All reviews ocean building swim up bar grocery store port lucaya free rum punch full kitchen fish fry welcome center awesome pool stove top on site restaurant ferry ride rented a car laid back peas glass bottom boat tour jet ski
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

I felt like a lot of the people that worked there were very very rude. Hotel was decent. The beach was wonderful. Food was poor my hash browns tasted like fish which was really gross to me since I don't eat fish.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank KatharineTheresa
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We just got back from spending another great week at Taino Beach. We were there from June 30-July 7 so we got to spend the 4th of July on Island which was pretty cool.

As I was prepping for this review, I did read a very negative / spiteful review and I want to address some of those negatives with a more objective viewpoint.

A little background before I start. We have been coming to Taino since our Honeymoon in 2004, so we’ve seen quite a bit of change in that time good and bad…so on with the review.

This resort is an RCI affiliated timeshare and has won commendations for their service from RCI. I will tell you that this is not an “all-inclusive” resort nor is it an “american style” hotel with room service and daily maid service. If that is what you are looking for, then you need to keep looking . This is kind of like a hybrid, apartment/hotel where the room is yours for the week. If you want fresh towels / linens everyday, go to housekeeping and they will replace them for you.

CHECK-IN

Like most places on the island, check-in time is 4pm which is pretty firm. The women that check you in cannot release your room until housekeeping clears it. Also, they are not the person who assigned your room. Reservations assigned your room and you are on a list. (Members generally get the room that they request, but on occasion that can’t happen.)

Once your room is ready, a bell captain, will gather your luggage and escort you to your room. He will also check your room keys to make sure they work. (I find it Odd in the other review that there was no one to help them with their luggage and the fact that they wandered around the resort for 30 minutes looking for their room. Everytime we’ve been there, there was someone that took our bags to our room, as well, we did not have an option to take our own bags.)

If you arrive on the Island before the 4pm check in, you have several options.

1. On your way to the resort, have your cab driver stop at the grocery store to get your non-perishable items and bottled water. (the water from the tap is ok to drink, but most people prefer bottled water)

2. Hang out in the lobby…they have free Wifi and fruit punch and Rum punch to enjoy. It is an air-conditioned space with comfortable chairs….and the punch is good

3. Go for a dip in the pool or the ocean (there are changing rooms in the lobby with showers, so bring a towel and your swimsuit in your carryon)

4. Grab a bite to eat in the restaurant (I will say, it used to be hit or miss at Taino by the Sea but it has been getting better, for a safe bet, try the hamburger it’s pretty good)

THE ROOMS

The resort is made up of 3 different Units, The Ocean, The Coral & The Marlin. Here is a breakdown of the units.

THE OCEAN:
The Ocean was opened in 1997. Complete upgrades and improvements were completed in January 2007. it is the oldest unit that is still at the resort (the original units Taino 1 and Taino 2 were damaged by hurricane Francis and torn down.)
These units are the closest to the ocean but they are still close to the Pool.
(We request to stay in these units when we go, since we like to be closer to the ocean)

THE CORAL:
The Coral, formally "Coral Suites" was opened in 1999. they are nice and have huge balconies that overlook the pool. (We've stayed in these units too)

THE MARLIN:
The Marlin was originally scheduled to be opened July 2007. However, they actually opened a little ahead of schedule. these are the newest units and have the most up to date facilities. these are adjacent to the welcome center and they are the farthest away from the beach.
(I have not stayed in these, but have taken tours and seen the rooms.)

All of the 1 bedroom studio rooms face the Pool/Ocean. All of the efficiency rooms face the parking lot.

Since 2004 these units have faced 3 major hurricanes and I’d say they have held up fairly well.

Now about the plunge pools, In 2004, about ½ the pools were working, and since then they have taken the pumps away from all of them. Only the Coral and Ocean units have the pools. I believe the next renovation will be the removal of those pools for additional balcony space.

We have never had bugs in our room, and to be honest, I couldn’t tell you if the hinges were crooked or if the sink was corroded. We are in the Caribbean and the humidity takes it’s toll on everything. We are the type of travelers that go with the flow and to not let unimportant details ruin our vacation. Everything worked in our room so we were happy. If you want stainless steel appliances and newer units, spend the money and upgrade to the Marlin. The room to me is a place to sleep and eat and the Ocean serves that purpose.

I have made several friends with the staff and look forward to seeing them and enjoying their hospitality every time we go.

From what i can figure out, the resort numbering goes like this:
every room has 4 numbers and the breakdown is something like this:
I believe, that the Marlin is building 1, the Coral is building 2 and the Ocean is building 3

example: we were in 3104
which is building 3 (the ocean)
room 104 (first floor)

Room Tip: If you want a newer room book into the Marlin (studio rooms face the pool while efficiency units face the parking lot) with a first floor room you could walk right out to the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
22  Thank aggieguy93
Reviewed 7 July 2012

First of all, if you are expecting a five star resort experience, this is not the place for you. This is an RCI timeshare with no housekeeping service, but really a self-serve situation, which suits my husband and I just fine.

Check-in is at 4:00 and is firm. However, you can put your bags in a secure room and go have a drink at the restaurant or go upstairs in the check-in area (they have shower/changing facility) and go to the pool or beach. When we did check in to the room, we were pleasantly surprised. We had a one bedroom in the Marlin wing and it was great. Large living area, two sofas. Galley style kitchen with stainless steel appliances. Beautiful balcony overlooking the pool and a view of the ocean.

The pool - the pictures say it all. The beach - it was great for the first few days and then a load of seaweed washed up that was not removed for two days. We walked over to the public beach at Taino (one-half mile) and the next day went over to Lucaya Beach. No big deal, but a bit disappointing that they didn't do something about it more quickly.

