“Thumbs Up for Grand Lucayan”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Had a great time and the Grand Lucayan. Beautiful hotel and grounds. Check-in was easy.We got a corner room on the 10th floor with a view of the ocean and the city. The room was comfortable, some rust spots in the bathroom but nothing to write home about. Beware of the pizza room service, the Bahamas are not known for their pizza for a reason. We ate the the marketplace directly across the street which had some great food. Loved the coconut pancakes for breakfast. Great service. Try not to get roped in by the timeshare reps though. We went in February so the water was still cold but the beach was very well kept. The entire resort was not all open, just 2 of the buildings. We were invited to a social at the hotel with free drinks and hors d'oeuvres and were suprised by the live band in bahamian dress who danced and marched to several locations at the resort. Fanastic! We visited several locations in Freeport and the dolphin swim which is also in walking distance from the resort. I would definitely return but not in February. Wait until the water warms up!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on an upper floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Eric T

Reviewed 28 March 2012

First of all, we were told that there were two types of accommodations at the Grand Lucayan - the Radisson (high-rise hotel rooms) and the Reef (low-rise condo-type rooms). We chose the Reef and learned from our taxi driver that the Reef had been closed for 2 years!!!!

When we arrived at the hotel, they couldn't find our reservation because they apparently had it misspelled (although it was spelled correctly on all my email confirmation from them). We were told that our room wasn't ready yet and waited for several hours until the designated time (although everyone else's rooms were ready).

When we went back at the designated time, my name was still misspelled and the room was still not ready.

On our third attempt to check in, the staff member corrected my name in the computer and (not surprisingly to us) assigned us a room in the high-rise building. I stated that I'd prefer to have the accommodations that we booked, but there was really nothing that he could do because the Reef has been closed. I asked how long it had been closed (since I'd only booked the reservations the month before) but it was obvious that he had been trained to be evasive in answering (I can't imagine that I could have been the only one offered accommodations in the condos). I do want to mention that this gentleman was very polite and tried to be very helpful.

Anyway, the room was horrible. Room 527 was exactly what we were hoping to avoid when booking a high-rise. It overlooked several lower buildings and all of the air conditioning equipment. We could not open our balcony doors because the noise (from the air conditioners) was very loud. Oh, and did I mention that they were considering this an Upgrade from my original reservations?

The room was clean. Towels were clean and soft. There was shampoo, conditioner and soap.

The pool and beach area was nice. It gets a bit crowded during the day because of the day-cruisers but it certainly wasn't over-crowded. I suggest that you just walk up to the bar for a drink. It takes a very long time for the runners to come back with your order.

The beach is beautiful. Once you get back a small rocky area, it is a beautiful mile long walk to the jetty if you head to the right.

Apparently, you have to ask for a wristband. We were not given one during any of our three attempts to check in. Every morning when we were walking on the beach, security would come up to us and ask where our wristbands were. We just stated that we weren't given one and that was that. Also, we were asked about our wristbands one night after returning from dinner - at the time we were using our ROOM KEY to enter the front gate. I'm not sure where or why you're supposed to have wristbands, but it's sure a hassle having to explain that you don't have one a couple of times each day.

I didn't eat in the restaurants - there were just too many good ones across the street at the market. I did have a burger at the poolside bar which was mediocre.

This place is okay. But our main purpose of this stay was to relax. Between the check in process, the loud ac noises in the rooms and the wristband police, it definitely wasn't the calm, peaceful relaxing experience that we were hoping for.

Room Tip: High floors probably have better views and less noise. Don't stay on the 5th floor with the non...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kimmykay1964
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We took the Celebration Cruise to Freeport, Bahamas. Staying two nights in the Grand Lucayan, Sea Horse Road. It is a beautiful resort with everything you would want. Beautiful ocean beach, endless pool, wonderful rooms. We were in walking distance to the Casino, many resuturants and a little harbor where you could take many day trips. The hightlight for us was a dolphin encounter which was above all expectations. All day long in the lobby there was piano playing with all the relaxing songs. I cannot wait to go back for a longer stay, to us it was true paradise!

Room Tip: We had a harbor view which was beautiful but next time I want an ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank StevesHafner
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We were at the Grand Lucayan for a 4 night stay and enjoyed ourselves once we got settled. I agree with most previous reviews that this hotel does have stunning ocean views and it is very clean. When we first arrived I felt the hotel was a bit dated and I was a little unsure of my choice for a short getaway. In the end we were very pleased.

Some tips we learned on our journey:

Bring money: Everything (including the market place) is on the expensive side for drinks and dining. It is worth every penny but be prepared to spend. You can find some things on the less expensive side but you really have to look around.

Restaurants: We never ate at the hotel (other than Starbucks for coffee and Hammerheads for afternoon cocktails) and found everything we needed in the marketplace. Agave was our favorite restaurant by the end of the trip. Their home made white Sangria was very good (on the sweet side) and their Jerk chicken burrito was our favorite! We ate at After Deck for lunch one day-it was good but small portions for what they charge you-wouldn't go back. Cracked conch and jerk chicken were very good. Ate at Zorbas one night and guess from all the hype I was expecting more. It was only ok. Our favorite quick stop was the conch shack by the marina. They have excellent conch salad and conch fritters at very reasonable prices. I highly recommend you stop there at least once to taste the conch. For a special celebration dinner we went to The Flying Fish across the way at the Pelican Bay hotel. If you are a "foodie" this is the place for you. They have a very fancy atmosphere, beautiful views and the food is extremely complicated. We ate every bite and enjoyed it but be prepared to pay for it too $$$$$. It was really nice if you are want to do something special during your vacation. We did have to take my son to Dominos after dinner because he is not used to "foodie" portions.

