All reviews ocean building swim up bar grocery store port lucaya free rum punch full kitchen fish fry welcome center awesome pool stove top on site restaurant ferry ride rented a car laid back peas glass bottom boat tour jet ski
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We are owners here and so we have been several times.

The beach and pool here are great. Rarely is the beach very busy and you can always find a chair. The pool is probably one of the best on the island. The slide is very fun and the lazy river is great. Both of these make this place.

We own in the "Coral" and frankly is due for a major upgrade. The units are just very dated. Things don't work well and they aren't keeping the units up. The above stove microwave broke and they just left it there and put another one on the counter. The units also need a very good cleaning. Things were kinda grimy in places. The towels and linens are in definite need of replacing. We did talk to someone that owns in the newest phase and he also said that the units are needing repairs and several things were broken.

The staff that we encountered here must not be happy with their jobs. For the most part they were rude and unfriendly. It was the exception that we met someone that was helpful. They are also very rigid with their rules. I requested an extra beach towel to cover my legs from the sun - this turned in to a HUGE deal. It was ridiculous. I'm not going to steel your worn out beach towel that has holes!

We'll continue to go here because we own, but I hope that they make some upgrades in the near future. Again, the beach and pool are great the units just need some updating.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SunAndBeachSeekers
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I would just like to start off by saying that I was here a few years ago (it would't let me choose far back enough - but I did go in August) and things may have changed a bit. Regardless, this was the best vacation I have ever had and still dream of it!

The fun began right from airport. Our cab driver Tim was amazing and sang to us the whole way (you could also hear him on the radio... big superstar!)
Upon arrival, it was a quick check in. I had booked through a timeshare and was given the fourth floor in the Ocean building. I asked for a main floor room (although I'm sure the view would have been outstanding!) and was upgraded to the Marlin. The Ocean and Coral buildings are older and very "Flintstone". They have hot tubs on the balcony (all floors) but I never saw them being used and they were cold (yes.... I snuck up to one and felt the water...shhh!) the Marlin was GORGEOUS! I ended up on the main floor steps away from the pool. It was very safe to just walk out and leave the door open and go swiimming.
Swimming.....aw yes. The pool. Best pool ever!!! It had shallow and deeper sections, the slide, the grottos, the grotto bar (dollar shots, two dollar shots, pirate juice...YUM!).... shall I continue? The temperature of the pool was fantastic and was cleaned every morning. I know it was.... I watched them do it. I enjoyed the midnight swims best - once the kids stopped playing on the dry slide. I'm not a beach person, but it was well groomed daily and the water was beautiful. I stepped in a couple times to my knees. yeah... that was good enough. I like to look at the ocean, not swim in it. That is why it is super important to have an excellent pool.
Staff - the staff were very friendly and very accommodating. I never had an issue and bar service was fast. Once they found out that my friend and I were Canadian...forget it! The free stuff started pouring in! We even got fresh coconuts from the trees onsite. YUM!!
Take advantage of the Monday grocery run. Unless you want to eat out daily. The onsite restaurant was pretty good, but it would get boring after a bit. The prices at the grocery store are insane. Everything is 8$! Chips, fruit cups.....it was nuts. Fresh meat was cheaper. Luckily I brought most of my dry goods from home, so I didn't need to buy much. Yeah.... Bought a frozen pizza. I was so excited to have pizza. There was no oven in the unit. Microwaved pizza is not that good when it should go in the oven. My bad!
I went to Port Lucaya a few times. The Ferry is across the street and only takes a few minutes to get to the port buy water taxi. Buy your ticket at the resort. It was 5$ for both ways. Port Lucaya was great. Be warned.... most shops close up by 5pm. You can do it in a day. We went back to get last minute souvenirs that we missed the first time.
Fish Fry Wednesday....OH MY GOD.... I am drooling just thinking about it! I have never had such good eats in my life! Freshly caught fish. How can you go wrong? Conch salad...yummers! Then there is a party after. When they say party... they mean it. They dance until about 3am and you can hear it all the way back to the resort. Most things shut down early that day since everyone is at Fish Fry.
The room I had was beautiful. It was a 1 bedroom facing the pool. It had two sofas, one being a pull out, and two chairs. A dining table, two tv's, dvd player, satellite and the most beautiful marble bathroom you have ever seen. An oven would have been nice, but I lived. Not sure if the water was potable, so we boiled it for 5 minutes first before cooling it off. Bottled water was way too expensive. Bed was a bit on the hard side, but I enjoy that. It was perfect for my back.
Company - heh heh.... little kissy lizards are everywhere.The super itty bitty ones got in the room. No problem. The bigger ones were outside. Two really enjoyed our patio daily. I named them Fred and Georgette. LOL Got some really great pictures of them (once my lense de-fogged from the temperature change from the room to outside).
I met some fabulous people on my vacation that I am still in contact with. Miss them!!! They stayed in the Ocean building and did not enjoy it as much as I did (the room was not as comfortable).
I will most definately be returning to Taino Beach Resort. It was the most relaxing vacation I have ever had. It will need to be in the Marlin building though. If this resort could go all inclusive I would be in heaven!!!

