“Date night with hubby”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

As always the food was delicious & the staff were lovely, friendly & so helpful. We would definitely recommend this restaurant as it's one of the best locally

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Pasta/Pizza deal - pizzas were nice but Aldi stone baked pizza at 89pence is better.
Views are nice though at Ardrossan harbour

1  Thank 481Linda
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Beautifully placed restaurant on the harbour. First visit and we absolutely loved it. I have a fussy 8 year old and even he enjoyed his meal. I ordered the Frutti Di Mare, but realised after ordering it was white sauce, which I never order. So glad I did! Best pasta dish I have ever tasted. Seafood was delish! We also opted for the Scozse pizza (Scottish) and again it did not disappoint. Fresh, tasty food. We were staying at a nearby hotel in Seamill, but will travel here from our hometown as it’s worth the drive. As it was a Thu, they have a pub quiz after 8 and my son was excited as he was allowed to stay and be our quiz master. The staff came round with nibbles: popcorn and nachos, but we were stuffed by this point, but a lovely touch and looked delish. Staff were lovely, especially tall blond chap who made a fuss of my son. Keep doing what you’re doing! We will be back for sure :)

1  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is the biggest disappointment in the Three Towns. It looks lovely, I should be an amazing place but every time I go (I give it another chance every so often) it never fails to fall short of what should be a great dining experience.
The food is average, luke warm and the menu rarely changes. They miss things like having real Parmesan cheese. We were offered black pepper and Parmesan with our meal. The Parmesan looked like it had been purchased in a gallon bag like a huge bag of wood shavings. Why no one could run to ASDA and invest in a block of real cheese is beyond me. It would cost about £2.80 and would massively boost their claim that they are an authentic Italian restaurant. I’ve raised this with them before but it never changes. Still the same sawdust every visit. If I wouldn’t use it in my house then I certainly don’t expect it when I’m out for dinner.

The most disappointing is the drinks. I’d love to be able to sit on a sunny day and have a cocktail. My husband and I went on Friday night and I ordered a French Martini. It was horrid. Watery, flat and absolutely tasteless. When I sent it back, I was asked if I wanted another,instead I ordered a Tanqueray gin with Fevertree tonic. The full bottle of tonic was decanted into the glass, I could hardly taste my gin.

I have tried so many times to see if they ever get any better. They never do.

I’d really suggest some proper training for the staff on how to make a good cocktail. Even just get them to watch some YouTube videos. Every drink I’ve ever had in there always just feels as though it’s been flung at me. This isn’t even just specific to the guy that served me on Friday. It’s every drink I’ve ever had. Because of the location, it’s common that I’m invited to a few nights a year at Chechinis and I always dread it. Such a great location but it’s consistently disappointing. What a shame.

1  Thank MC T
Cecchinis A, Front Office Manager at Cecchini's Ardrossan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Hi MC T,

We are really disheartened to read your comments, especially being branded as "the biggest disappointment in the Three Towns". We apologise that you feel this way about our restaurant.

Our Parmesan cheese which we use comes from a respected Italian supplier and we very rarely have complaints made against it. However, I've passed your comments to our Head Chef for his consideration to look into alternative Parmesan cheese products to sample. I note that you came to visit on Friday, we actually had a menu change on Saturday with many new dishes added which I'm really sorry you missed out on sampling. Hopefully if you return you will be able to try one of our new dishes.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the issue you've been having with cocktails. I've passed this onto the restaurant manager who will take up training with the bar staff to ensure they're making them correctly, as they shouldn't be going out watery and tasteless. We are due to bring the bar staff in for additional training anyway so we can focus greatly on the cocktail side of training. We've got a deal on 2-for-8 cocktails at the moment so bar staff are regularly making cocktails and so far have only received your complaint about them, so haven't been steered to focus on them beforehand.

With regards to the gin & tonic, had you mentioned to the waiter/ess at the time we would have returned the drink and given you it back with the tonic on the side so you could dilute yourself.

Maybe our venue just isn't to your liking as you've said you "dread" coming here. We would obviously like to change your opinion of us, but judging by how harshly you've critiqued us, I fear it's not possible. Hopefully next time you are invited to come here, we will be better.

We am contactable on ardrossan@cecchinis.com if you have any further comments or discussion.

Kind Regards,

- Cecchini Group

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Returned to Cecchinis for first time in over a year. Restaurant was as good as I remembered. It was very busy on the day we visited and we were shown up to the mezzanine level which had a great view of the marina. The food was delicious - I settled for the Mac n cheese. Service was excellent and staff were friendly and very helpful. Would recommend a visit to Cecchinis to anyone looking for somewhere pleasant to eat.