All reviewssconesthe perfect hostnothing is too much troublehome from homeelizabeth annmansethornhillea
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Our second visit to Scaurbridge House! Wanted to relax, kick back, enjoy good food and catch up on sleep and this is exactly what we did! Nothing is a problem to Elizabeth Ann and this guest house is one of only 2 that I know of in the UK where breakfast is a moveable feast! Thank you for a wonderful weekend - we'll be back!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I only stayed one night, yet experienced the full Elizabeth Ann Hughes pampering service. Excellent hospitality from a very talented hostess, wonderful house, cosy classy rooms, yummy fresh home baking. I felt very spoilt from the moment I arrived and Oh, that breakfast extravaganza was divine - sitting on my own at that lovely table in that lovely room - it's true what all the other reviews are saying about this place, you won't believe it until you come and experience it for yourself.

A special thankyou Elizabeth Ann for your attentiveness, patience and thoughtfulness during the troublesome episode with my car.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2012

From the moment I rang to make the booking, to the moment we left, we have never felt more welcome anywhere. Elizabeth Ann greeted us with tea and shortbread served on wonderful old china, and showed us around the house. It's a fantastic old manse in a lovely setting, warm and luxurious, with an abundance of towels, piping hot water, soaps and lotions available for use. Every need has been anticipated, and the beds are extremely comfortable. Breakfast was outstanding, we ate too much both mornings as we just couldn't resist trying everything - fruit, cereals, home made scones and jam, rolls and bread, and of course the full Scottish breakfast which included some of the best bacon we've ever had. Our hostess was warm and friendly and more than went the extra mile in order to make sure that we were well looked after. Elizabeth Ann goes way beyond the call of duty, and her warm and friendly manner creates a very welcoming and homey atmosphere. Nothing is too much trouble for her. We look forward to staying there again, we will certainly return!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline B
Reviewed 1 June 2012

If you need a place to stay as you travel, holiday or work near Thornhill, then Scaurbridge House is the place for you. Scaurbridge House is warm, cozy and inviting, attributes that only shine due to Elizabeth Ann. The rooms were immaculate, the food was beyond belief and the company and conversation were bar none. I will be looking forward to our next stay with Elizabeth Ann.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Having worked in Moniaive for a few months and stayed locally we were surprised to hear that the local places were fully booked during the summer. It's a quiet location and we were really struggling to find a place near enough to make our work trip worthwhile.

As a pure stroke of luck a colleague stumbled upon Scaurbridge House and we were even more fortunate to find there were rooms available.

It's perfectly located for people wanting to visit this neck of the woods (or work like we were) and Elizabeth Ann was the ultimate hostess. Warm and friendly from arriving till leaving (she called us at 5am to say she was sorry for hitting snooze and not getting up to see us off! Most places we stay in the area are lucky if they'll even notice we're gone).

I can't really stress enough how welcome we were made to feel or how nice the house was. Very tasteful decor and so clean. Cups of tea were forthcoming and even some home baking.

We are more used to the opposite end of the spectrum where you'll just be happy if there's a bed so this was a real turn up for the books and this is in the same price bracket! I'll certainly be expecting more bang from my buck on future trips to other towns.

Don't forget to ask about the pearls, the female members of staff were transformed thanks to Elizabeth Ann's personal touch and the prices were more than fair considering what you would pay in a jewellery shop.

We will certainly be booking here next time we have work in the area and I think it summed up my trip that I almost don't want to give a positive review because it means we might not get to stay next time we're down in the Thornhill area.

Thank you Elizabeth Ann!