“Delicious Vegan Food”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

Was not expecting much from Balloo House, simply because country restaurants don’t often have good vegetarian or vegan options, but I was extremely impressed by their dedicated vegan menu. Staff seemed quite knowledgeable in terms of such food too. Interior is drab, dark and dated in the downstairs dining space, but the food more than made up for this as it was delicious. I had a main of Tuscan Potatoes with sautéed green leafy veg and mushrooms. Very good experience overall and great to have a range of vegan dishes to choose from.

Reviewed 15 September 2018

Stopped by for a meal and delighted with the range of tasty local produce in a quaint environment with loads of charm.
Superb menu choice with specials at a very keen price. All individually prepared and served with style.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We travelled from Belfast as we had heard great things. It was just ok, not spectacular. Pork Wellington was like a fancy sausage roll and the beetroot soup was horrible, although in fairness they did take the cost of the soup of the bill.

Don't think we will rush back

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Good Food
Good Seating
Good Staff
Helpful when asking about food for my son who's wheat and gluten free

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank Rhonda K
Reviewed 17 August 2018

I have been a long term customer for Balloo House in it's various incarnations over the past 30+ years and have had many enjoyable and tasty meals there during that time. The most recent trip was to the Bistro last weekend, as a couple with my wife. I was looking forward to it, having reviewed the menu online beforehand. We chose to sit in the back portion of the restaurant rather than the new extension. I was surprised to see the fixed price Sunday lunch menu presented to us differed markedly to that shown online (the online version showed appetizing fare whereas the one we got offered rather more basic dishes), and eventually we chose to select from the main menu in order that we would be able to avail of a better selection of desserts. We skipped starters and ordered our main courses - I was rather taken aback that my 'medium to well done' steak was delivered to the table in under 5 minutes and that we were given only a single (small) dish of champ to share. For both meals the other vegetables consisted of a single carrot stick, a single cauliflower floret, a single roast potato cut in half and a couple of leaves of cabbage. All too obviously the meals have been cooked hours beforehand and had been left under a heat lamp; plainly a medium to well done steak can't be cooked in minutes, and the sauces for both dishes were already congealing. This really isn't the standard I would expect of a restaurant at the upper end of the local market. We soldiered on with our meal and it was tasty enough without being exceptional. After the main course we asked for the dessert menu and again were surprised to be presented with the fixed price menu with it's limited range of choices - our whole rationale for choosing the main menu was to get a better range of desserts. My wife's rice pudding suffered the same problem as the main courses - all too evidently made hours earlier and left to congeal on the plate, although it was reasonably tasty. I accept that in a busy establishment all meals can't be freshly made, and that a degree of preparation is required, but it's really not unreasonable to expect that your food should be freshly plated before serving and not already semi dried-out. I can't fault the service - it was friendly and if anything it was too efficient, and the ambience of the restaurant was pleasant. As a final shock we were billed the prices from the main menu, despite the all dishes we selected being available on the fixed price Sunday menu. It was only a couple of pounds difference but left a bad taste in the mouth. I didn't make a fuss at the time so as not to ruin a family trip out - but I was sorely tempted to. For some time I have had a sneaking feeling that standards are slipping at Balloo - a trip there used to be an occasion to look forward to, unfortunately not so much now, and it pains me to give a less than positive review. Will I be back ? Maybe, but more than likely not.

Date of visit: August 2018