“2 day stopover for 80th birthday”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Maulden
Price range: USD 12 - USD 20
Description: The George Inn is a 16th century pub in the Bedfordshire countryside that has been lovingly restored. Our menu takes in satisfying and unpretentious dishes such as Honeyed Beer Battered Haddock & Chips and Warm Chicken Salad with Spinach, Caper berries & Sweet Mustard Dressing.We are also home to a private dining and meeting space with 7 boutique-style hotel rooms coming in Autumn 2016.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The George was recommended to us as a good place to stay whilst visiting friends at an 80th birthday bash in nearby Flitwick. 7 satelite rooms in the grounds of the inn. Ours was excellent, clean, tidy, good beds, all in all everything was very satisfactory. Great breakfast on Sunday morning followed by a walk up to the nearby church and through the woods at the back. On our arrival we were warmly greeted by the staff in the inn and treated with a complimentary drink. If you need to stay in the area I would recommend checking this place out, ring, email or Booking.com

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We went here with another couple and had a fantastic meal. For starter we ordered a sharing platter, we were going to order 2 but the lovely waitress advised us to order one as they were quite large - so true! This made me realise what an incredible place this was as they were not there for your money. Main was amazing, I had the chicken burger and my husband had the pizza. We both had food envy and by the end of the meal everyone was trying each other’s as we were so jealous.
The gin selection is fantastic.
The atmosphere is wonderful.
A home away from home!
Would definitely return - next time we will be getting a room so we can enjoy all the drinks. (We live over an hour away)
Thank you for a lovely evening!

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Went here after a family funeral. The food and service were excellent. Staff very friendly without being intrusive.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

I was unsure whether to write this review as we had such a wonderful evening that I am worried that the next wine tasting evening will get booked up and we will miss out! What an evening! It surpassed all our expectations. We were in the upstairs function room, seated around the table and presented with six incredible wines and large platters of delicious food to accompany them. Stan, the wine expert was knowledgeable, entertaining, interesting and knew exactly how long to talk for, and when to just let us get on and taste.
We came with some friends of ours who enjoyed it just as much, and we will definitely be booking again. I’d like to give a special mention to our middle ‘course’, the smoked trout platter. If it isn’t on the menu, please would you consider putting it there? It was absolutely delicious.
To the people on here who comment about price I will say this : all the wines at The George are sourced and bought through Stan, and he knows his stuff. You won’t get cheap, mass-produced, sulphite-heavy wines here; but ones which have been thought about carefully, and with the sole intention of being a cut above the rest, to show the customer thoughtful attention to detail. I realised last night that this pub has not only been physically rebuilt, but rebuilt with love!
Equally, the same applies to the roast dinners - I defy anyone to find a pub which serves better roast beef than at the George. You could cut it with a spoon and it is melt in the mouth. I would prefer to pay a few more pounds for their wonderful and thoughtfully sourced meat than to be feverishly sawing away at a piece of tough, overcooked beef full of sinew, so I’ll stick to eating roasts here every time.
Thank you, Emma and Julian for a wonderfully entertaining and informative, yet atmospheric evening - we all absolutely loved it, and will be coming back for more!
Hannah and Ady

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

A lot of money has been spent refurbishing this Grade 2 listed Inn, and it clearly shows. We stayed here whilst visiting Bletchley Park. The rooms are based in an annex designed to look like stables. Our room was nicely decorated in subtle colours, with reclaimed wood used for the bed and furniture. The clever laminate floor was very realistic 'reclaimed' floorboards. The walk-in shower was beautifully tiled and toiletries were from the 'Honest' range, with subtle use of herbs.
Wifi access was free and good.
We had lunch here and shared the George Platter (£15). A lovely mix of calamari, whitebait, arancini, prosciutto, caperberries, gherkins with flat and sourdough breads - very good.
Dinner was slightly less successful but still pleasant (with no sign of the cook/chill nonsense from the usual suspects!)
My partner had fish with a Parmesan crust, heritage tomatoes and a potato salad which didn't quite come off. Unusually for me, I tried a pizza - Nduja sausage and fresh chillies. The base was nicely thin, well-cooked and very tasty.
There was an outside Gin Bar with a great selection of gins which provided a great apperitif.
Breakfast was beautifully cooked with a great selection of cooked and cold dishes.
All the staff were very helpful, friendly and efficient. There was a real feel that this was true teamwork.
We shall definitely return if in the area again.

1  Thank Peter H