“Surprisingly Disappointed ”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I want to leave a very honest review, in my opinion. I want everyone to realize that even “Paradise “ can have issues. We were at the resort Dec. 2nd through the 9th. We were there to celebrate a special birthday for me. We had booked this particular resort a year in advance & based on the great reviews and ranking. As part of our package we had unlimited golf. This was our 3rd Sandals resort so we knew what to expect. The resort is beautiful and clean. The restaurants were exceptional, at least most were. Our less than stellar review comes from not up to par service. When you pay that much money for a certain level of room & service and then don’t get it, people are highly disappointed. Our troubles started day one, not huge on their own, but together kind of ridiculous . The concierge club was short on personnel and lacking service in handling all the people that arrived at once. When we finally got to our room, we found a lack of towels, the bar was not stocked, the refrigerator was open and everything was warm, a broken clock, a problem toilet, etc. The we were informed that there was a problem with the “golf “ and that they would have the golf manager call. It turns out that the issue was a lack of golf carts, yes really at a “Golf” resort. My hubby had to fight to get any tee times and ended up only being able to golf 2 times and only nine holes. We brought golf clubs all the way for that !
We gave them several hours to fix at least some of the issues, but nothing. We went to the Concierge Club and they called the manager on duty. He was able to get things kind of corrected,but it took several more calls. The next day the same things happened again. We could never really find anyone in the concierge club since they were almost a skeleton crew. We finally spoke to someone else about our continuing issues (Kim our bartender) (awesome), and she got us to the guest services manager Sharlene. She listened and tried to help us again & took the time to explain some of the personnel problems they were having. She got some more things corrected for us but sadly the same issues happened day after day so we always had to call again & again. I am very disappointed as it took away from the vacation and made it so we will not go back to that location. We met several other Sandals regulars experiencing the same and had come to the same conclusion about not returning. We are loyal Sandals patrons and have made reservations at another location for next year.
I think that due to all their service issues that they should have done something to at least compensate guests for not getting what they paid for, even if it was only additional points, to acknowledge their huge service issues. As far as the golf issues, they should have called guests to give them the option of changing their reservations or something.
And to add to it, they really never acknowledged my birthday,unlike Southcoast the previous year. I write this so people can be aware before they go.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank RJVB57
Jasmine J, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide your review of Sandals Emerald Bay. Our goal is to provide a consistently reliable product and an exemplary level of customer service and based on the events you described it seems we may have not meet our goals.

Your comments regarding the service provided to you by our employees will be used for coaching and training our employees. Thanks to your feedback, we are able to continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. We would love to have another chance to demonstrate our unconditional commitment to customer satisfaction and provide you with a much better experience at our resort.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,117)

Reviewed 16 December 2017

"Hats Off" Sandals Emerald Bay, Great Exuma Bahamas! Without any exaggeration and being loyal club elite sandals members, We've had one of the most incredible and unbelievable vacation of our lives here in Sandals Emerald Bay, Great Exuma Bahamas!An Epic wedding anniversary celebration masterfully prepared by our extraordinary yet very humble butlers: FLOYD&ROY!
Our two butlers exceeded our expectations by going above and beyond the call of duty! Very personal yet extreme professional, very discreet never intrusive!FLOYD&ROY Possess a sophisticated knowledge of Butler Elite services and Hospitality techniques and have a bright and shinny personality ! Since day one till our departure they exhibit : a. integrity by always interacting with us as guests ethically and honourably ! b. Respect by empathising and fully considering our diverse needs ! They are fully committed to achieving the highest level of service for us and use their insight and high level of knowledge to proactively respond to us as guests and making sure everything runs smoothly and efficiently! Well mannered, educated and an impeccable hospitality with an unbeatable Butler Elite service with a personal yet professional touch! They are both have a bright future within the hospitality industry and we recommend them without any hesitation.
Sandals Emerald Bay , Great Exuma Bahamas together with the Bahamas island is a small piece of Heaven on Earth ! An ideal destination for couples who seek a very peaceful, quality and precious
vacation days! Beaches of breathless beauty, an aristocratic grace , ease and simplicity! A bespoke hospitality experience whose memories will last for ever! Legendary chefs and Sous-chefs creating masterpieces and food that is poetry!
Stunning resort's surroundings : landscaping ,lavish gardens, fountains, private pools, state of art gym and an aristocratic, impressive yet simple architecture !
Here we would like to take a moment and Special Thank you wholeheartedly the following ( and also all of the staff including managers and employees in every department and those whose names can't recall by heart):
1.General Manager Sir. Jeremy Mutton who was present at the airport upon arrival to welcome and greet and shake our hands! What an honour! An extraordinary man, the mastermind behind the organization and execution of the highest level of hospitality service beyond and above 5* luxury and quality !
2. Hotel Manager for managing extremely successfully daily operations
3. Loyalty club Manager Lavern Taylor , Director of Operations and Director of Accommodations for their outstanding performance. Especially Lavern for her exceptional service and upgrade to the prime minister villa beach house ! Lavern is extremely polite , kind and a hard nose professional who gets the job done!
4. Head Butler Sir. Damion Lewis
5. Front desk management and staff
6. Maintenance,landscaping , housekeeping and room service
7.All of the staff in restaurants , Drunken duck pub , pools and café de Paris !
8. Latonia at Bahama bay
9. Randi at Barefoot
10.Sameko at La Parizienne
11. Herold Stock in room Manager
12. Uncle Sam Landscaping
13. Janeen at Café De Paris
14. Angeliqua Housekeeping
Thank you Sandals Emerald Bay , Great Exuma , Bahamas !

