“Worst buffet food ever!”
Review of Castle Inn Codnor

Castle Inn Codnor
Ranked #17 of 47 Restaurants in Ripley
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

I went here for a presentation evening, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement - I'd heard such good things about Castle Inn, but on arrival we where greeted by a very dated function room, small bar area and only 2 toilets in the ladies, which was very dark and the floor was wet through! When we went through to the Buffet area I couldn't believe what food was being served - cheap thin white bread, cheap margarine with hardly any fillings, wedges, chicken drum sticks (which smelt terrible and looked even worse) I'd like to say pork pie but it looked like spam with a crust! Thinly sliced quiche and in the centre of the table was a big bowl of pasta!! There was no brown bread, no salad, very disappointing. The only positive was the staff where very friendly and the price of the drinks were ok! Such a shame as I would never go there again or recommend it.

3  Thank UkFab
Management response:Responded 5 November 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologise for the experience you received on this occasion. We strive to deliver the best to our customers at all times, I can assure you this is not how we operate on a day to day! If a member of staff was informed about the ladies toilets we would have resolved the problem. Our buffet was catered for within the budget and salad was not selected. We would appreciate it if you did visit us again so we can give you the service we aim for. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Went on a night out Friday 14th oct for a social event. About 120 of us crammed in the function room with hardly any room to move. Poor planning of the tables - heating was on full blast and we were baking hot. Could have turned the heat down.
The buffet provided was poor. The bread sandwiches were dry and white bread only, pasta n pasta sauce was tasteless and chicken legs looked grey!
House wine wasn't that great and tasteless gin and tonic made for a not so great evening.
Put me off wanting to return. Sorry

2  Thank Pandorapolly
Management response:Responded 5 November 2016

Good afternoon, thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. However, we did not have any input in the planning of the tables/seating plan as it was down to the organisers. The heating was requested to be turned on and it was turned off later in the evening. We are very proud of our buffets and can assure you this is not the standard we aim for. We would appreciate it if you did visit us again to give you the experience we aim for.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

Attended a recent wedding here.

The food was great, lovely location and all the staff were attentive and welcoming.

Reasonable drinks prices.

Would recommend and will be back to try the Sunday dinners.

1  Thank brucey1971
Reviewed 24 April 2016

We are fortunate enough to eat out most Sundays and get out and about, but the Sunday roast dinner at Codnor Castle Inn is unbeatable in my view. Real home cooked food ( not out of a packet ) it's a carvery so help yourself but the staff are very attentative and helpful. Desserts are plentiful but alas the dinner is usually enough for me. Set in beautiful grounds this place is a must try. George the owner makes this place and he try's to get round and speak to all who visit. 10/10

Reviewed 6 March 2016

We took my mum for lunch. The food was lovely, with a good choice of meat, vegetables, Yorkshire puddings the size of a small house and delicious desserts. Thank you to George and his team for an enjoyable meal.

2  Thank gillyb0b2014