“Flamingo Bay at Taino Beach”

Taino Beach Resort & Clubs
Reviewed 2 March 2012

A friend and I stayed at Flamingo Bay Hotel, on Taino Beach, which is a very small hotel, with minimal facilities. However, Taino Beach resort across the road has one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, it reminds me of the 7-mile beach in Negril, Jamaica. The staff was helpful and the taxi drivers and water taxi pilots were also courteous. Taino beach also has a nice jacuzzi, a water slide, watersports and other activities. The business centre however needs more computers, I went there to borrow a PC to check my mail and had to leave because the two computers were in use. Food is expensive, but of a good quality. The water taxi ride into Port Lucaya marketplace is very pleasant, especially in the evening, and the marketplace itself is bright and cheerful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 February 2012

This place is the most awful place I’ve ever been. The people have no customer service whatsoever! Our room was the size of a Motel 6 and there were tacky rose colored mirrors all of the way around the entire room. It looked like the ‘Fred Flintstone’ house. It was pink concrete all over with a kitchenette with a hunter green bathroom sink. The refrigerator was falling apart. And there was a hunter green hot tub as well. The curtains were ripped off the rod and there were twist ties which I had to put the curtains back on in order to close the drapes. I was so scared to stay there. There was a pink concrete counter with 3 ‘stools’. These stools looked like industrial sized spools that had been painted and someone had put a cushion on top. I had called this resort in advance to ask for a ride from the airport. No one ever answered the telephone. I left a message but no one ever returned my call.

We arrived in Freeport after 7pm. By the time we got to the ocean at taino beach, we were starving. We went to the restaurant that had been advertised and it was filthy. The carpet was ripped in several places and they weren’t serving food any longer. We ordered drinks from the dirty bar and one person charged us $3.50 per drink, then another lady started working and she charged us $10.00 per drink.

In order to go anywhere, you had to walk to the Flamingo Bay Resort, (about 4 blocks away), where they charged $5.00 per trip in a water taxi to get to Port Lucaya. Or get a cab which was anywhere from $13.00 to $25.00 per ride depending on which driver it was. FYI-Port Lucaya was dirty and disgusting as well.

We met a lady and her 25 year old daughter and they had a rat in their room and the resort would not send maintenance to remove it. They told them to remove it themselves!!! They left those ladies in that room for 3 nights before moving them to a ‘rat free’ room.

If you wanted food, a van would take you twice a week, (for a $3.00 fee per person), to a grocery store. The price of groceries is 3 to 4 times what groceries cost in the States. Their online system was down all of the time so you had to pay in cash.

There is no WiFi in the resort rooms. You have to go to the front desk to get online and then they limit you to 30 minutes.

It was the worst experience of my life!

Room Tip: Just don't go
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Cswanson29
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Okay I thought this place place would be run down based on the reviews BUT those reviews are so bogus and far from the truth. My husband and I went here for our honeymoon on Feburary 12 and we loved our stay I am 27yrs old my husband is 33 yrs old. We stayed at the OCEAN which is the oldest of the 3 buildings but it was actually alright. Again based on reviews I thought the ocean building would be like a run down roach Motel but to my surprise IT WAS NOT. It was actually ok. We did tour the rooms in the Marlin building and they were really nice because that's the newest building. Seriously though our room in the OCEAN Was just fine. The staff were very friendly suggesting places to eat and things to do. They were very helpful. By the way The Med has awesome food and The Carribean CAFE. As far as things to do the Glass Bottom Boat tour was nice, snorkling, and site seeing. So trust my review guys please. Don't let these other reviews fool you. We will be back to the Bahamas next year. Bottom line Taino Beach is a very nice place with nice grounds with a very nice beach. The Ocean rooms aren't so bad guys please believe me. The only complaint was that the water took a while to get hot. Everything else was just fine.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank I_Nero
tainobeach, Guest Relations Manager at Taino Beach Resort & Clubs, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for your recent post – and congratulations on your recent wedding!

We are continuing the process of our refurbishments on the Ocean and Coral phases. The work is slow and steady, but we are making progress, without burdening the Resort with large expenditures which reflects in the rates and fees for our valued Guests.

We couldn’t be more pleased that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to hosting your visits in the future- its getting better every day on the island!

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at Taino Beach for a week in November 2011 with our 2 children. The place was empty, which was fine for us. We had 2 adjoining rooms, and luckily, because between them both, we had all functioning appliances and showers. Only one shower was hot between the 2 rooms, only one microwave worked between them and one had a bigger fridge. My kids loved the jacuzzi in the room.The rooms were clean along with the grounds. The pool and beach were clean. The hot tub was cold and I guess it has been cold for a few years! My kids waited patiently until 11am daily for the slide to open. If the man who was the "lifeguard" for the slide left, my kids would just hunt him down and he would reopen the slide for them, since they were the only kids staying there. We had dinner in the restaurant which was ok, but on our last day we had breakffast there and it was great-amazing coconut french toast! We took the ferry nightly to Port Lucaya for dinner and had great meals at all the restuarants there. We even stayed for a little "show" one night at the bandstand there in the marketplace. We paid our nightly boat driver to come back and give us an island tour, which he drove us around in his car for the day and took us to Deadman's reef on the other side of the island. My husband took the trip to the market to buy groceries, which he said a box of cereal was 12 dollars! We did the glass bottom boat tour, which it was a rough sea day, but the crew was great.We hit the pool bar for happy hour each night and they happily made our kids drinks also. We walked to Junkanoo beach and did the paddle boats and kayaks there-kinda get hustled there to buy shell necklances and stuff, but if you say no enough, they leave you alone. Same with the timeshare-we told them no right from the start and they left us alone. We took a van with some other friends we met at the hotel to a local fish fry up the road and it was amazing-great food and beers. We had the kids so we left early, but heard it gets much more fun later into the night. So, in the end, it is not a 5 star resort, but we made the best of it, and had a great time. Buy some Kalik beer and relax...it is Bahama time.

Room Tip: Since we had two rooms back to back, ask for a room with a balcony, the front rooms are dark. Balco...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

The staff is excellent and cheerful. Omar is the best! Loved Krystal too. The older rooms are quite funky and the beach is lovely, clean and good for long walks.