All reviews meal plan beautiful beach reef fishing screened in porch conch bar southern air rented a car sandy cay dean's blue hole stella maris columbus monument conch fritters bug spray paddle boards breakfast and dinner hobie cat turquoise water
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I expected the rooms to be simple and clean and they were. I also expected some privacy but there wasn't much privacy. The boardwalk along the beach goes right in front of all the bungalows, so if you and your partner want to stay in bed and gaze out over the water, just be dressed because anyone walking by can look right into your bedroom. For that reason alone I didn't think this was the ideal romantic getaway. Also, the four mile beach is not really four miles. It's 1.5 miles at the most, about 3 miles round trip, and you can only walk the beach during low tide as parts of it are under water during high tide. For someone who was looking forward to long walks every day that was disappointing. I can't speak to the quality of the snorkeling as unfortunately we traveled there during the coldest winter in about 30 years so we couldn't even get in the water. Also, we were there over a weekend and rented a car to tour the island on Sunday, and guess what, everything including Max's Conch bar is closed on Sundays. Wish I would have been told that before I booked the rental car. There is really nothing to see or do on the island. The food and service at the resort were pretty good. We did not get the meal plan and I was glad as you'd have to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner to make it worth it and we only eat two meals a day. Overall a nice place but I don't think I'd go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Holly6685
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Long Island, Bahamas is wonderful and the jewel is Cape Santa Maria Resort. Stylish bungalows with comfortable beds in peaceful setting a few steps from the wonderful four mile long white sand beach, incredible sunsets, good food and excellent service from friendly, happy, efficient and polite staff. Nothing is too much trouble for them. One of the best stays we have ever had and would be back there tomorrow if we could.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cape Santa Maria March 12-17th. It was so beautiful! We stayed in a beach bungalow (about 30yds from the edge of the ocean). We were surrounded by endless white sand and calm caribbean turquoise water. The room was lovely and clean with a gorgeous screened in patio. We certainly felt safe enough to get up every morning at the crack of dawn and open the bedroom door to let the sunlight in and see the beach while we fell back to sleep.
We really enjoyed the food and had breakfast and dinner at the resort "Beach House" every day. The ingredients were fresh and the dishes were really tasty. I thought breakfast was amazing. Specials were offered for dinner every night. The bar is fun and happy hour and the bartender were very nice and friendly. The water is purified by the resort and totally drinkable (ice included), so no stomach issues at all :)
We completely relaxed and took advantage of the secludedness of the area. We kayaked to an offshore beach, borrowed the bicycle-built-for-two to cruise over to the Atlantic Ocean side of the island, and rented a car to visit Max's Conch Bar down the south part of the island.
The local Bahamians are SO NICE AND SO FRIENDLY (and the women are so beautiful!). They really make your stay special and something to remember. It was a nice experience to be around such kind and happy people.
Brook & Ewa, the managers, are so nice and so helpful. They really take pride in the resort and you can tell that their staff completely enjoys working for / with them. They are very knowledgeable about the island.
Overall, the trip was a dream! Gorgeous, one of kind resort, yummy food, privacy, cleanliness, wonderful people all in a setting that is so amazing, you won't believe the beauty until you see it. I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OnlyMySunglasses
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Second trip to the Cape Santa Maria Beach.
Met all our expectations just as last time.
Rented a car only one day to see things we did not see last time.
Otherwise, just read, kayaked, slept, ate, sat under a gazebo, looking at the water and trying to read.
Also, bicycled. walked, explored.
Take the meal plan.
A great place to get away from the cold in Tennessee.
We'll be back.

Mary Frances and Jack

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Nice beach...a little buggy right before dark...but totally enjoyed our stay. Great food, professional staff.......might try a more remote vacation next time

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple