“A Scottish beautiful countryside hotel, a home.. away from home”

Steadings at the Grouse & Trout
Ranked #1 of 1 Flichity B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2015

The Steadings, I wouldn't call it a hotel, but more like a home, away from home. A super friendly, warm and homely feel like countryside hotel at Inverness- Loch Ness. The hotel is made like a country house, which has 9 bedrooms, a cozy bar, dining room and a beautiful lounge area, and of course to add to all this you are warmly welcomed by the resident hosts David and Mary Allen.
This hotel is situated amidst the spectacular mountains of Loch Ness and is secluded from the city, and at the same time not very far from the main city of Inverness- which is a 20 minute drive.
The hotel owners, David and Mary have very imaginatively and creatively done up the hotel. Every corner of the hotel speaks loads of character. For example, the beds have a large teddy bear, so it totally excites children coming with families. The beds have bed posts and frills so it adds a very Victorian look to the rooms. The stone walls and beamed ceilings give a very warm look to the entire place.
And to add to all this Mary really pampers you and gives you such a motherly and warm treatment that you just don’t want to leave the hotel.
David manages the kitchen and he is superb in his culinary creations- do try the lamb shanks in rosemary, and the chicken supreme cooked in mushroom and creme sauce, and the veg tagine . All the ingredients used are freshly bought daily from the local market and produced right at your table. The breakfast is so home like, eggs- made to order, porridge, sausage, hash brown and hot crispy toasts.
The cozy bar is stocked with the finest highland whiskeys and good collections of wines, and then you also have the warm hosts accompanying you for a drink.
We were 3 families with kids, and visited the hotel in May 2015, and if we ever come back to Inverness, we would only and only reside here again and again.
Still miss Mary and her warm attitude towards her guests and her extremely interesting and stimulating conversations.
Hotel pics on hotel website- http://www.steadingshotel.co.uk/gallery.php

Room Tip: Please take the room on level one- to the left, it is a beautiful room overlooking the farms and als...
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 October 2014

Of 5 properties that we stayed at during our holiday to Scotland, this was by far our favorite and we can not wait to go back next year. The Steadings is a bit off the beaten path but that's what makes it so special. It's close enough to all Loch Ness/Inverness area attractions but the landscape outside of The Steadings is unrivaled. We didn't even want to talk to each other over breakfast. We just wanted to stare out the window at the views. Speaking of breakfast, it was the best that we had. I don't understand the people complaining about dinner. While we didn't have dinner there, we had breakfast and it was amazing. I want David's porridge recipe, actually. The sleeping room was the cleanest that I've seen in a long time. I was extremely impressed. There is also a lovely bar in the lodge with some wonderful options. We had a lovely evening after we returned from Inverness chatting with the proprietors and some other guests.

I don't understand some of the earlier negative reviews of this place. The only negative was that we had to leave. Also, I can't believe that someone would actually complain about the TV. Why would you stay in the highlands in such a gorgeous location and watch TV anyway?

Definitely give this place a try if you are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank lisa l
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We enjoyed a quick overnight stay and it worked well for us. Not sure that we would call it a country house hotel which it makes efforts to replicate. Although we had a good dinner our breakfast seemed rather restricted to the set menu which prevented perhaps more personal choices such as grapefruit and muesli together. A good and tranquil location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

After a second visit to this property, we can say it is great. Though one is a few short miles from a main road and Loch Ness , it is not evident. Evenings can be spent looking for wildlife and mornings looking at the many birds coming to feed in the front garden. The rooms are clean and well supplied with the necessities. Though we had little time for it, we did try to work the TV - impossible. We are both reasonably well educated and the instructions did not work. As another reviewer noted, the dinner pricing should be changed having to pay for the number of courses rather than individual dishes is not reasonable in this kind of establishment. We did get the sense of being overly "mothered" here - have to do things per protocol. Aside from these nitpicks, it is a great property and we can recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I booked this hotel over a month in advance through the BOOK ONLINE link on their website which directs you to the booklochness.com website. I received a confirmation email from Visit Loch Ness with a booking reference and details of my stay. With this in mind and only five weeks until my stay I did not feel that it would be necessary to call ahead to alert them of my impending arrival. However, I was in the neighbourhood the weekend before and the place was beautifully lit up and looked very welcoming.
As you may have guessed, when I arrived at 8.30pm on the evening of my booking the hotel was in complete darkness, to the extent that I needed the light from my phone to see my way to the front door, which was locked. I knocked several times very loudly and called out. I also tried phoning the number on the confirmation email but with no response. Bearing in mind this hotel is a good half an hour off the beaten track in the middle of the Highlands, I experienced some considerable panic at this stage. Fortunately, I was able to contact a friend with hotel connections who was some 45 minutes drive away but after 3 hours drive just to get to the Steadings, it was a particularly unwelcome addition to my journey.
I have been in contact with the hotel who simply forwarded my email on to Visit Loch Ness (or booklochness.com) who have provided a fairly protracted explanation as to how this happened. So firstly the hotel had not informed Visit Loch Ness that they would be closed which meant the booking was possible in the first place. Then once they had informed Visit Loch Ness, through poor communication, they failed to contact me to tell me the hotel would be closed.
I had hoped that some form of complimentary night stay would have been forthcoming. However, not only did the hotel seem to take no interest in my "misfortune" but the booking company hopes that this would not deter me from using them again in the future!!!
Some might say this is the nature of the laid back Highland hospitality but having grown up in Inverness, I would argue that Highland hospitality is the opposite and more likely to welcome a stranger in without a booking. So this is simply a terrible mistake and it is just so disappointing that neither the hotel nor Visit Loch Ness felt it necessary to offer any more than an apology.
I have no idea if the hotel is actually any good but I will never be recommending it to anyone.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Campbll

Been to Steadings at the Grouse & Trout? Share your experiences!