“First time Sandals”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Florida City, Florida
“First time Sandals”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was our first time visiting a sandals resort , and we will be sure to go back , the service was outstanding , the staff is always ready to help , great for a honeymoon , or getaway weekend , the small island they have is great , the restaurants and food were great , Kimonos was fantastic , the airport transfers and check in and out are fast and very convinient . no complaints on this one , well worth the money .
great trip

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,043)
  • Polish first
hamiltonm
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We have just returned after another great trip to this hotel. We had a great cab driver, Ricardo, who was very friendly and made the ride from the hotel to the airport very pleasant. I had already done an on-line check in, so the check in at the resort was very fast.
The restaurants and rooms were great, although we were a little disappointed withKimono's this time. I was pleasantly surprised to recognise many Sandals employees there from 5 years ago when we last visited including Our dive masters Damien and Ramone who were just as helpful as ever. Arizona deserves a special mention as a waitress with the biggest smile and the hostess at Casanova's.
We had a great time with the Playmakers, Kendell and Jason, Tanya, Elain, Ian and Po- Po. Kendall and Jason, went out of their way to entertain everyone and accomodate peoples requests. Kendall, always has a smile on his face, and is so positive, it's contageous.
We had butler service, which gave you a great room and dinner at Gordon's on the pier ( which was lovely) and car service to and from the hotel which was nice, but for us, we are busy, so really did not make use of their services, although the treats left in the room in the evening were a pleasant little extra.
I still don't understand why for a 5 star all -inclusive resort, Sandals make guest pay extra for internet, just a small thing, but really can't this be included ?

All in all, a great trip, we will be back.

1 Thank trew9876
Livingston, Louisiana
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our trip. We went the first week of September and nearly missed our opportunity to go because we live in Louisiana and Hurricane Isaac hit on Wednesday and we flew out the Saturday after (September the 1st and were to stay until September the 8th).

Overall, the grounds are beautiful and well-kept. We were given the "upgrade" from our honeymoon suites to the Windsor tower. I strongly recommend that if you are given this upgrade that you decline it. The rooms are clean and well kept in the Windsor tower, but the honeymoon suites were nice and secluded (but you can't see the ocean from them) and appeared to be newer. They have their own pools and are like little apartments. Too bad we missed out on this. The upgrade came with a free mini-bar, but we aren't big drinkers- we enjoyed the ginger ale =-). The staff was all very nice for having do deal with a bunch of self-entitled tourists all day. I wanted to tip some of them SO badly because their service was outstanding... better than many places at home.

The cons... it smelled of sewage which I assume is because there is no natural sources of fresh water on the island and everything has to be recycled, so yay for recycling. (Too bad about the smell.) Also, if you are not a social person or a drinker, you may want to consider that much of everyone else there is. The Windsor pools seems to be where the day activities are held, which includes a lot of drinking games and party music, while the Balamoral Tower (spelling...?) is where you can relax, and it's a short walk. The pools have a HUGE amount of chlorine in them. It really burns your eyes to go underwater, but at least they're clean! After being there for 7 days, you sort of get tired of eating the same things. We got a touch of island fever at around day four. We went into town once, but the town is really small and there wasn't much going on, so the rest of the time was spent on the resort grounds. We saw a lot of people snorkling in the ocean and we wanted to buy some goggles and there was no place to get them, so I recommend that you bring some from home, as the water is pretty and you'll want to play in it! One thing that they don't tell you upfront is that if you get a spa service, there is an additional service fee they tack on in additioin to the outrageous fee you pay ahead of time for the service itself. We got the couples massage (which were AWESOME) and when we were leaving they told us there was an additional $30 service fee, which brought the total to almost $300. That's not cool.

The pros: Like I said the grounds were beautiful and well-kept. The food was also really tasty, although each restaurant had a lot of the same things. We didn't have a problem making reservations like some people did, but this may be because we went during a less active time? IDk, it just wasn't an issue. We also didn't have to fight for towels or chairs like some people claimed. The nice giant cabanas were reserved for butler guests, but there were plenty of umbrella-covered chairs and some cabanas that were not reserved. Sandals Cay is VERY nice and probably our favorite part of the trip. We spend about three days there laying on the beach and playing in the water... plus it didn't smell like sewage there. TIP: When going to Sandal's Cay, you have to take the boat. Upon arriving, everyone on the boat immediatly goes for the chairs along the beach that they are immediatly facing... but... if you go through the restaurant to the other side of the island (very short walk), there's an even better beach with more umbrellas and chairs that is just so lovely!

The facility does a great thing by making each night a different theme or activity, so even though you do sort of get "island fever," they do change it up and its nice. We REALLY enjoyed the Bahamagician.