Deep Bow,
Peter &Elley-Ray

Stayed: November 2017
3  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 15 December 2017

Hi my wife and I just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at Sandals Emerald Bay and the Sandals Culture of superior customer service is still intact. This was our fifth sandals vacation and we enjoyed every minute. My wife and I tried others all inclusives, but we always come back to Sandals. Excellence resorts come close, but they are not Sandals. Jeremy Mutton is the GM of Emerald Bay and the English gentleman has made sure that the resort follows the focus on customer service. From the day that we arrived tired and hungry the staff and Bahamian people were exemplary. Lashan @ the Jerk Shack was the first and I will mention a few of the others. Wedijah @ the Italian Restaurant, Kenthino @ the English Pub, Sonia @ Bombay, ZyZa @ the Japanese Rest, Leneshia & Kris @ Komato, Michelle @ the main pool and finally Johanne at the front desk. They all follow the spirit of Sandals and make the resort special. Davis Spitcers the executive Chef has to be mentioned because the food was outstanding at all of the restaurants.

Golfers will love the course and there were a few issues that were beyond Jeremy's control. The weather/wind prevented water sports on the beautiful beach and some of the maintenance issues were not addressed because of staff exported to hurricane damaged Sandals resorts. Mr. Mutton had to fly a generator repairman in from Florida for repairs and the guests were not inconvenienced.

You will Love Sandals Emerald Bay

Kevin C McCurrie

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 15 December 2017

This was my wife and I's third Sandals trip. We had previously been to St. Lucia as well as Jamaica.

As far as rooms, layout of the resort, pools, and beach front, this was by far my favorite. The beach is large with plenty of chairs, beautiful water, and soft sand that they are constantly raking with a tractor to make it enjoyable and easy to walk on.

As far as food is concerned, it was nothing fantastic. The breakfast bar is good, the hibachi is good, and there is a place called the Drunken Pub that has the best food on the resort in my opinion (steaks, burgers, and bread pudding). All of the severs in the drunken pub were all very rude with the exception of 1 and 1 bar tender.

Now for the golf. I am an avid (scratch for what its worth) golfer and have played many courses around the US. The scenery at this place is just absolutely breath taking, the course is in phenomenal shape, but the greens are VERY VERY VERY slow (which is to be expected in a resort style course like this. I went the first day I was there to book a tee time for each day (6) that we were there as that is the reason we chose this resort. They then informed me they had no tee times until 3pm each day. My initial thoughts were, what, that can't be right. She could tell I was agitated, then says, but you can call back tomorrow around noon and maybe we will have something open up. It turns out that they only have 12 golf carts. Yes you read that correctly, 12!. After learning of this and asking her to call her manager, they allowed me to walk the course (free of charge). I walked it 2 days and rode it once (2:30 pm tee time and barely made it in before dark). The walk was almost 6 miles according to my phone and the back 9 is quite challenging.

So for me, since I chose this place to vacation strictly for the golf and to not be able to actually play golf like I wanted or when I wanted, its very disappointing and I would not recommend the place honestly. If I could do it again, I would have chosen somewhere in the states that can handle more than 24 golfers a day.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank crowdebr453
Reviewed 14 December 2017

My husband and I spent 9 nights at Emerald Bay in October. I like to think I have a balanced view and having read a number of the very critical reviews on here would like to give, what I like to think is a balanced view. Firstly, the beech is the most beautiful I have ever seen. The staff are really lovely and I certainly never met any of the surly people other reviewers have mentioned, the restaurants and bars are really very good and represent value for the price paid. Yes, the rooms do require some updating but I did not go on holiday to sit in my room - everything worked and did it's job - we had a broken toilet roll holder which we reported (hardly the end of the world) and it was fixed the same day. Sandals is at the mid to top end in relation to price but I really don't know what some people expect - overall a fantastic location with brilliant staff, food and bars and a yes, some buildings that Sandals need to invest in upgrading over time. One of the best holidays we have ever had.......

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
17.8 km away
Augusta Bay Bahamas
Augusta Bay Bahamas
#1 of 5 in George Town

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!