All reviews ocean building swim up bar port lucaya grocery store full kitchen fish fry welcome center awesome pool stove top on site restaurant ferry ride rum punch rented a car laid back peas glass bottom boat tour jet ski
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We got this place through an exchange and had read numerous reviews and was quite concerned. The room was nice (Marlin)but did not have a balcony so we asked to change and got a room (Ocean) that had a balcony and overlooked the sea but was not as nice as the previous one.
Most of the people were pleasant and always asked if you were ok but some were not so nice like Mellisa who dealt with trips etc. She dealt with you as if it was too much trouble and I could not deal with her and left it to my Partner. Beryl however was a delight.
The place was ok but not RCI standard. It was also very very quiet and everything was very expensive. You need to stock up with food and cook yourself. The restaurant was ok but expensive and wine US$ 20. The beach was ok but lots of seaweed on the beach. The jet skis and paddle boats were just ridiculous in price to hire and the people dealing with that just stayed in their hut and did nothing except sometimes go out on the skis themselves.
If the weather had not been nice we would have been bored silly.
If you wanted to go elsewhere out of the resort it would cost you money, for instance US$5 to get to Port Lucaya (where there were other expensive restaurants) or expensive taxis.
All in all we had a good time but only because we enjoyed our own company and that of others and enjoyed walking up and down the beach as did everybody we think.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis-and-Barbara
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Originally I booked the Flamingo Bay hotel for $80 a night. When I arrived on November 8 2008, it was closed for renovations. The taxi driver took me to the Ritz Taino Beach next door which was accepting Flamingo Bay reservations while it was being renovated. So I got a free upgrade to a classy Hotel.
The person at the front desk was very unfriendly when I arrived. She did not bother to look up from her desk for some time after I approached. Rest of the staff were much more friendly and helpful. Check-in time is 4pm. I was kept waiting for over 2 hours in the lobby before I could get to my room. Check-out time is way too early at 10am. Ridiculous check-in/out times especially as the resort was almost empty. They could have been a lot more accommodating. Nice clean room with a kitchenette. However, the jaccuzzi in my room did not work. Neither did other jaccuzzis when I talked to other guests. I can't really complain I suppose considering the price I paid and I'm sure there's no jaccuzzi in the rooms at the Flamingo Bay. The wi-fi internet access is only available in the lobby and it was down the last day I stayed there. Beautiful pool and beach areas. Bucketed down with rain one night, so I stayed in and watched TV - good reception with plenty of channels to choose from.
However, unless you are on a honeymoon or need to be alone, this is the wrong side of the lagoon to stay. It will cost you $5 by water taxi each time to go to the "other side" where the Westin & Sheraton and the shops/restaurants are and things to do. If it's raining (no cover on the boat) and/or the water taxi is not running, it will cost you $48 round trip to get to the other side via regular taxi around the lagoon. You could rent a car for $65 a day for a longer stay, I suppose.
If Google had a street map of Grand Bahama Island that I could have looked at before I arrived (it doesn't), I would not have booked a Hotel on this side. Finding a map in my room upon arrival, I could see the situation much clearer. I would not stay here again - it's the wrong side of the lagoon. There's plenty of good Hotels to stay at on the right side of the lagoon.

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank enelani
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Overall stay was ok. The idiosncarasies of the resort were a dissappointing distraction. The beach is just spectacular. Beach towels are almost non available even though so slow , what gives? Trash trucks doing their rounds at 5am, not acceptable.
Some very helpful and pleasant employees, some downright rude and very confrontational or just being ignored. Seems to have supervisors but no real management in place. Units are noisy. Lock out doors enable sound to travel right through. Kitchens are very functionable with mircowave/convection oven.
Fish fry on Wednesday night at Smith Point is very fun. Count Basie Square has outdoor entertainment different nights of the week. Garden of the Grove should be visited. Mangrove kayak tours and Ben's Cave were all worth while doing and Paradise cove for snorkling

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SteveKillington
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Ritz is a timeshare property ! They try hard to get you to go to there sales presentations ! We stayed at the ocean part of the resort ( closest to the ocean ) . Couldn't see the ocean from our room .The rooms are all pink marble and pink walls ! Pink everywhere . The best part of this resort is the pool slide and the ferry that takes you to Port Lucayan . The resort needs alot of updating !!! If you go try to get one of the newer rooms in the Marlin ! They are nice ,but NO OCEAN VIEW ! For the $$ you spend better off staying at the Our Lucayan Resort !

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank hole13
Reviewed 18 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at Taino Beach Resort the first week of August 2008. We don't own there; a unit was gifted to us for the week.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We made it known right off the bat that we had no intention of buying a unit. This did not change their attitudes at all. They were all very friendly.

We stayed in a room in the Marlin. The Marlin has just recently been updated. The room was amazing since it was brand new.

Taino Beach is the best beach on the island. The water is crystal clear and the beach was never crowded. The pool was also very nice, it had a water slide, and a bar called the "Grotto".

Pros: great beach, nice room, nice pool, friendly staff, water sports, Port Lucaya is a 10 minute ferry ride away.

Cons: lack of beach towels, lack of housekeeping, couldn't charge food and drinks to the room (always had to have a credit card or cash on you)

Tips: Skip the bonfire on Sunday night. The food isn't that great. Definitely go to RumRunners in Port Lucaya. Go to the local fish fry on Taino Beach on Wednesday nights.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple