All reviews tamar valley double shower on arrival complimentary port three nights local produce bed and breakfast both mornings perfect hosts b bs clean rooms open fire the garden view room cooked breakfast visiting tasmania minute drive easy drive
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at The River House for two nights recently. It was absolutely lovely, the hosts Anna and Michael were both welcoming and lovely people. Anna cooked us breakfast both mornings and the food was amazing, it was so nice to be able to sit down and have a homemade breakfast. The room had excellent views of the Tamar River, comfortable bed, spa bath, access to the deck. We cannot forget the beautiful Tamba who made our stay that little bit more special. We really enjoyed our stay here and would look to stay again when we return to Tasmania. Thank you so much for the lovely stay.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Michael H, Manager at The River House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Thank you.Anna is adding to her already excellent breakfast menu, and the menyu also changes with seasons. All reasons to return.
As you are aware we haven’t had Tamba that long, so thank you and I’ll pass your message onto her in the form of a schmako treat.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

We too came back to the River House and, just like Peter from the Sunshine Coast, wondered whether it would be the same. It was even better because the path down to the river was easier to find. Choose bedroom one because the view is brilliant. Breakfast is generous and Anna and Michael went to barista school to learn to make great coffee. I really recommend the River House - very comfortable beds, very clean, a variety of pillows to choose from and plenty of places to use around the house, from well-set up outdoor area to cosy library at night. Also, it's a quick trip to Low Head to see the penguins and a quick trip to the Tamar Island wetlands.

Room tip: I vote for room one. River view. Great spa. Plenty of space!
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Michael H, Owner at The River House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

It was our pleasure
Glad you enjoyed the river walk, we have worked hard on the path ( still more to do )
Look forward to seeing you again,
Michael and Anna

Reviewed 13 January 2018

Returning to the River House after several years, we were somewhat concerned when we discovered that it had new owners. Our concern was totally without foundation. Anna and Michael have maintained the same high standards. The location cannot be faulted, away from the "hustle" of the centre of Launceston, the view from the dining room is breathtaking. Should you need something from the city, it's a quick 10 minutes away from shops and 15 minutes from best restaurants in Tassie. And that of course, puts you 15 minutes closer to the vineyards of Pipers River. Did I mention breakfast? The couple's (self taught, I understand) skills in the kitchen using garden and local produce, make for a breakfast that sits with the best I have had in B&Bs. Our room was fresh, clean and cosy; all you would want in Tamar accomodation.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you. We can’t take the credit for the view, however we do pride ourselves on serving delicious breakfasts from local seasonal produce.
We agree that the 15 min drive out of town is worth it for the beautiful view and relaxing environment.
Look forward to seeing you on your next visit

Reviewed 29 December 2017

This review is sort of sad of funny. I found the River House somewhat on accident while traveling around Tasmania solo for 2 weeks ... and chose because all reviews were positive, the price was fair, and comments indicated sort to special place. So, after booking on line and driving for a day, I pulled up to a beautiful garden with a great view and immediately realized this is the place one comes with someone special not alone. A fantastic room and wonderful bed and then the owner made me one of the ten best breakfasts (brekkies) I ever have had. (Note also: bed and breakfast in Tasmania usually means bed and something you make yourself -- this was totally opposite and blew me away). If only I had unlimited funds, I would spend a few days here every year.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Anna R, Manager at The River House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear Jerry
Thank you so much for your lovely words and descriptions! We truly believe that The River House is one of those hidden gems waiting to be found ☺️ We thoroughly enjoyed having you stay and hope to one day meet you again. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 2 December 2017

From arrival to departure we enjoyed excellent hospitality, first class breakfasts and accommodation in a beautiful suite overlooking the river. Having retired from 14 years of B&B hosting, Anna and Michael provided a genuine, traditional B&B experience when so many others fall far short of expectations. Thank you both for a wonderful, indulgent stay. Great value for money.

Date of stay: November 2017