“Perfect place to stay in Cruz Bay”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Laingsburg, Michigan
“disappointing and upsetting”
Reviewed 20 August 2015 for a stay in May 2015
people found this review helpful

My husband and I have stayed at the Amore property several times while visiting family in St. John. We are usually happy with the Schnells and the quality of the property. Unfortunately, this occasion was quite different. During our last night in the room, the water supply line blew out of the wall in our bathroom. The entire unit rapidly filled with water while I alerted the front desk employee. It took the employee far too long to get to our room and get the water shut off. In the meantime, my husband pulled the toilet out in order for the water to drain. Without a doubt, my husband saved the Schnells from thousands of dollars of damage. We spent over an hour mopping up the mess and cleaning the room while the front desk employee just stood there. We left that night stressed out and sweaty from the incident. In the end, we stayed with our family, so we would be out of their way. Upon checking out, Mrs. Schnell was rude to my husband and simply said, "I don't know what to say." Needless to say, we were not happy about the events that occurred, but are aware that accidents happen. After more than a month had passed, I found a $1500.00 charge made on our credit card without notice or explanation. After trying to resolve this with the owners, they stated that my husband had caused more damage to the room than the water leak would have created. I don't know how someone would know this without seeing the incident. He now wishes he would have let the water fill the unit. Why would a person take the energy to do such a thing, only to create more damage? The Schnells also stated, "they were comfortable with their reputation." Still, I write this review hoping you will be take careful consideration when staying on this property, because we will never stay on another property owned by these people again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: Being charged for damage that was not our fault.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Kittencla...
Moore, Oklahoma
“Perfect place to stay in Cruz Bay”
Reviewed 18 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

Upon arriving, I called their office to inform them we've arrived and that we'll just walk up to the location. We didn't want to inconvenience them but they would've been more than happy to greet us as the ferry arrived at the docks. It was really easy to figure out where they are located when we looked it up and we went up the stairs to the store/office to pay for our stay in full. We followed them up another short flight of stairs to the suite. It was bigger than what we thought it would be. The suite came fully equipped with a fridge, toaster oven and microwave. There's also plates, bowls and utensils available for use. There are lots of room to sit in the living room area. The TV kept us entertained at night as one of us browsed through the maps deciding what trails to hike and which beaches to hit the following day. Clean towels as well as beach towels are available. There's more clean towels along with an iron in the standing cabinet as well. The bathroom looks really nice with the bricks and especially with the wall scones. I must've stared at them for a good while because I can't get them out of my head and we eventually bought one for the light by our front door back home. Fun fact: You will notice Donald's wall scones on various locations on the island such as by the shops in Wharfside Village and Mongoose Junction. Soap, shampoo and conditioner are provided just like the ones you would get from a hotel stay. We were provided 2 of each for our 8 night stay, which was just right amount for the 2 of us. If we had run out of anything, all we had to do is ask and they would've provided us with more. There's also a hair dryer in the bathroom.

The location of this rental is perfect for us. It is a few minutes away from all the restaurants and shops in Cruz Bay as well as the grocery stores like Dolphin Market (literally right behind the building) and Starfish Market (a few minutes walk past Candi's BBQ). We didn't rent a vehicle this time around and got to everywhere we needed to go by walking. We only took the cab 3 times: twice so we didn't have to hike both ways of a trail and once from Westin when we stopped by for a visit just to see it. In fact, on the way to Westin we walked all the way up to past the huge hill to get to it when Donald spotted us and gave us a lift the rest of the way. I did not expect the huge incline on that hill at all and we were lucky that he was driving by where we were. We managed to walk all the way to the trails by the VI National Park Service building that brings us to Salomon Beach, Honeymoon Beach, Caneel Bay Beach, Turtle Bay Beach and Hawksnest Beach via hiking. There may be some loud music a night or 2 but we slept through that fine. The sounds of early commute didn't bother us either but that may have something to do with us having the AC on at night. Donald and Debbie are such a sweet couple on top of all this. They're extremely helpful with any questions you may have and knows a lot about St. John. We're definitely staying here again if we ever need a place in Cruz Bay.

Liked best: Location
Jennifer...
Laingsburg, Michigan
“What a nice surprise”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

My husband and I were not expecting much when we booked the Amore loft suite. Based on the affordability; clean is about all we were hoping for. We figured what else do you need when you are staying on a beautiful island. When we arrived in St. John, we were welcomed by the owner himself. We were so surprised when we walked into our room. It was more spacious than we imagined, equipped with a full size fridge and toaster oven. It included a table to sit at and eat with a sitting space as well. Our bed was big and comfortable and the bathroom was clean. It was stocked full of beach towels and bath towels along with extra blankets. Multiple ceiling fans hung that made for a relaxing and comfortable sleep. The location is very close to everything in Cruz Bay. If we get a chance to make it back to St. John in the future, we will book this room without hesitation.

Liked best: location
Liked least: The only negative thing I can say is that it was rather loud in the morning. We could hear construction and trucks driving by quite early in the morning.
nzklm
McLean, Virginia
“Pleasant pied-a-terre in St John, good value”
Reviewed 1 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014
people found this review helpful

Spent a terrific week in Don and Debbie's Amore Loft Suite, which is indeed a "spacious room with kitchenette" (actually, pretty close to a full kitchen except for a cooktop). It was perfect for me. The beach chairs were a great option to have, and I put the cooler that comes with the room to good use every day. Also, the kitchen had what appeared to be a brand-new Nutribullet blender, which I was excited to try out, and which I ended up using for smoothie-breakfasts every day (and some frozen rum drinks at night). The location was perfect for me: easy walking distance to town but not too busy with morning traffic/late-night revelers; 30 minute easy hike to two gorgeous beaches; and the little cafe right next door, Baked in the Sun, had fabulous croissants (but sadly no espresso drinks as their machine had died and was apparently not due to be fixed/replaced).
However, it would not have suited my husband, who's more of a Four Seasons kind of guy – so for those with luxury expectations, I should note some aspects I didn't anticipate from reading other TripAdvisor reviews. There was no daily housekeeping, thus no change of bedsheets or towels across the week, and when I first entered the room, no toilet paper in the bathroom (Debbie fixed that right away). I went to make coffee the first morning and found the coffeepot and filter full of the previous tenant's breakfast remains (not sure how long before I checked in they had checked out), and the fridge with a full bottle of leftover Bacardi, some mustard, a Diet Coke, etc. (Nothing gross, no science experiments – but it wasn't clear if they had forgotten to check/clean the fridge or had just purposely left those non-perishables in there.) The TV was very small, old-style (not flat-screen), and temperamental – it got just four or five channels. Also, I hadn't realized that the suite is a middle room of three, with the apartment on one side and the studio on the other, all accessed by the narrow arched veranda visible in the exterior photos – so others were walking right by my windows every day, meaning I had to keep the drapes closed for privacy all the time. Not a big deal to me, but maybe more important to some than to others. Finally, the shower and the bath towels had a strong musty/mildewy smell about them (I'm allergic, therefore quite sensitive) – but the beach towels provided were clean and fresh with no scent, so I just used them. In general, the furnishings were a little tired, and there were broken floor tiles, so it's not a pristine place, but it is very cozy and comfortable.
I note these things not to put the place down, just to manage expectations. Again, I found it terrific and would happily stay there again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: mildewy shower and towels
Travelling group: Solo

Favorite island. Absolutely stunnig

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing