All reviews ocean building swim up bar grocery store full kitchen fish fry welcome center awesome pool stove top on site restaurant ferry ride island tour laid back rented a car peas just returned from a week the resort offers glass bottom boat tour
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I was so nervous going here, because the reviews were mixed and/or bad. We travel alot, usually cruises, but decided to come here- my aunt has time sharing here. The front desk was very nice & helpful, as was all of the staff we encountered. The property was beautiful, clean, and safe. The rooms had a private pool on every balcony. The rooms were big & clean.

The main pool is amazing, 3 caves, a swim up bar, a huge water slide, & had suntanning tables= in the water. Hot tub was also nice & private. The resturant was surprisingly good ( usually hotels resturants are terrible) the food was very good / all 3 meals / drinks priced alittle to high.

The water sports they offered were great, but I think they were also priced alittle high. The beach was so nice & the water was warm and clear / keep in mind sea grass washes ashore / but no bother.

Take the ferry to Lucaya- i loved this little town / awesome food & shopping / casino was nice also- people in town were great / I highly suggest AGAVE-a latin resturant / and EAST an asain resturant / Le Med was great too . Lucianos is awesome but way overpriced. The ferry is 5 minute ride for 5$ roundtrip /

This place is good for strict r & r / there isnt a lot to do- so your forced to relax, which is a good thing. I am so shocked at all the other bad reviews / because we are tough critics ourselves, and found this place to be nice . I give it a 4 out of 5.

This place wasnt overcrowded, which made the experience even better /

Enjoy // p.s the coffee @ the resturant is awesome //

Date of stay: May 2009
4  Thank Daja2008
Reviewed 6 May 2009

We spent two weeks here and had a restfull time. Our timeshare belongs to a very dear friend. We stayed in a top floor one bedroom with a kitchen and living room that was very nice: ceiling fans, tile floors, patio overlooking the pool, great kitchen and appliances. The beach is really nice although the wind was a little blowy and on some days really quite strong.The resort has a restaurant and bar (check out the website), great pool and hot tub. The activities were a bit tame. We only ate at the restaurant once and it was good. The rest of the time we either ate at the restaurants in Port Lucaya or cooked in our kitchen. The resort has a free bus that goes to the super market three times a week so ask at the front desk for a schedule and ticket (you need a ticket even though it is free). Groceries are expensive as is eating out (or it can be). Port Lucaya has some shops, restaurants, bars and charter water sports (snorkling, scuba, sightseeing, etc) but is not a big place. The resort also has some water sports besides the pool, such as jet skis, kayaks, etc, but these are expensive. They have beach/pool towels, just ask. If you don't have a car, there's a ferry boat to Port Lucaya. Its $2.50 per round trip and it takes abt 10 minutes. About 20 minutes walk away are restaurants where the locals do the weekly fish fry (it's on most days actually). we went snorkelling - pricy but good. we rented a scooter for a day and explored the island. There is not a great deal to see really. We had a restfull and relaxing time. got tanned and were made to feel very welcome. There is not much else to do!

Date of stay: April 2009
2  Thank Bob_Alex
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This was our Honeymoon vacation, given to us by my parents who traded in one of their weeks with RCI so we could vacation here. My husband and I are in our mid 30's, young at heart, love a good local bar and love to explore the natural side of the island.

Being from Washington State, I have DREAMED of seeing the gorgeous turquoise water and white sand for as long as I can remember! The Taino Beach Resort did not disappoint!

From what we learned about the resort, there are 3 seperate 'sections' to the resort: Ocean, Coral and Beach (?). The buildings are all connected - you can walk from one end to the other without them separating. We - unfortunately - didn't have an ocean front room. We were on the 3rd floor, facing the back of the building, but it was still great! Our room was dompletely pink in color - floor, counters, etc. It was old and outdated, almost Flintstone-esque! But it was clean and well kept. Other people we talked to said they had units with state-of-the-art marble countertops, stainless steel appliances, etc. Maybe they're remodeling section by section?

The pool is AWESOME!!! If you have kids, they will have a BLAST here!! It's got a water slide, lazy slow float 'river' and very shallow area for the little ones. It has a swim up bar and several hammocks around the pool for lounging. (I've heard some people say they were gross, but if so, just throw a towel over them and GET OVER YOURSELF! Some people are tooooo picky - I am not one of them)

Then you get to the beach..... it blows everything else out of the water!!! Breathtaking, fantastic and oh-so-beautiful!!!!! The turquoise water never ceased to amaze me! With plenty of lounge chairs and 'tiki-hut' umbrellas for shade, the beach was great for everyone. It has a roped off swim area and plenty of white sand to walk and walk and walk. They even have cute Bahamian colored pick nick tables for eating! Again, I've heard reviews that "the beach isn't raked and cleaned like other resorts" and I will say again - get over yourselves!! It's not raked free of seaweed, but it's not dirty either - just look at my photos!

The only downfall (if you see it that way) is that the resort is located ACROSS the waterway from Port Lucaya - which seems to be the 'it' spot for eating, drinking, shopping and BUSES. (well, their buses are actually older minivans! haha!) So you have to take the Taino Beach water ferry over to Port Lucaya for, well, anything. It's $5. per person round trip, so if you're traveling with family, I can imagine how expensive it would get. There aren't even any buses that come to Taino, so that kind of stinks!

All in all, a FABULOUS honeymoon!! We couldn't have asked for more. Yes, the Bahamas seems to be on their own time and schedule. No biggie, it's vacation, right?? Some workers can come off as 'rude' but nothing worse than a bitter New Yorker! ha!

More than anything - take some time to price shop the car rentals, rent a car (for even a day!) and head to the EAST END. You will see the most BEAUTIFUL BEACHES EVER!!!!! Even if you only make it to Lucayan National Park - it was the best $60. (for one day car rental) that I've ever spent in my life!!!!

Two words: EAST END, EAST END, EAST END!!!!!

Date of stay: April 2009
4  Thank BellaWa
Reviewed 8 April 2009

The Grand Bahama Island is huge with far fewer people then Paradise
Island and Atlantis. Those islands have tons of people and its more like a city. Be prepared for the blast of humidity when they open the plane door. Its changed a lot since the last hurricane. The Princess Casino was blown away and never recovered. Only one casino The Lacayan and thats down town Freeport. We rented a car for the week $400. and probably paid for it by eating at McD's a few times. Lunch anywhere is tough to find under $50. Every place always puts 15% gratuity on the bill. Its your call for an additional tip since the house keeps half. With a car we were able to find the fish market and ate lobster 3 nights. $19. lb. The one supermarket close by is filthy. Eggs kept in a broken cooler we ignored. A small can of peanut butter was $5.75 and a standard roasted peanuts jar was $13.
Pack your own coffee and cremora etc. Take onion,garlic,salt & pepper if your going to cook in the time share. The meat at that super market I wouldn't touch. The only other market is downtown Freeport. Its like a Sams Club, big quantities. If you do the lobster thing just cook it in margarine after seasoning it. Its great! Fast food places have typical prices like here in the states. The condo has pots,pans,silverware. The pool is huge. Probably take you 20 minutes just to walk around. Grotto bar, water slide. The pristine white beaches are 3 minutes away with lots of eye candy. Luckily my great wife pointed them out! Sunscreen is a must or you will fry!! You can rent scooters, jetskis, parasail (2people at a time) bring money! The international bazarre was also blown away and never recovered but new places opened at the marina next to the big Casino. Lots of shops, t shirts will shrink down to the size of my dog. Don't
bother. Plan your trip so you are there at least one weekend night. There is a huge show on weekend nights. A Band, singers, fire eater, an incredible guy who does Limbo. They have a big pavillion or you can sit at one of the many bars surrounding the place and eat and drink and watch the show. There will be lots of people there including the folks off the cruise ships. The Flamingo Hotel next door says in its advertising that its next to the theme park, there is no theme park! If you rent a car don't forget they drive on the left! Its tough to get used to but they do have a huge sign on the window that says "Stay to the left!" If you are a smoker here is a great tip when your leaving. Get your luggage through and go through to the waiting area. There is a bar you can hang out in and its got a separate section for smoking. You can drink, grab a sandwich next door and surf or read your email. Take your laptop, theres wireless every where! One more thing. Cash is at equal value to US. But get rid of it before you go.
PS The Condo itself isn't too bad. But its taken a beating. The one we were in had a queen bed (very comfortable),3rd Fl, a balcony, full kitchen, combined microwave & convection oven, huge shower. A steel stairway in the middle of the room that went up to a loft with its own bath. A jacuzzi. Really really steep stairway! If your short, chubby and like to have a few cocktails, you may be taking your life in your hands. The faucets are quite corroded from the sea air and came off in my hand.
Have fun!

Date of stay: March 2009
4  Thank vrn706
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Once again the Taino Beach Club and Resort met and exceeded our expectations. This was our second trip here, this time without the kids! My wife and I felt like we owned the place, actually there was hardly anybody there this time. I'll blame this on the economy, not the resort or its prices or ammenities. We were graciously upraded from the Flamingo Bay this time without even a hesitation from the reception desk. Awesome staff!

From the moment we got there everything was perfect: the weather, the beach, the room and the people. Do yourself a favour, kick back and enjoy all that the island has to offer, seriously. Don't think that Port Lucaya is the only place to go, even though we had lots of fun there. We made numerous excersions around the island and loved everything. MOST IMPORTANT, walk across the beach (bring your sandals for the rough spots) and head towards the other half of Taino Beach. Here you'll find the Junkanoo Beach Club and Smiths Point. The best fish fry, Conch Fritters and Coleslaw EVER!!! On Friday night, 8 Sands or Kalick Beer at 2 for 1 plus a massive dinner cost us only $30! I don't know what everyone is complaining about, sure the prices elsewhere are more expensive but that is how they survive: afterall you are on a tropical island.

My Advise...kick off your shoes, pour yourself a cocktail and RELAX!!!!!

Date of stay: March 2009