Overall, you get out of it what you put into it. My husband and I figured it up and you really get a great deal to go all-inclusive. We would definitely return to a Sandals again. Probably not this one, as we want to try a different one next time.

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon garden suites!
3 Thank Crystal D
Cheshire
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Real gem of a holiday resort. Like all sandals hotels, attention to detail is excellent with plenty to do or not to do. The choice is yours. We spent from the 12/09/12 to the 21/09/12 there and didn't feel that this was long enough. Few things which could be improved on, which were really only minor are that for an all exclusive holiday I didn't think it correct to charge for dinner at one of the restaurants if you didn't have Butler service (Gordons on the Pier), so didn't go there, or wifi (this doesn't really warrant any charge at all and $42 per week is a lot). Additional room toiletries also could be non chargeable. All as I said are minor issues. Also it may be wise to avoid room 117 in the Balmoral tower as it is next to the lift and cleaner store so can be a little noisy sometime, we had this room but it didn't ruin our break though.
Now for the good stuff. Staff are absolutely excellent and can never do enough to assist you in and around the hotel complex. Food is excellent and with 4 choices for breakfast (in room or three restaurants), you should never be stuck for choice. For lunch there are 4 choices of place to eat everyday and for dinner 6, so it would be difficult to go hungry. One tip though is to book the restaurants requiring dinner reservations, as soon as you get there, as it is difficult to choose exactly what day you wish to eat where in these, due to demand (not a bad thing). Of the two main pools the Windsor is the most lively with the Balmoral a little less noisy and if you like you can soon travel the short distance by boat to the island which is really worthwhile for relaxing.
At night time there is plenty going on with regular live music brought in and entertainment in the Royal lounge. By far though the most popular area in the evening is the piano bar. Really good piano players ably assisted by high spirited guests, who have sampled top bar man Sherwin's delightful concoctions, create a wonderful experience into the wee small hours.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Balmoral Tower are the most up to date and have been refurbished to a high standard. Hi...
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is a long review but with the negative reviews I read, I want to give my positive experience. Concierge check in was very easy & quick. I was by myself for the one night and next day due to airline circumstances. Didn't want to eat alone so asked if I could get reservations to Kimonos. I was checking in at 6:20p.m and eating at Kimonos at 6:30. They added a space for me and I had a great dinner with fun people. My luggage was in my room when I came back from dinner. The next morning my continental breakfast was delivered during the time frame I ordered. I went to the spa and had two treatments with Kendra. The service and spa was excellent, so relaxing. Special thanks to Kendra. I called concierge at 9 am and had my dinner reservations by 1 pm. Thanks to Rashad. We were staying a week so we got Cafe Goombay on Friday and Baccarat on Saturday. Went to Managers cocktail party Monday night and met several members of the management team. A few standouts were Angella director of guest services and Kayla training manager. They were interested in how things were going and that I enjoyed myself. Shoutout to Sherwin who was making great cocktails. I'm assuming as a result of this party I received a call on Thursday from Erica of guest services to see if we needed anything. I also received a call from Kayla on Wednesday night and we had a good talk about how things were going. She also called on Friday night and since we were out she left a voice mail. Housekeeping was good. I did have a tough time getting a notepad and door hangers to order breakfast. Finally got those after several requests. One day washcloths were missing but a call to front desk promptly got them to our room. Turn down service was nice touch. All personnel greeted us as we walked the grounds or halls of the hotel. Some were more genuine than others but it was a nice touch. No matter who I asked for directions, they were helpful and made sure I got to where I wanted to go.
Food: Breakfast buffet good at Spices. Excellent at Baccarat, eggs benedict and mimosas. Ate lunch at Cafe Goombay on the island twice. Loved the conch. Good atmosphere and service. Spices good for lunch also. Ate dinner twice in Crystal room. Superb prime rib. First night service was poor. Second night service was excellent thanks to Mizpah who did a super job. Baccarat was excellent, great atmosphere and service. My boyfriend ordered 3 lobster tails and I had a double order of the crab cakes, yum! Cafe Goombay dinner was excellent. They had bug spray and some diners used it but we didn't need it. I had the Mahi Mahi and it was very good. The service was so fast I was amazed at how fast out food came. The boat trip over to the island was rough but we made it safely. Special thanks to the boat crew. We ate several times at the Pub. We liked the food but the best was our server Marcian. He went the extra mile to give excellent service. He was a bright spot during our trip. He served dishes on top of his head.
We had rough seas and steady breezes so our water sports was limited. We were able to go snorkeling which was fun. Thanks to Ian and the crew who were very professional. So overall we had an excellent time and will return to this resort. I hope Tripadvisor members find this review helpful.

Room Tip: Windsor building 4th floor room 421 had balcony direct ocean view. At the end of the hall and very...
13 Thank ColoradoJoanLUVJA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
10.0 km away