Room Tip: If you choose a studio, you will be facing the street. Get a 1 bedroom to get a view of the ocean and pool.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank capricorn7697
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We have just returned from Taino Beach and I have been trying to think of a redeemable quality I can share with readers! I am being completely honest when I say this place NEEDS attention....BADLY! The rooms are outdated (we stayed in the Coral) The room was hodgpodged together from what looked like a remodel. The pillows are lumpy and the beds are a mattress on a slab. Our TV cable was torn out of the wall and repeated requests for repair took a personal visit from us to the front desk to get anywhere! The grounds are shabby and there is ALWAYS debris in the pool. Between the concrete slabs at the pool there is overgrown grass and in some instances this overgrown grass is a big lump and is dangerous for walking! The activities are overpriced. We paid for a paddle boat, but when we tried to go on the paddle boat we were told "there is nobody here to shove you off" I guess the person sitting there was unable to do it! DON'T waste your week here.
I must say, though, that the Bahamian people are very friendly....when you go into Lucaya or Freeport, the people are very helpful!
The staff at the Flamingo Hotel are very nice and helpful too.

Room Tip: I didn't see any other rooms, but from what I've heard the Marlin has the most up to date accommodations....but you still have the same pool area!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lismom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The beach is badly needing cleaned. There is all kinds of rubbish on it spoiling it's beauty. The units too are poor compared to what's available elsewhere but you know Grand Bahahas is in need of repair. It's tired looking everywhere. Without the sun it's a dump.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Philbur
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The studio was very large, it was more like a 1 bedroom. I guess because it was only one large room divide for sleeping and livingroom and diningroom. There was a full kitchen and a very large shower but no bath tub.
No maid service and you had to exchange your towels yourself. I had a Terrace half the size of my living quarters; it was like having an extra room full enclosed, thats where I had my breakfast each morning watching the sun rise.

Room Tip: Its a large property and all buildings are not equal I was told. The larger room that I was in is the older building I was told. I took a tour of the newer buildings and the furniture was nicer with a flat screen TV etc with more updated pictures and mirrors on the wall; but the terrace was smaller as the rooms. I personally like the set up of the studio I had ,over looking the pools and a very short walk to the beach. You can hear people (kids) in the pool but not at all a problem. The night I arrive was my birthday and it was BBQ night, buses for other resorts was there and live music and dancing; for one price you eat drink all you want and after watch a live show with fire and much more. I didn't know about this before hand but I could not have wish for a better Party if I planned it myself.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SadeNY
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Taino Beach Resort & Clubs, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

We hear that a lot! The Size of the units are pretty big relatively speaking! Glad you took the time to post your thoughts and experience with us. We look forward to hosting your return visits soon!