sheets plus some less concerning signs of an aging structure. Oddly enough we saw two other groups being put in rooms in the house in horrible conditions while we were the only guests in the better house...the other guests stayed in those terrible rooms but fled early in the morning.

If I knew what I know now, I would have visited the island for the day only. The nature offerings are simply beautiful. We enjoyed seeing / interacting with the animals and walking through the rainforest, and the beach is gorgeous but the resort is in unacceptable conditions and it's very expensive.

The staff were nice and friendly and made the best effort to feed us good meals and make us feel comfortable. I also notice how it could be hard to clean those rooms since electricity is limited to a few hours a day and the rooms are dark day or night but beyond cleaning the structure is falling apart.

Again, if I had my choice I would ask my tour guide to find me a way out of there before dawn.

Room tip: get a room in the house next to the restaurant if you are adventurous enough to stay there
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

Given Cox and Kings exaggerated claims for the last hotel we had stayed at in Indonesia, their description of the Peucang Island Eco Resort as ' basic and clean' could have been a very very bad omen. And if you accept no hot water, no electricity during the day and no working toilet as basic then... it's basic. But the sheets were clean, the bed comfortable and the staff wonderful.

The rooms are organised into bungalows around a central grassy area inhabited by native dear, a couple of pigs and a community of monkeys. The latter will steal anything from your hand if you let them and if you forget to close your bungalow door they will trash your room.

The bedrooms open on too a large common seating area with high ceilings with vents allowing the warm air to escape. The bedrooms share the same tall structure with vents for the hot air to escape.... and mosquitoes to enter! There is no aircon but a small floor fan. I would strongly suggest taking copious supplies of repellant and covering ones self on regular occasions especially at night.

There is a restaurant serving three basic meals a day. We had locally caught fish, squid, veg and rice. The staff throughout the resort were very friendly and v helpful.

So why come to the Resort. Firstly, it's extremely peaceful/tranquil. That said at certain times of the year the area attracts vast numbers of migratory birds. A twitchers delight. During May through Sept the high season will mean the Resort is often full. In late September, not at all full. Other reasons include a guided ranger tour of the nearby river in an carved wooden canoe. Watch out for crocodiles, hornbills ( the sound their wings make is great ), flying fish and a selection of snakes, specifically pythons.

From the camp take a walk into the adjacent jungle to the local beach with spectacular views.

If you hope to see the rare Javan Rhino... the probability of spotting one is about 5% according to the guides.

At weekends the Resort attracts large numbers of locals ( which includes those traveling from Jakarta - a minimum 6 hours trek) and then when full the Resort accommodates nearly 70 people and could be quite noisy.

The Resort is within one of the National Parks. The history of the park dates back to the explosion of Krakatoa in 1883 when the entire island and its small fishing population was destroyed. The area was not repopulated and accordingly the jungle reclaimed what is naturally it's to reclaim. Given how much of Indonesia is subject to aggressive deforestation and destruction of the habitat of indigenous people and animals it's nice to see nature thriving.

Cox and Kings should be more honest in the descriptions.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

Nice and very beautiful island i will vome back soon. The food that they serve is good, the staff also helpfull..... the room is standart but what i need is explore the island.

We traveling from jakarta to a small village call sumur and from there we rent a traditional wood boat only for 4million cost. It takes 2.5 half sailing by boat and we enjoy all the beaty of nature. And finaly we arrived at peucang island the sand is so clean and white...... i enjoy our stay in that beautiful island.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2015

Ujung Kulon will take your breath away. This is pretty much the only accommodation available on the region. It is quite far from a typical resort you would imagine but it does the job - very basic with western toilet. The resort itself could benefit from a little renovation because it is a bit worn down. But who cares - you are only using the resort to sleep and quickly shower. The electricity is only turned on from 6 PM to 8 AM so make the best out of it especially for your electronics.

The immaculate part of the stay is the staff. I'd say they're all really lovely, charming and helpful as well as cheerful. They would push to an extent to ensure that your stay is really well. I would mark this place for average if not for the staff's kindliness. Food is great! Ask for them for a fishing line during one of your excursions to get fresh fish grilled/fried for dinner!

Date of stay: February 2015