All reviewsocean buildingswim up bargrocery storeport lucayafree rum punchfull kitchenfish frywelcome centerawesome poolstove topon site restaurantferry riderented a carlaid backpeasglass bottom boat tourjet ski
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This place is the most awful place I’ve ever been. The people have no customer service whatsoever! Our room was the size of a Motel 6 and there were tacky rose colored mirrors all of the way around the entire room. It looked like the ‘Fred Flintstone’ house. It was pink concrete all over with a kitchenette with a hunter green bathroom sink. The refrigerator was falling apart. And there was a hunter green hot tub as well. The curtains were ripped off the rod and there were twist ties which I had to put the curtains back on in order to close the drapes. I was so scared to stay there. There was a pink concrete counter with 3 ‘stools’. These stools looked like industrial sized spools that had been painted and someone had put a cushion on top. I had called this resort in advance to ask for a ride from the airport. No one ever answered the telephone. I left a message but no one ever returned my call.

We arrived in Freeport after 7pm. By the time we got to the ocean at taino beach, we were starving. We went to the restaurant that had been advertised and it was filthy. The carpet was ripped in several places and they weren’t serving food any longer. We ordered drinks from the dirty bar and one person charged us $3.50 per drink, then another lady started working and she charged us $10.00 per drink.

In order to go anywhere, you had to walk to the Flamingo Bay Resort, (about 4 blocks away), where they charged $5.00 per trip in a water taxi to get to Port Lucaya. Or get a cab which was anywhere from $13.00 to $25.00 per ride depending on which driver it was. FYI-Port Lucaya was dirty and disgusting as well.

We met a lady and her 25 year old daughter and they had a rat in their room and the resort would not send maintenance to remove it. They told them to remove it themselves!!! They left those ladies in that room for 3 nights before moving them to a ‘rat free’ room.

If you wanted food, a van would take you twice a week, (for a $3.00 fee per person), to a grocery store. The price of groceries is 3 to 4 times what groceries cost in the States. Their online system was down all of the time so you had to pay in cash.

There is no WiFi in the resort rooms. You have to go to the front desk to get online and then they limit you to 30 minutes.

It was the worst experience of my life!

Room Tip: Just don't go
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Cswanson29
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Okay I thought this place place would be run down based on the reviews BUT those reviews are so bogus and far from the truth. My husband and I went here for our honeymoon on Feburary 12 and we loved our stay I am 27yrs old my husband is 33 yrs old. We stayed at the OCEAN which is the oldest of the 3 buildings but it was actually alright. Again based on reviews I thought the ocean building would be like a run down roach Motel but to my surprise IT WAS NOT. It was actually ok. We did tour the rooms in the Marlin building and they were really nice because that's the newest building. Seriously though our room in the OCEAN Was just fine. The staff were very friendly suggesting places to eat and things to do. They were very helpful. By the way The Med has awesome food and The Carribean CAFE. As far as things to do the Glass Bottom Boat tour was nice, snorkling, and site seeing. So trust my review guys please. Don't let these other reviews fool you. We will be back to the Bahamas next year. Bottom line Taino Beach is a very nice place with nice grounds with a very nice beach. The Ocean rooms aren't so bad guys please believe me. The only complaint was that the water took a while to get hot. Everything else was just fine.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank I_Nero
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Taino Beach Resort & Clubs, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for your recent post – and congratulations on your recent wedding!

We are continuing the process of our refurbishments on the Ocean and Coral phases. The work is slow and steady, but we are making progress, without burdening the Resort with large expenditures which reflects in the rates and fees for our valued Guests.

We couldn’t be more pleased that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to hosting your visits in the future- its getting better every day on the island!

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at Taino Beach for a week in November 2011 with our 2 children. The place was empty, which was fine for us. We had 2 adjoining rooms, and luckily, because between them both, we had all functioning appliances and showers. Only one shower was hot between the 2 rooms, only one microwave worked between them and one had a bigger fridge. My kids loved the jacuzzi in the room.The rooms were clean along with the grounds. The pool and beach were clean. The hot tub was cold and I guess it has been cold for a few years! My kids waited patiently until 11am daily for the slide to open. If the man who was the "lifeguard" for the slide left, my kids would just hunt him down and he would reopen the slide for them, since they were the only kids staying there. We had dinner in the restaurant which was ok, but on our last day we had breakffast there and it was great-amazing coconut french toast! We took the ferry nightly to Port Lucaya for dinner and had great meals at all the restuarants there. We even stayed for a little "show" one night at the bandstand there in the marketplace. We paid our nightly boat driver to come back and give us an island tour, which he drove us around in his car for the day and took us to Deadman's reef on the other side of the island. My husband took the trip to the market to buy groceries, which he said a box of cereal was 12 dollars! We did the glass bottom boat tour, which it was a rough sea day, but the crew was great.We hit the pool bar for happy hour each night and they happily made our kids drinks also. We walked to Junkanoo beach and did the paddle boats and kayaks there-kinda get hustled there to buy shell necklances and stuff, but if you say no enough, they leave you alone. Same with the timeshare-we told them no right from the start and they left us alone. We took a van with some other friends we met at the hotel to a local fish fry up the road and it was amazing-great food and beers. We had the kids so we left early, but heard it gets much more fun later into the night. So, in the end, it is not a 5 star resort, but we made the best of it, and had a great time. Buy some Kalik beer and relax...it is Bahama time.

