All reviewssconesthe perfect hostnothing is too much troublehome from homeelizabeth annmansethornhillea
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The rooms were clean, tidy and well and tastefully decorated.
The location was perfect for our needs.
What really made the stay, almost home from home, was the incredibly diligent and kind owner
No task appeared to be too onerous
She was extremely knowledgeable regarding the local climate and people. Lots of helpful tips during our stay.
Will remember the beautiful home for a long time.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Gdkeil
Reviewed 25 February 2012

A beautiful old home wonderfully decorated. Elizabeth-Ann took great care of me and extended kindness the likeness of which I have never seen before from the many B&Bs that I have stayed in. Food was first class. Homemade shortbred was outstanding. Rooms were warm and welcoming. I am looking forward to staying with Elizabeth-Ann again in the future.

Mike A

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike A
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This is a remarkably interesting place to stay.

Firstly, accommodation is within a most handsome and appealing Georgian manse whose interior is furnished beautifully and tastefully. Secondly, its commanding and secluded location is sublime – surrounded by magical glens, fast rivers and romantic hills of an unsurpassed beauty.

We were charmed by the remarkable Elizabeth Anne (an ex-French Language governess) sensitively and unobtrusively runs this delightful “maison”. Our group have always found her to be a hostess of great charm, wit and knowledge (worn lightly but encompassing detailed knowledge of the local area – a fascinating and often unknown part of Scotland).
Rooms are delightful and ooze good taste. They possess the most comfortable beds – a rare factor and when coupled with the inherent peacefulness of the location means undisturbed slumbers of the highest quality. Each of the four rooms has an abundance of the most beautiful lotions and soaps adjacent to the immaculately clean basins and piles of premium quality towels and gowns. Whilst the huge bathrooms are a handful of steps across the hall – this does allow the airy bedrooms to be unmolested by the indignity of incongruous wood chipped facilities dumped in the precious space. Often is the case.

We have always been delighted by Elizabeth-Anne deft touch in delivering huge tasty breakfasts. Commonly, they include home made fresh scones and fresh fruit compotes followed by the “full Galloway” invariably replete with local ingredients of the highest order. Her home cooked dinners are equally ravishing. Both meals are served in the cosy elegant dining room replete with lovely china and linen of the highest quality.

This weekend will be the tenth time we have had an extended stay at Scaurbridge. All have started with sipping drams in front of the roaring fire or sipping fizz in the enchanting garden. All have ended with that glow of satisfaction that comes from staying at a place that is run with such care, thoughtfulness and warmth.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nevis M
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The home is lovely. However, I was surprised on my arrival to be told I would have to share a bath. I could have dealt with that, albeit a bit reluctantly. The hostess next informed me that, for two nights of my planned five night stay, I would have to use a toilet downstairs, which had neither a tub nor a shower. That was unacceptable. I stayed elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank EFFor
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife and i recently stayed at this quasi bed and breakfast accomodation. The host Elizabeth Ann was extremely welcoming, our room was luxurious and comfortable and breakfast was quite excellent. There is a very high standard of furnishings and, should you wish it, there may be the opportunity to meet with a small number of other visitors. Overall it provides a very real and warm Scottish experience in a lovely and very comfortable older house.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family