“Trip was free and still somewhat dissapointed”

Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I felt inclined to write a review because I frequently come on here to make decisions on where to go but in this case the trip ( Air/ Hotel) was paid for. What I can say is that if we would have had to pay for this trip I would have been terribly disappointing. The beach towers are definitely dated but more importantly the amount of money that is charged is outrageous not to mention every time you swipe that room key for a transaction a 15% gratuity is added to the bottom line. The one and only activity we did while there was the " shallow water" Dolphin experience ($150/ per person). Total time of this activity was 1 hr but after the orientation it was more like 35 minutes and after that the cheapest pictures you could get was $80 and you only got a few printed pictures, no CD or flash drive. If you wanted all of your pictures on a CD with a few printed that costs $149. TOTAL $449. Personally, my wife and I like to experience the culture that makes up the area we stay and this place was so big you aren't a short walk to anywhere. If you have a few kids and an extra $10,000 for the trip it may be the place for you but for couples, there are many many places for less money that would be better. Will not be going back

Room Tip: Buy alcohol once landing in Bahamas.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank N0la985

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Atlantis is an ambitious development, very well appointed, with spacious rooms (we were in the cove tower with beautiful views of the ocean) and grand public spaces. Unfortunately the infrastructure is inadequate to move easily around the property. I was attending a convention, and while they boast a shuttle service, it was not timely as advertised, making it difficult to get to meetings on time. While the service is very friendly, and all try to accomodate, the skill level of the employees is lacking, making service mediocre at best. My wife and i agreed it is way too bustling for a laid back beach vacation. Probably a good place to take the kids, because there are a variety of activities....but not a "relaxing" place, which is why we go to the islands.

Room Tip: go to the cove, and get ocean front
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank withawind
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I went here with my mom and sister and just loved this place. Where to start as soon as you get out of the cab and walk up you see how awesome this place is. The ocean is glisting behind it. You wak in and your greated by a wonderful staff. The surroundings are just breath taking. It is a pretty far walk to the rooms but so worth it you get to see a lot of the lay out of the resort. The room are really clean and nice.There are plenty of places to eat here at this resort the food prices are a little high but the food i good. The drinks are awesome as always.

Plenty to do for all ages you have the casino that is open 24-7, they have plenty of up scale shopping, they have there beauitful aquarium that you could just look at for hours. Or they have plenty of pool slides and pool activities. You can just relax in the sun or even go down to the ocean for a nice dip. Make sure you bring your scuba or snorkeling ear with you. Love this place

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank scubahottie1972
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My family and I stayed at the Atlantis Paradise Island Bahamas hotel in July of 2011, what a huge mistake we made in going to this rundown, poorly maintained, filthy place. Everything seemed nice when we checked in [note: the time share people waste no time while your trapped on line trying to check into your room] we were early so our bags went some wear and we headed out to the beach for lunch. On the way we found the changing room in a cave area that smell like foot and vomit . we proceeded to eat and walk around to see the place [ we were in the beach tower area] the complex is impressive until my son 16 said “ they are really making the place look like the lost city of Atlantis from thousands of years ago “ I said “ what do you mean” he said there is metal rods sticking out of the rock and the place looks like it is falling down” and I looked at the built in game table in the rock and it was falling apart like many of the other parts of the hotel.
We got to our room and it was filthy but my wife always brings Lysol wipe so after a little cleaning we could unpack. During our stay we also found that if you stay at the beach tower you are treated differently for restaurant reservations and by the staff and that front desk in the tower does not provide any services you have to walk 10 minutes to the next towers lobby to get change or any thing. The maid berated me and my family for leaving the room too late when we came back at 3:30pm and found her sitting in our room reading our time magazine [ she never did clean the room that day] and another day she berated us when we returned to the room after breakfast, she got so mad she left her cleaning stuff in the room if you can call two wet filthy rags cleaning supplies. The room was rarely cleaned and always smelled.
During our stay we took advantage of the pools and water park area, the pool areas are also falling apart and have garbage floating in them that never seems to get removed and the life guards that sit in there chairs and sleep half the time, leaving you with the feeling its not safe to let my young children swim on there own in the pools [ so know rest for the parents while at the pools. The water park is nice but you have to wait in long lines because the hotel sells passes to people from outside the hotel [ cruise ships ]. Note use the cruise ship bathroom near the water park, they are better maintained and cleaner then to one the hotel provides for the hotel guest [which except for the newer hotels are dirty and smell. It appears to me that the beach, Coral and royal Towers are not being maintained and that all of the effort focuses the new building.
The restaurants we had two very bad experiences, we attempted to eat at Fathoms one night and the food was infested with little black flies [on anything that was cold]. When I said something to the wait person she smiled and walked away 3 times, until I just gave up. Then we ate at the buffet in the Royal towers , which look very nice, my wife and son had the stir-fry. That night and all of the next day [ that we were traveling home] my wife and son were sick so much so the my son ended up in the hospital after passing out from dehydration and hitting his head. I think it is how they handle the raw meats [pork, beef, chicken and shrimp] with the same utensils they serve the cooked food with on the cooking surface, they empty the raw food onto the cook top with the utensils, then move it around pressing down on it then they use the same tools to pickup the cooked food and put it on your plate [moving straight from the raw meat to the cooked food] . My son spent two nights in the hospital before he could go home [because he hit his head when he fell ]. One additional thing they advertized that children eat free and I asked the first meal the person said they will take it off at the end before I get the bill but they didn’t do that and with my wife and son vomiting in the hotel lobby bathroom I didn’t have time to deal with it at the hotel.
In closing we have been to this hotel three times it has gotten so bad I would never stay in this hotel again, the staff berates you and lies to you to your face, the hotel and grounds are so rundown that it is unsafe and uncomfortable, there is a cleanliness problem in the rooms ,building, ground and especially the restaurants. The pool staff sleeps on the job or is trying to meet girl/guys [ socializing ]so much so that you can’t even feel that the pools are safe. I am contacting a lawyer about the food poisoning that my wife and son had as well as the Bahamas health ministry. The hotel is rundown physically and the staff does not behave in a professional manner.

Room Tip: don't stay at Atlantis, rooms are filthy
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
30  Thank William U
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Went to they Atlantis resort and had a wonderful time the staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. We stayed in cove which was amazing, what we most enjoyed was the water parks and the Food, we ate at the new Baberque resturant Virgil's where a young lady by the name of Lakeisha B took wonderful care of us she really made our trip extra special would recommend this resort for a extraordinary vacation

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
0.9 km away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
0.2 km away
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
8.4 km away
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!