Our favorite watering hole was Sharkeys. They had excellent Bahama Mama drinks and you could take them to go while you shopped. We also had drinks at Hammerheads pool bar at the hotel - one guy didn't even put any rum in my drink so I had a glass full of mixer for $8.00-he said the booze was already in the mixer. A little later when I had the same drink with a different bartender he poured two different rums into the glass with the same mixer. Huh? You can buy a bucket (6) of Kalik bahamian beer at the bar for $12.99 which was good but poorly advertised.

Marketplace: When you go into the marketplace you will be attacked in the center square by people trying to get you to see their hotel and sell you timeshares. We had fun with them but some were relentless so beware. To the left of the center square there was a stand selling drinks in coconut shells that looked very fun. You may want to stop there first so you are prepared for timeshare sales people. Each night they have entertainment in the stage area of the marketplace. This was really nice to experience after a nice dinner. We also walked the docks of the marina to look at the incredible fishing boats which was fun.

Excursions: We went on one snorkel trip. We booked directly at the reef tours building at the marina. When inquiring all over about how to book a snorkel trip we received different prices from all kinds of people. When we went to the reef tour building they said $100 for two adults and one 12 year old. I am still not sure how much it actually costs to go on this boat but we were happy with the price and the trip was good. We went Sunday morning and there were only 27 people on the big boat so we were very comfortable.

Favorite hotel secret location: If you go to the beach to the left of the resort if you are facing the ocean you will find an edgeless pool that overlooks the ocean. It is a little bit of a hike on the beach with your stuff to get there but it is worth it. Bring a towel as the towel hut is not open. The pool is very clean, they have a huge hot tub that is actually hot/clean and the beach is breathtaking. The beach is in a rounded bay area so the waves are not as big as they are near the main pool. It is a great spot for kids. There were also shells near the rock end of the beach. The pool has a shelf where lounge chairs are put into about 6 inches of water so it is like you are sunning yourself on top of the water. The best part about this beach is that it was virtually empty every other day! We had the pool/beach to ourselves most of the time. The hotel offers an excursion to one of the cruise boats so every other day you will be sharing the space with cruise ship people but even then it wasn't crowded. On cruise ship day the snack bar is open with music so it is more festive and the dolphin encounter brings their dolphins into the bay and they do some tricks. On non-cruise ship day it is quiet, private and gorgeous but the facilities are not running. We usually have a small cooler with us when we travel just in case we need to bring our own beverages which came in handy for this location. This was our favorite part of the resort.

Water sports: The water sport people anchor a water trampoline into the ocean. It is $20.00 for a full day and $10.00 for a half day. Your kid gets a bracelet and can go on as many times as they want. Be sure to bring some cash to the beach if you want to treat your child to some fun. They will throw you off if you don't have the bracelet. Not very well advertised. Their other sports looked like fun too (parasailing, jet skis, snorkeling).

Junkanoo: At 6:00 each night (except Sunday) they have a Junkanoo parade with music and costumes. Really fun to watch for kids and from your ocean view balcony.

FYI the hotel is only about 10 minutes from the airport. Our driver picked us up 3 hours before the flight was to leave. It killed me to sit for that long in the airport when I could have been on the beach for my last couple of hours. Customs is right in the Bahamian airport so once you arrive back to the US you don't have to go through customs again which is nice. The airport is not a busy place but we may have been there on an off day (traveled Thursday-Monday) and breezed right through.

Overall it was a great getaway for 4 days. Definitely upgrade to the ocean view room and ask for the higher floors. It is a little dated but the hotel is very clean. I was really impressed with how much work was constantly going on while we were there. It is a very convenient place to go for a short trip. You do not have to venture far to get everything you need: Bahamian atmosphere, good food, entertainment, water sports, shopping and beautiful carribean beach. .

Room Tip: The beds are super comfortable! I paid for a "luxury" ocean view room which I am not sure...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
15  Thank tadtraveler
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Just returned from 5 days at Grand Lucayan Bahamas. This hotel should be wonderful!
BUT management needs some improvement. the service level delpends very much on the department (poor roomservice, excellent beach-dinner)

You have to wear a wrist band for what reason we could not find out!
each bill has to be signed: final bill was correct

most of the restaurant are closed (march 2012),
We were lucky to have an ocean view room on the 9th floor,

at all morningtimes a tractor is cleaning the beach
you couldimagine: load diesel engine 20 year old..

Staff very friendly but too many of them doing nothing.
we will fix... but nothing happened..

watersport: hobie cat katamarn equipment is ok for such location
snorkeling: 35$ per day with boat positioned at rief
remark: incoming sportfisherboats do often dump their sanitary close (500 m) from beach

local market very close. restaurants ok, shops: poor quality

Room Tip: Ask for a room from the 8th floor up, ocean view

Room Tip: ocean view; level 8
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wolfgang G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
0.9 km away
3.1 km away
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
#12 of 14 in Freeport

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!