Room Tip: Since we had two rooms back to back, ask for a room with a balcony, the front rooms are dark. Balcony rooms are larger.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The staff is excellent and cheerful. Omar is the best! Loved Krystal too. The older rooms are quite funky and the beach is lovely, clean and good for long walks.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from Taino Beach Resort. We really liked the relaxing atmosphere and the lack of crowds! The nights and mornings were cool, but the beach was perfect during the day. However, I will definitely do some things differently if I return. Our room was in the Marlin building and it was very convenient to the lobby. It was clean and unlike many of the other visitors at Taino, we had appliances that worked. Our phone was another story; apparently one of their numerous salespersons was trying to get us for days and finally had to come to our room to try and persuade us to listen to her sales pitch. We met several other couples during the week and none of them could contact us. It was very inconvenient. Our room was clean, but very dark since we faced the parking lot and had to keep the shutters closed. It was really like a hotel room. Fortunately, the lobby, pavilion and other areas around the resort provided nice retreats for escaping from our room. The pool was beautiful and the grounds surrounding the resort were well-maintained. (Some areas were not well lit at night, however, since many lights were burnt out)

When we checked in, we did not receive a calendar with information about various activities at Taino although we were informed about the big ticket commercial items such as island tours , swimming with the dolphins, etc. Since we arrived late Friday afternoon, we missed the bus trip to the market and had to wait until Sunday to buy groceries. We bought enough for a couple of days thinking we would go back in the middle of the week. When we finally received the guest information and calendar on Monday, we learned that the last trip to the market was that afternoon and we were also too late for that. I think it’s very odd that the shopping days are Friday, Sunday and Monday. There needs to be a bus going during the middle of the week especially since there is not a vending machine of any kind at the resort. We also did not having a freezer compartment in our little refrigerator so if something had to remain frozen, we couldn’t buy it. If you need something, you might be able to find it in the tiny store located in the nearby Flamingo Bay Hotel. We ended up eating at the restaurant on site and it was OK. I had a couple of great meals there. We were very pleased with the pork chop dinner and the grouper dinner that were featured on the “early bird” menu. They were served with delicious sautéed vegetables. Later in the week, I had the early bird chicken with the same type of sautéed vegetables. That time they were mushy, and my chicken and my husband’s minute steak were both over-cooked. We both enjoyed their conch chowder and a salad. That was only time we strayed from the “early bird” fare. We stayed with the basics for breakfast--scrambled eggs, toast, and sausage. Their website says there is a buffet, but I never saw it.

We sprang for the ferry boat to Port Lucaya several times during the week in order to shop and to eat. The shopping was disappointing and much to my husband’s delight, I went home empty-handed. Twice we wanted to eat a late lunch at Agave’s and both times it was CLOSED. We enjoyed dinner at Giovanni’s; the service was excellent and the owner’s wife gave us special attention and was fun and very personable. We ate twice at Sabor’s which is located where the ferry docks. We loved watching the boats in the marina while we ate and enjoyed cranberry margarita’s during happy hour. Although they were served plain--no salt, no fancy glass, no little umbrella--they were very good. I had a blackened tuna steak that was served on a green salad. It was delicious. For lunch my husband and I had burgers. They were not inexpensive and at first they looked small, but that was deceptive. They were thick and full of flavor! The service was not the quickest I’ve ever had, but we appreciated the fact that we could relax and enjoy ourselves without being rushed out of the door.

With just a few changes, Taino Beach Resort could be excellent. A pen and a pad for writing would be a nice touch. A robe hook on the bathroom door and a little shelf or caddy in the long narrow showers would be nice. The kitchen was not my idea of a "full kitchen." We had only two burners and a MW/convection oven. A paring knife, measuring cups and spoons, a regular 10-12 cup coffee pot, and service for FOUR instead of THREE are all little things that would make a huge difference--especially since rooms like ours didn’t have WiFi, a DVD player or a working phone. That being said, I guess the ONE single thing that would have greatly improved my stay is the sheets. They were absolutely the worst sheets I have ever slept on. The pilling on them made for some very uncomfortable nights. Ditto for the pillow cases. I can only imagine what it would have been like if I had been sunburned! It was like sleeping on dotted swiss…. or worse! Maybe linens with a higher thread count might actually last longer and be cheaper in the long run. After several nights on the sheets they have now, it is very difficult to give anything other than an average rating to this establishment that has so much potential.

Room Tip: Get one in the Marlin and get one that doesn't overlook the parking lot.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank N2Books
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Taino Beach Resort & Clubs, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Thanks for your posting. You describe exactly what we know about, and are diligently working on here. Taking our property from a mature resort, and bringing it into maintenance that is current and consistent.

Like many properties that have older and newer phases, we strive to get each phase to be as desirable as the other. You also mention the surrounding area attractions in a realistic light.

Thank you for your posting, it will assist any newcomers with pertinent information, while acknowledging that we have some work to do – we still have a great place to visit!