We played a lot of tennis and the court is in great shape by Caribbean standards.

They have a business center where you can use the internet for free, which we did daily to check email.

If you need towels, linens, etc., just go to the laundry area and they will gladly exchange. Nice.

This resort draws both families, young couples and older people, so a nice mix. People were very friendly and seemed to be having a great time.

I am looking forward to our next trip back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cookiecArlington
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We exchanged into Taino Beach through RCI and it was the worst decision we have made since beginning our timeshare travels many years ago. We had exchanged and reserved a 2 bedroom villa at Taino due to Tripadvisor reviews. I have no idea what resort the other reviewers stayed at but it could not have been the same place we went to. I am handicapped and called 2 week in advance of our arrival to check on the accommodations and amenities. I discovered that we were booked in a "Penthouse Fourth Floor 2 Bedroom unit with a splash pool on the balcony". Sounded just wonderful... When I asked if there were elevators, I was informed that the elevators only went to the third floor. No problem, I was told since I would be moved to the second or third floor. (I never feel comfortable in ground floor units for security reasons). When we arrived on Saturday, the reception was cordial if somewhat lengthy due an obvious shortage of staff... ONE person at reception who was busy booking activities for existing guests. I discuss my earlier conversation with reservations about the location of my villa and I was assured that there was no problem... Well that is where the problems began! My wife and I struggled with our luggage to our assigned room (there was nobody to help with luggage), which I assumed was on the third floor since the room number was 300 number room. After searching for about 30 minutes in 95 degree heat, we finally found out from several other guests that it was a first floor unit. When I walked back to reception to get this fixed it only got worse. The single person at reception became abusive and completely uncooperative. I was forced to wait for about 20 minutes while she registered several other arrivals, one of which began literally screaming because she claimed she was a regular visitor and did not get the unit she was promised. When I was finally given a unit on the third floor, we then again struggled with our luggage to the new unit. What a disgusting unit. The beds were not even queen sized, the place had dead bugs all over, the sinks were rusty and filthy and the "splash pool" obvious had not had water in it for years and years... there was not even any plumbing to let water in or out. (see attached photos). We were so hot and tired at this point since we left Connecticut about 10 hours earlier and had two uncomfortable plane rides with delays before we even got to "Tainted Beach". We spent one night there and early next morning I got on the phone and found a suite at Pelican Bay Resort for a couple hundred dollars a night. We packed our bags and left this "resort from h__l". We did come back on Friday to officially check out and guess what!!!! We went to out unit and discovered that it was occupied by other guests. When I went to reception they checked me out of a completely different room that I was registered in. I was beyond arguing at this point. I realized that I was completely screwed out of an RCI exchange week and the $1,700 it cost me stay at the other resort. RCI should remove this facility from their list of "resorts" and the Bahamian government should shut them down for health violations and scamming guest by double renting units.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank edwardh_8
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I was there with a friend of mine and her daughter between May 31-June7. We had a great time. The staff was courteous, the pool was beautiful and the beach was gorgeous. We had a room in the Marlin building and we loved it. It was clean and had everything we needed. There is no housekeeping that I could see. We went when we needed anything to housekeeping and got our own stuff. Towels, toilet paper, soap. Not a problem for me. We had a beautiful view of the pool from our terrace. The terrace was large and very nice.

There is a grocery run a few times during the week. We decided to get our taxi driver to stop on our way to the resort so we wouldn't have to do the grocery run, but it did cost us an extra $20, so it's up to you, which one you would rather do. We took alot of our non-perishables which I highly recommend. Most of the food on the island is very expensive. I did notice that fruits and vegetables, sandwich meat, cheese were not as expensive as non perishable items. Liquor is very cheap. Beer and wine, not so much.

We loved the pool. It was clean and huge. There were always enough chairs. We loved the grotto bar at the pool. All the bartenders were extremely nice and alot of fun. The beach has a restaurant on it and you can go to the bar there when you are at the beach. I liked the food at the restaurant. Is it the best I've ever eaten, no, but it was good.

We went to port lucaya most nights for dinner. You have to take a ferry $5/round trip per person or you can take a taxi. I recomment the ferry. It's only about a 10 minute ride. All the ferry drivers are extremely nice. In Port Lucaya I highly recommend Agave. Fish tacos are great. They also have a burrito that was out of this world. It is my favorite restaurant there. Zorbas was also good.
I think those are the only places we ate because we liked them so much. There are several places to hang out in port lucaya after dinner. I never got to sit in the square and listen to the music, but i hear that is alot of fun. I love the feel of Port Lucaya. Very laid back, which is what I was going for on this vacation.

We did a snorkeling cruise/beach party excursion that was so much fun. The food is pretty good and they have beach volleyball, egg toss, or you can just hang at the beach.

They had junkanoo while we were there, which is i think the anniversary for something. They had a parade and some of the best floats, costumes i've ever seen in a parade before. It was a great time with the locals and met some really nice people there.

Went to the fish fry on Wednesday. The food was fantastic and had the best time. We had to be at the airport very early the next morning so we couldn't party with everyone til 3:00 am but it was still a good time.

I can not say enough about the great time we had. I'm not sure why some people are not satisfied with their stay here but i loved it. I have stayed at the ocean before and the room was very outdated but we still had a great time.

We made some friends during this trip. Keeping up with them on facebook. I thought everyone we met was extremely nice and courteous. If you are looking for a party every night, then this is not the place for you. We stayed busy relaxing, partied some, and kept busy the whole time. WONDERFUL VACATION. So wonderful, I am going back in September.

Room Tip: Choose the Marlin if you can. Great rooms. Very updated. I had a one bedroom therefore had a view of the pool. I chose a studio for the trip in September which i've heard has a view of the street. Doesn't really matter. I'm not in the room much anyway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends