Great Glen Hostel(South Laggan)
No availability for your dates from these sites
All reviewsfort augustusspean bridgeben nevisloch nesswashing up liquidlovely breakbit datedthe cottageslong weekendfloating pubstunning sceneryup to datereception areaisle of skyeeagle bargelochside lodgesignal
Reviewed 5 April 2018

I have a couple negatives but please read to the end for the overview rather than focus on just the bad.

First view of park is lovely. A well maintained and clean site. The cabins sit along side Loch Oich which is pretty and peaceful. Each placed to give you a feeling of privacy. Car parking this time of year was no problem. We entered the reception area and was welcomed warmly by a friendly girl. Arriving earlier than anticipated we took advantage of the on site restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful but sadly that impression didn't last long. Our food was tasty and we tucked in happily. Our dairy free toddler was accommodated without fuss. Luckily our eldest fussy eater refused to eat her cheese sandwich. Her dad taking the top of her sandwich in the hope of encouraging her discovered stale bread and mouldy cheese. The young waitress did apologise but the person responsible for making up the food didn't. Hugely disappointed as you expect food to be fresh. We never ate there again. It was a facility we were hoping to take advantage of over the weekend.

The swimming pool looked tiny so parents decided against it. I can offer no further review of this facility.

Site had a small but adequate playground for the children which appeared safe and well maintained. The kids loved it so that's all to say really.

The cabin was adequate. Had everything you needed. It didn't scream luxury and looked grubby in need of a revamp but we were able to take our dogs so I thought it was nice considering how messy they can be. It was spotlessly clean on arrival with big fluffy towels so no complaints in that area. Included a dishwasher and microwave which was a bonus. The bathroom was dated and lacked storage for a 3 bed accommodation. We had 2 thin wire shelves for all of us to share. Toothbrushes and paste occupied all that space and everything else we had to store on the floor. The over the bath shower was difficult to climb in and a little slippy. I did it with caution. We had a lakeside so we spent more time on the balcony or looking out which was lovely. The only complaints of the cabin really are the bathroom as mentioned plus the beds were a little uncomfy and the sofa's springs had gone. You also had to pay extra for electricity and gas used. Not a fortune but to consider when costing up.

It all sounds too negative but wasn't really. Sitting in the front room looking out of the patio windows at Loch Oich is truly beautiful and has made up for any negatives. Putting it all into perspective we had a great time in a clean, adequate just dated cabin. The surroundings were great and in not too far drive to a small town. Just a shame about the restaurant really. I would go again as realistically as a dog owner I don't expect resorts to give us luxury for us to ruin with the dog. Just a little comfort and clean accommodation with working appliances. They ticked those boxes.

Room Tip: Ask for lake side as some cabins are set back.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank susan W
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

It was the weekend from Hell! We were shown to a damp lodge with no heating and told we would be charged for electricity, we spent the weekend spooning in one large group on the floor. We were chased and verbally assault by a maid who was upset we hadn’t cleaned a few dishes in the think.. who did she think she was? The cleaner? Complete opposite of jobsworth, she needs seen to - at speed. A feral cat was roaming around the restaurant and pub and bit one of our group, believe it’s name was Martin - avoid the wee bam! When leaving an old man drove up to us at least at 80mph and done a donut, spraying mud all over us then to say we weren’t getting our deposit back for ‘soiled towels and dirty plates’ will not be back and suggest no one else comes unless they want aggressive staff and wild animals in the lodges!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank barrystanton1
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Location was beautiful...cabins are dated ,cold and damp,bring ur own heaters,storage heaters are to small for the rooms...bathroom freezing,no heater atall.kitchen well equiped,no sky ect so dvd player,bring your own discs,ones we hired frim reception were nearly all scratched..sat nav will tell you that you have arrived...you havent its about 3 miles out...no shop on site or even close so do a decent shop before getting there..honestly i would say if you want peace and quiet away from everything,then this is ideal,wouldnt advise taking children...secluded and nothing for them to do.!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kimt2012
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

The property we stayed in was good & as self catering unit it's had all the basics required. There was no
Wi-Fi in the property and local signal was very low, almost non.
But who needs WiFi at a wonderful location such as this, I have been to many places in the world but the Highlands and Inverness is surely a blessing for mankind. You have to see it to believe it, the Mountains,Rivers, Lakes and the breath taking hiking areas are just AMAZING+. Not only are the walks fabulous the driving experience is great too, specially if you live in Central London. Just GO CHECK IT OUT. You will not regret it. Unless you hate nature that is.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2018

I booked to stay here for a week thinking myself and my partner would be able to relax in the beautiful scottish countryside... this defintely was not the case!

When we arrived we were told our lodge wasnt actually on the site but over the road, this turned out to be a ten minute drive through what seemed to be pot hole sanctuary. Upon opening the door to our lodge we were in complete disgust! The smell, oh the smell was horrible! and reminded you of an old car home. The carpets were disgusting with stains everywhere. The fridge was diabolical and the kitchen was riddled with mould. The extractor fan had not been cleaned in what looked like years as it was filled with fat and grime.

Now the bedrooms! As me and my partner do at every place we stay to ensure we are not sleeping somewhere horrible, we removed the bed sheets to see what state the matress was in. Oh My God! There was blood stains, urine stains and got knows what else! The pillows had changed colour from sweat and they was even blood on the walls!

After my partner started to cry thinking the holiday was ruined, I went straight back to the reception and shown them the pictures I had taken, they assured me it was cleaned upon arrival but they would move us to another lodge.

At least the second lodge we were moved to was cleaner, still not to the standards I would of wanted but we had cleaning supplies to make sure it was satisfactory to our standards before cooking, eating and sleeping in there.

In regards to the facilities available, there isnt any! The restuarant was never open for the entirety of our stay, the bar was open once even though it was promised to be open every night. The Sauna was out of order. The heated pool looked absolutely disgusting so we did not go in there! There was a watersport area situated on the loch which unfortunately was hardly ever open. It took me three days of phoning them before I got an aswer saying someone will be around the day after so finally we were able to canoe on the loch.

The entire holiday was spent away from Great Glen Water Park and we went travelling and seeing the sights instead.

Scotland is an absolutely stunning place and I highly recommend everyone makes the journey to the highlands but please, dont stay here!

Room Tip: The best tip is not choose a room and go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple